Giant 7/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant 7/10

Me, my uncle, three of my cousins, and my uncle's girlfriend went up to the Adirondacks this weekend to hike Giant and Rocky Peak on Saturday and Catamount on Sunday, but since it rained all day saturday realy hard at times, so we just did Giant on Sunday Morning.
    We started at around 8:15 and It was a beautiful day with barely a cloud in the sky. The walk up was MUCH steeper than I remember, but the trails were not as wet as we expected. At the top we were alone suprisingly and there was very little haze. The Veiws were spectacular and we roamed around for a while before we headed down at 10:30. The walk down was slow because one of the hikers we were hiking with had blown out one of her knees twice and the other one once several years before. We finished at around 1:30 and we headed home Exuasted.

That mountain is STEEP!!! :?
    In the spirit of Adventure.

Re: Giant 7/10

Originally posted by Everest NBD
    You bet it is! That mountain doesn't waste any time going up.

Thanks for the reminder. I was thinking of taking a rookie (also with bad knees) out on that one. Maybe I'll go with Cascade and Porter, instead.

Comment

"Me and my uncle
      went riding down,
      South Colorado,
      West Texas bound.
      We stopped over
      in Santa Fe,
      that being the point
      just about half way.
      And you know
      it was the hottest part of the day."

Ok sorry couldn't help myself. Way to go Nick! I love Giant. It is the high peak I've climbed the most (8 times).
      This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Re: Giant 7/10

Originally posted by Everest NBD
        The first time I climbed it, I don't remember it as being much of a climb. I did it with a 5 & 6 year old, maybe that's why.

I don'T remember climbing it the3 second time, but the third time, I remember thinking, "I didn't remember this much climbing on this peak.

And it's been the same since.

Except for the Eagle Slide, or coming from the North.
        Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Wierd......... I don't remember climbing Giant all that much, or being all that impressed or tired. I've only climbed it once to Nick's 3 times.

I do remember that you wimped out on the time we did climbed it though, and you and Mom (ADKatie) refused to follow me, Ashley and my Dan over to RPR.

Once a pansy, always a pansy, I guess. We'll see how you do whacking Little Moose on Thursday.
          "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00
            Once a pansy, always a pansy, I guess. We'll see how you do whacking Little Moose on Thursday.
            Hey you don't have to take that Nick!

Ask dad how old he was when HE became a 46er!

Comment

Ya Dad you asked me to stay with Mom. Even though I happily stayed back I didn't wimp out. :mad:

Do you have something against me because I have a lower 46r number than you because on VFTT apparently you threw me off the side of Whiteface to get there first.

I forgive you anyway.
              In the spirit of Adventure.

Comment

Sorry to butt in on an intimate family affair but I found my Giant Mtn notes.
                Dominic and I did Giant in our pre-list days when he was 7 years old. We made summit via Eagle slide in 82 minutes then went down the trail to the car in 57 minutes. The only sour note of the day was the freezing rain we had to contend with.

Whoops! Sorry. My bad. Wrong page. Make that Mount Jo not Giant.

To be honest I found Giant to be really easy with a very high view/effort ratio.

Comment

I love tackling this one early in the morning to have that huge summit area all to myself. A dozen climbs (or so) and I've still never done it from the north (9N)...gotta try that longer trail sometime.

Comment

I love Giant because there are so many great ways to climb it, probably more than other high peak. You've got the short Ridge (Zander Scott) Trail, with its many open ledges, the Roaring Brook Trail that passes the pretty Roaring Brook Falls, the East Trail from Route 9 over RPR, probably the most spectacular trail in the Adirondacks, the North Trail from Route 9N, passing through beautiful woods and Owl Head lookout, and the Mossy Cascade Trail over Hopkins. Then there's the slides, 5 named, climbable slides on the west side (Eagle, Bottle, Tulip, Diagonal, and Question Mark) and the slides on the east side.

Comment

Working...
                    X