Dix Range. 73 to 73.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dix Range. 73 to 73.

On Saturday, day 3 of my peakbagging spree Trail Boss and I had to hack our way through frozen chunks of ice so he could get his car off the road at the full Round Pond TH. Then we took my car to the North Fork crossing and started up the herd path. Pretty sure the creek would be unfriendly we missed the turn anyway and when the river began to bend away to our right we followed a hunter path uphill away from the river, somewhat to the right of the sun.

Up high on the path we followed a lone pair of boot prints until they went directly towards the sun while we were more interested in the panorama way over to the sunís far right. We were on a crest of land looking down towards a flood plain. Far, far away we could see the entire horseshoe of the Dix Range culminating in the Beckhorn slide, which was shining like a beacon in the early morning sunshine.

We walked and walked, at times in the shade of Spotted and at times in the full sun. Mostly, we were in the shade as we followed the path along the Boquet. We were joined by 3 nice guys from Montreal who lucked out by having our tracks to follow through the confusing area to the south of the river prior to Lilypad Pond. We stayed together until they just plain disappeared as we curved around and began climbing up the right side of the Great Slide on the strong herd path that has many cut saplings and clipped branches. We lost and found the path several times in the deepening snow. It brought us out higher up than I would have thought (never take it before in spite of 3 previous trips, one up and two down from the col). Anyway, we sumitted East with no sign of the other guys and booted it to South in 30 minutes from the actual col and made for Macomb. On the way down we met up with the trio who wound up climbing along the left side of the Zipper and whacking to the summit of east from there. They were obviously a determined and speedy group of young men.

From South we continued on our way through the heart of the Range and my favourite area of the entire 46er array of peaks. Pough, Hough and the Beckhorn are my Tolkien fantasy and I will never tire of that route. As predicted, snowshoes were not required (nor carried) and although we put micros on for the Boquet they were unnecessary for the remainder of the route until Dix himself, whose steep descent was another story altogether. Plenty of ice on that trail.
    It was 3:56 on the button when we made it to Dix and thatís where the Montreal guys caught up with us. The skies were lowering and looking ominous and the wind keened and tore with a sustained hiss through the cripplebush. We sped down in short order and chilled at the lean-to (brook frozen over and safe to walk on) while chewing the fat with the guys camped there. We swapped war stories and I trumped em all with my tale of the 21 hour Sawtooth Range traverse.

The walk-out was pleasant in falling and blowing snow.

Originally posted by Altbark
    Wow, you guys are doing a lot of hiking this fall! Cool! Are you going to do another winter round? Al
    The only reason I go back to work these days is to get some rest for the next hike.

Another winter round? Stay tuned....

Comment

Neil, Thats one amazing weekend you had. glad I had the chance to share a part of it. You couldn't of had better company on Sat. with Taras. MG?

Comment

Originally posted by Boghollow View Post
        Neil, Thats one amazing weekend you had. glad I had the chance to share a part of it. You couldn't of had better company on Sat. with Taras. MG?
        MG didn't make it. He had car trouble.

I'm looking forward to a few more weekends just like that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          Whatever you are scheming, it sounds like it involves a lot of cardio, based on your "training" regimen!
          offonadventure.com

Comment

I hope non of your patients read this forum

The only reason I go back to work these days is to get some rest for the next hike.

Comment

It was colder on Saturday then when I hiked the Dixes for my Winter 46! About -5 F when we left the hostel, 14 F most of the day, and 5 F late in the afternoon plus a face-numbing windchill. It may be autumn but it sure felt like winter!

See all photos.

Looking for Views!

Comment

Nice....some time I'd really love to tag along with you guys on a hike. It would be kinda fun to be embarrassed by how poorly I'd be able to keep up...
                High peaks: Summer: 46/46 (1st iteration); 29/46 (2nd); 11/46 (3rd); 7/46 (4th) Winter: 7/46 (1st); 1/46 (2nd)

The other 56: Summer: 55/56 (1st); 12/56 (2nd); 4/56 (3rd); 3/56 (4th) Winter: 13/56 (1st); 3/56 (2nd); 1/56 (3rd); 4th (0/56)

Comment

The clockwise 5-D loop is a strong finish for a great 3-d trip! Did you get your answer? Are you where you want to be? Or do you need a 4-d test later?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
                    The clockwise 5-D loop is a strong finish for a great 3-d trip! Did you get your answer? Are you where you want to be? Or do you need a 4-d test later?
                    Joe, I especially got my answer on day 4 when I went for a jaunt up Big Slide with Topofgothics. I felt great. Pace, within the correct parameters of one's physiology, is everything. (and the other half of course is mental )

A special treat was chatting with none other than Phil Correll and buddies who were coming down as we went up. Very inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by TBPDPTI View Post
                      Nice....some time I'd really love to tag along with you guys on a hike. It would be kinda fun to be embarrassed by how poorly I'd be able to keep up...
                      We don't go very fast but we go long. Pretty sure the Dix loop took us more than 12 hours.

Comment

Who needs money, anyway?

Neil , I am guessing you are training to complete a non-stop (you have to hike all of them on consecutive days) round of the 46 in winter.

You should aim at doing them faster than CoryD, we will then be able to see the effect of aging on performance.
                        8000m 0/14

Comment

Stay tuned indeed....bwahahahah.
                          May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Working...
                          X