Gotham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotham

Instead of a day hiking, I took a jaunt to NYC. Considering that most of my free time is spent in the outdoors, this was a strange trip indeed. I parked in the Bronx, got out of the car at 207th, right at the first stairway for the subway. My girlfriend was immediately nervous. She was imagining Manhatten, high fashion, all that type of stuff. Anyway, we did all the tourist stuff, Battery park, Lady Liberty, Trade Center destruction site(which was very moving), and almost figured out how to read the subway map. Times Square was a mess as usual, and we didn't see any celebrities. I tried to find the patagonia outlet store with no luck, which was probably better for my wallet. Made it back to my car just before sunset, and drove home, taking the George Washington bridge out of town. I did buy a bootleg movie from a street vendor, which I have never done. It is Mr and Mrs jones. the new Jolie/pitt movie. It was worth the 5 bucks just to see someone stand up in front of the video camera and block the screen. I should have went hiking. I put in just as many miles though...
    set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Great trip report! I've done many of those trips for work.

Comment

Sometimes a city trip just hits the spot. The one time ive been down that way was when i was in school. I had to do some quick destressing so I drove down from albany and got into manhattan at around 230am. I drove over the brooklyn bridge and back and then drove around manhattan for a while. At around 4am I parked about a block from times square (tons of onstreet parking there at 4am on a thursday) and got some starbucks as it was the only place open. Headed back and made it to class by 8am. Very different than most of my trips up to the high peaks, but it was fun and definitely did its job.

Comment

I lived in NYC for 24 years, and only once took my car into Manhattan. You did good b parking in the Bronx.

Did you stop at Campmor on the way down? It can be pretty much along the way if you're coming down the thruway. Rt 17 (passes Campmor and EMS, and Ramsey Outdoors) then to Rt4 to the GWB. Only hassle is the no left turns in Jersey.
        Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

The Campmore store in NJ is great - everything they have in that packed catalogue of theirs you can also find in the store.

Another good place to stop is the North Face Outlet north of NYC just off the thruway in Herriman. You can get incredible deals (50-75% off) on sleeping bags, tents, jackets, clothes, packs, etc. It is hit or miss though - some times I'll stop and break my credit card other times I'll get shutout.

Comment

I have never been to the campmor store. I will definitely have to go there next time. I did go in jersy though on the way home on rte 80 to Scranton PA. We pulled off the highway for gas and chow, and I did notice that there were no left turns. Whats up with that. All the Gas stations were full service also.

Comment

Jersey doesn't trust you to pump your own gas (jersey gas is a lot cheaper, too), and they don'T trust you to turn left.

It's jersey.

When heading down to NYC on the throughway, rather than crossing the Tapanzee, get off on Route 17 (exit 14 or so). Take that for a few miles, Ramsey Outdoors is on your right. Fill up on cheaper Jersey gas, then go another 7 miles or so, and Campmor and EMS are on your left. Then go another few miles to Rte 4 to get to the GWB. It doesn't really add to the time of your trip.
              Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

I was initially planning on crossing at the GW bridge, but missed the turn. Traffic was a bit hectic. Thanks for those directions though, I've always wanted to get to those stores.

Comment

Working...
                X