Street and Nye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street and Nye

Not alot to add. The trail is broke to both summits right now, sorry for any wrong detours you might find due to route finding and just taking different lines. We left lots of little side tracks up there. Other than that, it was cold enough to freeze sliced ham. Turn mayonaise into white ice, and freeze 7 grain bread. The third sock would have been handy today. Out of the 4-5 cars in the loj lot today, one was a random scooter, one an adirondack46er, and one a french rabbit. Not many others up there, the cold kept folks away. We did hear a helicopter a few times, I hope it was not for another rescue.
    set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

It was definitely a cold one over on Redfield and Cliff. I wish we had a thermometer, although perhaps it's better not to know. When I got home in Keene around 4:15pm it was minus 2F, probably a high. All I can say is that every item of clothing I used on my upper body was absolutely frozen solid and caked in ice when I got out. I even put on a fresh Arcteryx softshell for the hike out and it was frozen solid when we reached the trail head. I had great difficulty staying warm and had pretty much lost the battle by late day.
    Last edited by randomscooter; 01-27-2007, 03:30 AM.
    Scooting here and there
    Through the woods and up the peaks
    Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

I guess it wasn't just my imagination. I have to believe the temps in the High Peaks were similar to Mt Mansfield yesterday...

Statement as of 1:16 am EST on January 27, 2007

... Record low maximum temperatures set on Friday...

Three new record low maximum temperatures were set on Friday across
      Vermont.

The temperature atop Mount Mansfield Vermont on Friday only reached
      -14 degrees. This breaks the previous low maximum temperature for
      January 26th of -8 degrees set back in 1982.

The temperature at Montpelier Vermont on Friday only reached
      -2 degrees. This breaks the previous low maximum temperature for
      January 26th of -1 degrees set back in 1994.

The temperature at Saint Johnsbury Vermont on Friday only reached
      0 degrees. This breaks the previous low maximum temperature for
      January 26th of 4 degrees set back in 1912.
      Scooting here and there

Comment

It was very cold, but being prepared was the secret to this successful day. Doug and I had a inexperienced hiker (Pat) with us, which slowed things down causing more stops than we desired.
        Good luck to those who plan to follow our tracks this weekend.
        “In the dust of defeat as well as the laurels of victory there is a glory to be found if one has done his best.”
        ― Eric Liddell

Comment

pre-prepared

Originally posted by alistair View Post
          It was very cold, but being prepared was the secret to this successful day. Doug and I had a inexperienced hiker with us, which slowed things down causing more stops than we desired.
          Good luck to those who plan to follow our tracks this weekend.
          I wonder if anyone who was out on Friday had started with the body warmers tucked in your waist if that would have helped? Maybe Mother Nature will give us another shot this winter to try it out:-)
          Happy Trails!
          Barb

Comment

Your track was just fine. (We actually got to see the "camp" that we missed last week.) Judy and I followed them on Saturday--Not as cold as Friday was for you guys, it was 5 degrees when we started. We had a gentle steady snow all day. Quite a difference (except for the temps which were -10 last Sunday morning) from last week when we had beautiful blue skies. It was funny to see our week old tracks here and there as we climbed. It was a busy day as we met a dozen other hikers on the trail. So we hit Street first and made our 2nd visit to Nye in 6 days It was stoopid to make 2 trips but we really enjoyed the route--great snow and surroundings--so we weren't that upset to repeat. If it was a 14 mile death march I'm sure we'd feel differently Giant and RPR next Saturday--any interest?
            http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/557275787MBkbDN

Comment

Originally posted by billandjudy View Post
              So we hit Street first and made our 2nd visit to Nye in 6 days It was stoopid to make 2 trips but we really enjoyed the route--great snow and surroundings--so we weren't that upset to repeat.
              If you ever decide to do your weekly 46ers then you'll be one Nye ahead of the game.
              Scooting here and there

Comment

Weekly??? We're working on yearly

Comment

Hey Hillman,

How was sleeping out in the car on Thurs night??? I was thinking about you...it was a cold one.

Snickers
                  Snickers
                  I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
                  -Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                  X