Big Slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Slide

Yesterday I got to hike with both of my favorite hiking partners. The dog was the only one missing. We decided on Big Slide since it is the only peak of the 46 that Eric and I had not climbed together in winter and it was one that Charlene has not climbed in winter. Charlene is now officially an Adirondack winter hiker. This was actually her fifth winter high peak but now she has been passed by PinPin so it's official. Several groups out on this route today and in general. Looked like pretty good crowds at other trailheads as we drove by. We started out with a group of 7 women in front of us. We were all in bare boots briefly but Eric, Chalene, and I switched to snowshoes pretty quick for the added traction and to maintain the good treadway. Soon we were passed by Alain and PinPin then we passed the group of women putting on their crampons at the first lookout. It was snowing lightly and there wasn't much in the way of distant views but the snowcovered trees more than made up for that. Alain passed us again on his way down so we had the top to ourselves for lunch. There was no wind during our hike which made it feel much warmer than the temps indicated. We returned via the brothers and cold now see Giant, Hurricane, and the Great Range up to Basin. We kept our snowshoes on the whole way down. At the register I noted that a Randomscooter had signed in so he either went the other way or we passed him without recognizing each other. About an inch of very light and fluffy snow fell during our hike. We could use more snow but it was nice to use snowshoes for most of the hike. Crampons stayed in the bag although the group of women we passed early in the hike wore them the whole way.
    This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Originally posted by Rik View Post
    Yesterday I got to hike with both of my favorite hiking partners. The dog was the only one missing. We decided on Big Slide since it is the only peak of the 46 that Eric and I had not climbed together in winter and it was one that Charlene has not climbed in winter. Charlene is now officially an Adirondack winter hiker. This was actually her fifth winter high peak but now she has been passed by PinPin so it's official. Several groups out on this route today and in general. Looked like pretty good crowds at other trailheads as we drove by. We started out with a group of 7 women in front of us. We were all in bare boots briefly but Eric, Chalene, and I switched to snowshoes pretty quick for the added traction and to maintain the good treadway. Soon we were passed by Alain and PinPin then we passed the group of women putting on their crampons at the first lookout. It was snowing lightly and there wasn't much in the way of distant views but the snowcovered trees more than made up for that. Alain passed us again on his way down so we had the top to ourselves for lunch. There was no wind during our hike which made it feel much warmer than the temps indicated. We returned via the brothers and cold now see Giant, Hurricane, and the Great Range up to Basin. We kept our snowshoes on the whole way down. At the register I noted that a Randomscooter had signed in so he either went the other way or we passed him without recognizing each other. About an inch of very light and fluffy snow fell during our hike. We could use more snow but it was nice to use snowshoes for most of the hike. Crampons stayed in the bag although the group of women we passed early in the hike wore them the whole way.
    Jeez, I guess since we've only met once before, and that was also in winter, I just didnt recognize you Rik! I'm sure you must have seen me, accompanied by two lovely ladies, the sisters Arlene and Doreen. I was wearing a yellow doo-rag. Probably we passed in the flat between the Third Brother and Big Slide - I do remember seeing some some folks there. We met Alain on the Second Brother as he was coming down.

What a great day for a hike. Nice and mild (especially compared to the day before!), calm winds and a light snow falling. Perfecto!
    Scooting here and there
    Through the woods and up the peaks
    Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

Working...
    X