Tabletop/TR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabletop/TR

This report is a little delayed due to laziness on my part. This hike actually happened on Friday.
    Towards the end of the week when trying to plan a hike Eric told me that he was fighting off a bit of illness and didn't feel 100%. He asked me to plan something moderate so somehow I chose these two peaks. The other factor was snow showers and the likelihood that we would not have much in the way of views.
    We drove up on snow covered roads and found only a few cars parked at the trailhead. It looked like most were headed to Algonquin and that the last group to go to Tabletop had done so three days previous.
    The trail to Marcy Dam was frozen boot prints mostly with a covering of light snow. The footing was awkward but not terrible. We used just boots and carried snowshoes and crampons. We didn't see anyone for most of the day. It's always nice to be the first one to track through snow even if it is only an inch or two. Soon after leaving the trail for the herd path we put on snowshoes mostly for traction and to keep the path in good condition. The walk to the top was uneventful. There were views only of the inside of a cloud and it was snowing lightly. After some lunch we headed down where we ran into one hiker coming up. Once back on the trail we went down little and then headed into the woods towards TR. The snow was crusty with a little powder on top. Again snowshoes helped with traction. Part way up we found the herd path which seems to be getting more and more defined since last time I was there. There are several cut branches and even some axe blazes. We followed the path to the top. Tabletop was the only thing visible through the falling snow. We stayed on the path down so there are/were two sets of tracks from the marked trail. We kept our snowshoes on until Marcy Dam where we again saw the other hiker from Tabletop. We saw two others on the way out that had been to Marcy and said it was icy and windy. The snow was falling quite steadily at Marcy Dam when we left. Another nice day in the woods.
    This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Rik-

Were Ash's and my wrong trail snowshoe prints still visible? It took us several attempts to get on the herdpath. First we went up the stream bed until it turned into nothing. Where is TR?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeharo View Post
      Rik-

Were Ash's and my wrong trail snowshoe prints still visible? It took us several attempts to get on the herdpath. First we went up the stream bed until it turned into nothing. Where is TR?
      Hi Mike,
      A group of six had done Tabletop three days previous so the path was very obvious. Along those lines I see there are a couple of red trail markers at the beginning of the path to keep people on the right track. It was snowing lightly so any false tracks should be covered by now.
      And TR is a little peak between Tabletop and Colden. It is named on the newer ADK maps but not on the old ones or on the NG map.

Comment

Originally posted by Rik View Post
        Along those lines I see there are a couple of red trail markers at the beginning of the path to keep people on the right track..
        ON that note, When did the Tabletop junction trail marker sign go up. As Rik already stated there are a couple Red Trail Markers which were clearly visable on Friday, maybe Pete you would know if TT is slowly being made into a Marked Trail, or maybe someone just put the red trail markers up.
        I have noticed over the past few years that TT seems to be a very well worn trail, In non winter TT could almost pass for a maintained trail.
        Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Will Rogers

Comment

I did TR back in October with a friend...we also found the herd path with the "axe" blazes and old sawed off branches. We questioned whether or not we found the correct summit...we came across an open area where the herd path no longer seemed to exist...however, I didn't see any signs or markings...Was wondering if you found anything up there?
          HIKING: "It's what I do"

Comment

Originally posted by Trek4dm View Post
            I did TR back in October with a friend...we also found the herd path with the "axe" blazes and old sawed off branches. We questioned whether or not we found the correct summit...we came across an open area where the herd path no longer seemed to exist...however, I didn't see any signs or markings...Was wondering if you found anything up there?
            We found no signs or markers. It was the second time I have been up there and didn't find a sign either time. The herd path seemed clearer this time but we obviously could not see how much of a treadway there is due to the snow.

Comment

You can't stray to far from TT's herdpath. It's thick

Comment

Working...
              X