Dial - Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial - Redux

Visited Dial on the 15th of July for the first time in four years via the Leach Trail. Last time I did this hike, it was less than two years post-fire and in a dense fog.

What a difference four years makes! Life is returning to the burned areas, the views of Dix and the Great Range are spectacular from there. The view of the Range from Dial itself is also quite nice.

The Leach Trail is still in great condition. Very soft as far as Official trails go. Is it really a 3,000 foot ascent from the Ausable Club? I took notice of the trail to Dix from there and it claims an ascent of 4000 plus feet. That would mean that valley is less than 1000 feet above sea level? Seems inconceivable that in these mountains, any area would be that low. I had never really given much thought to this before.

In any case, if you do this hike there is no water after leaving the Lake Road, so make sure you carry enough, especially on these hot days. Otherwise, it makes a nice six hour hike (including much summit time and time in the fire zone).

I get 1250 for the Ausable Club parking. If Dix is 4800 that gives a net gain of....???
    Hey, are you any good with numbers by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by neil
      I get 1250 for the Ausable Club parking. If Dix is 4800 that gives a net gain of....???
      Hey, are you any good with numbers by any chance?
      Nah. don't have to be. In accounting, we just make 'em up.

I remember taking a GPS reading at those tennis courts some time ago, and I recall a similar number.

Comment

Don't forget that when counting ascent footage, every hill along the way adds to the total. If you start at 1000 and climb to 4000 and also go up and down a 500' hill along the way, then your total ascent is 3500'.

I was studying that burned area on Wed and from afar even one can tell that it;s growing fast.

As for Dial, what a great surprise it was the firsttime I climbed it. Unheralded by seemingly everyone, Dial has a tremendous view of the lower range. A very sweet summit to be sure.
        Walk Softly

Comment

Thanks Bruce.

I never realized that was how it was calculated. I always thought it was a net gain. Now it makes a lot more sense.

Now, one more question about Dial. I seem to recall a different, more direct path through that fire zone four years ago. Granted it was so misty I could see only thirty yards, thus, I had no real reference points, but I'm almost sure there is a significant change to that trail.

Also a pre-fire question. Were there any views like the ones that now exist from that area before 1999? There are a few open ledges now. Were these completely covered with vegetation before the fire?

Comment

Dunno if there were views or not, surely none that I ever saw. I think I had previously been thru there only once pre-fire. At the time I was very tired and not so inclined to look above my weary feet!

Anybody here know what I mean?
            Walk Softly

Comment

I don't remember any views but I also was only there once before the fire. Check out my most recent set of photos for an interesting shot from UWJ of the burn area and also a couple of shots taken a week later from the middle of the burn.

http://community.webshots.com/album/396285188CErrTC
              This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Calculatrions: Darn! And I thought that if I started with Roostercomb, and did the range right to Marcy, I'd only have an ascent of 3000 feet or so.

Views before the fire? Nothing that I remember. Much of the route is different. It was re-routed just after the fire, and I don'T think there was any reason to put it back. Well maybe to get it off a muddy section? Stuff is growing so fast, that one may imagine that the path taken today, is not the same as the one taken several years ago.
                Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
                  I don't remember any views but I also was only there once before the fire. Check out my most recent set of photos for an interesting shot from UWJ of the burn area and also a couple of shots taken a week later from the middle of the burn.

http://community.webshots.com/album/396285188CErrTC
                  Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Nature always seems to find a way to cover the mistakes of man. She sometimes carries a double-edged sword, as well. Someone told me that it was actually hurricane Floyd that put the fire out? Is that true?

Comment

Working...
                  X