Dix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dix

On monday night I found myself all dressed up with nowhere to go so decided to solo hike Dix. I had descended the blue (?) trail before and thought it would be interesting to climb it. Lots of water running down the slide. That section from the slide to the Hunter's pass junction is insanely steep but only entails about 1000 vert feet. Pace thyself.

From the top it was interesting to scope out mountains I never even noticed the last time I was there simply because I was unaware of them. North River, Boreas, Spotted, the Jay Range, Hopkins, Santas' east slides etc.

Directly south of Elk Lake was a pointy prominant peak rather all alone. It looked to be the one we saw from LPP. I thought it might be Snowy but the map suggests Hoffman. I'll post a pic tommorow if I get time.

Looking S from Elk Lake is probably Hoffman. It looks bigger than it is because it stands relatively alone. It is very impressive looking from out on Schroon Lake.

Comment

Hoffman is not all that "by itself". Looking from Dix, both Blue Ridge (N. of Hoffman) and Unammed (E. of Hornet Notch) would both flank (or by in front of) Hoffman.

They are both in the 3450' foot range and rise to less than 250' below the summit of Hoffman (3696'). On second thought, they might be so much in front of them that they would appear to part of the same massif from that distance.

:lol: confussed :lol:
      "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

How far south? Distant?
        This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

It was the first "real looking" mountain south of Clear Pond. The pic, alltho fuzzy due to the haze should help when I post it.

BTW Rik I took a couple of shots of the ridge from the burn to Noonmark's summit which I'll post as well.

Those slides on the Nippletop side of Dix seem quite steep (allthough the 1992 slide on Colden looked pretty steep and it was OK) and it looks as though they stop well below and away from the summit. Has anyone climbed them or know of anyone climbing them?

Comment

Originally posted by neil
            Those slides on the Nippletop side of Dix seem quite steep (allthough the 1992 slide on Colden looked pretty steep and it was OK) and it looks as though they stop well below and away from the summit. Has anyone climbed them or know of anyone climbing them?
            Does anyone know when those slides occurred and what caused them? I have a picture from the summit of Dix looking towards Nippletop from August of 2000 (after Floyd) and the slides are not there.

Comment

I put 2 seperate batches of pictures up on my site. Follow the 2 top most links.
              Rik, there's a couple for you of Noonmark.
              Looking at that mystery mountain S of Elk Lake I see that it's not as alone as I remembered. My guess is Blue Ridge.

Can anyone name the Sentinels for me?

Comment

Can anyone name the Sentinels for me?
                Kilburn, Sentinal, Stewart, Slide
                This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Thank Rik, what I meant actually is can anyone ID them from the pictures?

Comment

Those slides on the Nippletop side of Dix seem quite steep ..... Has anyone climbed them or know of anyone climbing them?
                    Years ago, I attempted a climb, got on the wrong slide, and ended up climbing through the cliffs of Hunters Pass. It was not fun. I think that was the time I was more scared than ever before. Even more scared than the time I fell of the cliff, broke my head and got a concussion.

Originally posted by lumberzac
                    Does anyone know when those slides occurred and what caused them? I have a picture from the summit of Dix looking towards Nippletop from August of 2000 (after Floyd) and the slides are not there.
                    ?????

I've been climbing Dix, up Hunters Pass, down the Beckhorn, every June for the past 8 or so years. Those slides were there. One of them did widen in '93 or thereabouts. The same storm that lengthened the slide on the Rt 73 side. Although Floyd ('99) really messed up Dix it didn't create any slides there (did create them in other places, though)
                    Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

a bunch of did this about 5 years ago. It was fairly meelow over most. But Maddi had a scary experience on the steep section.

"Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"
                      Cheers
                      Spence

Comment

If I understand your question, I climbed the slide on the Nippletop side of Dix two years ago. Just a few tricky spots, but it wasn't bad. Small bushwhack near the summit. Wouldn't do it if it was at all wet, however.

Comment

Mike and Spence, did you climb the one on the right?

Comment

That looks like the one.
                            "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"
                            Cheers
                            Spence

Comment

Originally posted by peak_bgr
                              That looks like the one.
                              So after crossing that narrow band of bush at the top you're pretty well on top of Dix? Someone I know must have taken the left slide. What they described to me was truly a trip to hell on a hot day and they ran out of water early on!

Comment

Working...
                              X