T-N-C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-N-C

Recently I stumbled across the Nature Conservancy Web site and discovered they have several trails open to the public. Over the last two weeks I found three interesting day hikes...Cook Mt in Ticonderoga with excellent views of Lake George from the northern end. It is a short moderately steep hike. Slightly less than one thousand feet in about one and a third miles to the summit lookout (ledge)----------------Coon Mt in West Port another three mile or so round trip again this one is about an eight hundred foot climb with some good views of the high peaks and Lake Champlain. This one also worth the effort..........Bald Mountain in West Haven VT perhaps a five mile round trip though threre are loop trails where you can vary the distance. The usgs quad does not show any of the trails ( Whitehall & thorn Hill at topozone) I suspect the trail actually went over a ridge, ( nice wooded ridge walk ) then slipped about a hundred feet into a col and then up to another summit ( opposing ridge ) I think the summit was Austin Hill and not Bald Mountain. No signs identified destinations just the trail names. It is likely the TNC has a guide or pamphlet but no one or nothing was there at the time I did this hike. But the lay of the land and my altimeter suggest Austin Hill rather than Bald. But who cares, nice trails, well marked and good views of South Bay and the surrounding hills. I saw another TNC spot called North Pawlet Hills Preserve that features a trail and suggest but does not say specifically if they ascend Haystack, Middle and Bald Mountains. They are the three peaks you can see on Rte 30 just after entering Vermont from Granville. Does anyone know about this preserve? I am thinking about getting over there in another week or so. Here is a link to the TNC http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...s/art4424.html

Cook Mountain is a real gem. Revisit during blueberry season and you could be eating fresh blueberries all season long.

I could throw a stone to Coon Mountain from my house, it's a great one for kids. Little work-great rewards.
    "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"
    Cheers
    Spence

Comment

Working...
    X