BIG SLIDE - #46!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG SLIDE - #46!

After somehow jumpstarting my body after the previous day's Santas hike, Dan and I met up with Dick Hihn at the Garden at 7. If there is a nicer man on the planet, I haven't met him. He greeted us with muffins and a demeanor that makes you want to hike with this guy no matter how swollen your knees are, or how bad your back hurts. Unfortunately, his lovely wife Joanne could not join us because she had to work (I know, how does one let real-life responsibilities get in the way of hiking? ) We started out at about 7:15, taking the route up over the Brothers. What a spectacular hike! The views over the Brothers were tremendous! The trail was in fine shape (keep in mind that we had just hiked the Santas. A trail of broken glass under sniper fire would have seemed like heaven. No really, this is a nice trail). Dan and I missed the Bradley Pond/Couch muck, so we stepped in it whenever we could, even if we didn't have to.

The final approach to BIg Slide was steep, but we have all seen much tougher.

At 10:25am on June 23, 2005, I became a 46er! It was an honor to have another 46er, Dick, there with me. I was blessed to be able to finish with my son ( a mere 18er, heh, heh, heh), who started with me 5 years and 3 days ago. We did a loop hike that day from the Loj over Marcy and Skylight in rain, sleet (at the summit) and 60 mph winds. I remember being so tired, I could barely walk to campsite #35. Yet, I got up the next day to do Wright. Somehow, I was hooked.

Ah, memories.

Back to Big Slide. After some very nice summit time with one of the best views in the mountains, we descended the brook trail towards JBL and out. We arrived back at the Garden just before two, said our goodbyes and headed for home. By eight, I was back in Victor, dead-tired, but satisfied. Today I hurt like Hell.

DIck, it was truly my honor to hike this one with you and I thank you for coming along with Dan and me. Hope to hike again with you (and Joanne) soon.

Congrats on becoming a 46er! Not only is Dick a nice guy but he is a hiking machine lately! I'll bet he's done more since classes ended than most of his students!
    This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

What a peak to save for last...Congratulations Silverback!

Comment

Congratulations Silver on doing all 46 of 'em! So, now what about the "other" 54?

Comment

Welcome aboard Mike!

I'm sorry I couldn't make it. You had a beautiful day, that's for sure. So what is next on the agenda? The rest of Dan's 46, firetower peaks, ADK HH? In case it hasn't sunk in, you can do whatever the heck you want! If you're like me, you saw some interesting places that had to put in a 'to do' list. Whatever you decide, the pressures off, life's a bowl of cherries.

Make sure you get your hiking info into the 46rs ASAP. That way, you can get the patch to put on the pack. Nothing says" Big Time Operator" like a 46r patch.

Young Tom and I have a hiking agenda for this summer, so we'll keep you posted as to when and where. If things don't work out, we'll see you at the induction ceremonies next year. Congratulations!!
          https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Mike,

Congrats on becoming a 46er. Hopefully I will finish next year. Big Slide is a beauty isnt it? I hope to finish on Giant!

Adam
            OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
            Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by neil
              Congratulations Silver on doing all 46 of 'em! So, now what about the "other" 54?
              I'm sorry Neil, you must be mistaken. There are ONLY 46 mountains. really! Only 46.... only 46..... only 46....

No more marathons, no more lists.

Tom is right, there are a lot of interesting things that I found/heard about along the way. I want to visit those places. I want to re-visit at least 40 of my old friends ( there are a few I'd rather not see again. Cliff for one, but I'll do it if Dan wants me along). Most importantly, I want to jump in on some hikes with many of you folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback
                Most importantly, I want to jump in on some hikes with many of you folks.
                7am. Tuesday, July 5th. AMR parking lot for Nippletop Slide.

Comment

Re: BIG SLIDE - #46!

DIck, it was truly my honor to hike this one with you and I thank you for coming along with Dan and me. Hope to hike again with you (and Joanne) soon.
                  All my pleasure, really! Nice to meet you and Dan finally. I really can't imagine hiking even something as "normal" as Big Slide the day after doing all three Santas! It's been a while since I did Big Slide, so it was nice to revisit it. Bravo, and congratulations! Yes, I hope we do get out on the trail together again this summer.

Rik, hiking machine? Not really, just doing what we normally do this time of year. Actually I'm usually rather jealous of all the hiking that others do here!

Dick
                  "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Yea baby!

Way to go! I have been outta touch but did wonder how you made out in the Santa's. Big Slide is a sweet one to finish on too.

Congratulations. The mountains will look a little different now, in a good way.
                    Welcome to the club.
                    Keep On Climbing!
                    Walk Softly

Comment

Way to go Silverback! Welcome to the club. When I finished peak #46 just a year ago, I thought that would be it...

Now, I'm tramping up 40 of the 46 High Peaks again in winter to get that little "W" thing, I'm climbing the 28 fire tower peaks with my wife and a friend, and Tim here has me interested in those "other 54" mountains! So when do you want to START?
                      "It's a beautiful day!" - Fellow hiker Shin Murnane's (5785W) last words at Marcy Dam 3/28/09
                      46er #5357W
                      Check out my "MOUNTAIN BLOG" http://bvanhise.blogspot.com/ AND ALGonquin Bob's Paddle Guide

Comment

Congrats, well derserved and earned.

Your right about Dick, a nicer guy you'll never met. But, I knew that even before we met last week. His warmth comes through on every post.

BTW, some of these "lesser peaks" are even better that the ones you just finished.
                        "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by neil
                          I'm sorry Neil, you must be mistaken. There are ONLY 46 mountains. really! Only 46.... only 46..... only 46....

No more marathons, no more lists.
                          Congrats Silverback when I finished the 46 I had the same notion about lists so I did the N-P Trail. I didn't think that qualified as a list. Then decided to hike the New England AT and the Long Trail. Is this begining to sound like a list? But those lists reared their ugly heads. You see one cannot possibly hike the AT in New Hampshire and not want to do the rest of those magnificent peaks. When you do the AT in the Whites you have done most of the 48. I made the decision to finish the Whites while sitting on Katahdin. That is the official story, but it seems I knew it all along. That would explain why after hiking the Franconia Ridge over Garfield to arrive at the Galehead Hut that after dinner I climbed Galehead. In no way was that needed to complete my journey. The side trips to North Twin, Bond and West bond should have been a clue. Not to mention Mt Tom and Zealand on my way out.
                          I agree with you no more lists but the darn things keep popping up. I think it is called incorrigable.
                          Again congrats on reaching the 46!

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Antlerpeak. You're right, I'm doomed. Lists will find me. First thing my wife handed me when I got home Thursday night, was a book of 64 canoe trips in Western New York. Should be easier on my knees, anyway. Plus the Fulton Chain awaits...

Tim, it's your reports and enthusiasm that is bound to send me to some of those "lesser peaks".

Bruce, they do look different now. It feels like the ice has been broken and now they are all old friends, many of whom I can't wait to go back and visit. Won't be for at least a week though, my knees still look like balloons.

Tim wrote about the main thing a few years back, and I have never forgotten it. You do go through a transformation as you progress through the 46. It is subtle, but you gradually develop a sense of reverence and respect for that area, and maybe it is the sense of stewardship that comes over you.

Whatever it is, it feels good.

Comment

Nice,,,,,,,
                              Walk Softly

Comment

Working...
                              X