Coney Mt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coney Mt

Ok so it is not much of hike 2 miles R.T. 600 foot ascent but the view versus work may very well be the best bargain around. I think it was Spence who told me about this little gem, Thanks! I could not believe the sweeping 360 views for such little effort. It was a five hour drive round trip for a fifteen minute climb to the top. About an hour was spent up there for shameless view hogging. It took a mere ten to fifteen minutes to descend. But the view was simply outstanding. I brought the new minidvd camcorder the thing is smaller than my slr but what a nice unit it is. The problem is no stills just video. Oh and Spence there is no official state trail there just a herd path. But I'll count it anyway. This one is a keeper.

We've (Katie in particular) been eyeballing this little peak for years. It's right on the way home for us. One of these days, we're gonna make the effort to stop and climb it.

This further encourages it . Thanks
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

It just goes to show you never know what you will find. Here is a link to Barbara McMartin's description of the mt http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dpae/cons/mtns.PDF

Comment

AP, maybe it's me, but I get an error message that that web site can't be found. ???
        https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

I fixed it try it again it worked for me just now

Comment

Coney also has it own website. -CHECK IT OUT-

Comment

My family stays at Lake Eaton for a few weeks every year, so Coney is just a short trip for us. We've done it the last 4 or 5 years just because it's so easy and doesn't take long for great rewards. It's a great place to watch sunsets. Walking out at night only .4-.5 miles isn't bad at all.

The mountain across from it, Goodman is also a neat little bushwhack. The trail starts at Lumberjack spring and follows and old road for a little. In fact the trail in is mostly and overgrown paved road. If you continued on the Road it would take you up to the Litchfeild property. From the top you can see a little of Litchfeild Castle. That place is quite amazing. We flew over it in a sea plane last year from Long Lake. Quite the Chateau out in the wilderness.

Comment

Is Goodman also refered to as Litchfield Hill on some maps?

AP I'm glad you enjoyed it.
                "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"
                Cheers
                Spence

Comment

Spence thanks for mentioning this one. I never would have done it otherwise. I found it to be quite a gem.

Comment

My dad and I thought it would be a nice one to bushwhack up.
                    In the spirit of Adventure.

Comment

Is Goodman also refered to as Litchfield Hill on some maps?

yeppers

Comment

We climbed coney late this afternoon. A great view for so little effort. But, for an unmarked trail there are way too many ornge blazes on the tree and rocks.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what peaks are in the background of this photo? It is looking east-southeast from the summit of Coney toward the high peaks region:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21345570@N08/2066361817/

Comment

The Santanoni's

Panther is the big one to the left, Santanoni it the broad summit ridge (appears a little like two peaks), You can clearly see "little" Couchsachraga in front of Panther and Little Santanoni in front of the lesser Santanoni sub-peak.

I was there this summer and marveled at the same scene. Good pics

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00 View Post
                              The Santanoni's

Panther is the big one to the left, Santanoni it the broad summit ridge (appears a little like two peaks), You can clearly see "little" Couchsachraga in front of Panther and Little Santanoni in front of the lesser Santanoni sub-peak.

I was there this summer and marveled at the same scene. Good pics
                              Thanks for the info - for those who haven't been up coney my picture doesn't do the view justice as it was taken with a 5-year old hp 3 mp camera. It is much more spectacular.

Comment

Working...
                              X