Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Legal Now Macomb Carson Grace 8-15-13 :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Legal Now Macomb Carson Grace 8-15-13 :)

So Grace was my 21'st High Peak - I guess I am legal now - which is ironic because I don't drink anyway But that was my first attempt at a witty title.

I headed out from home at 3am on Thursday morning and made it to Elk Lake by 8am. I was on the registered and on the trail by 8:20. There were about 4 or 5 parking spots left when I got there.

This was my first day hike in my last 3 trips so to be hiking with my day pack felt pretty odd. I only had a few lbs on my back instead of the 35 I have had the last few times. It almost felt like something was wrong - like somehow I wasn't in uniform. But when I got the Macomb cairn in 45 mins and hadn't broken a sweat I didn't mind so much.

The hike to the Macomb slide was longer than I realized - not overly strenuous but further than I thought - maybe a mile. I was looking forward to the slide and it was a highlight for me. I had no issue going up it - took about 30 mins. The rock was mostly dry and quite grippy. I probably would not want to descend it if I had the choice. Right towards the summit there was small false path and I got confused for about 5 mins but nothing that was not quickly evident. I spent maybe 15-20 mins on the summit and had a snack and took some photos.

The hike over to South Dix is a nice walk and not too strenuous until the rock scrambles. I noted where I would head to on the Lillian Brook HP for my return. I enjoyed the rock scrambles up South Dix but I was thinking of Moo on my way up and noted that I would need to climb down as well. I missed the disc on the way up (but saw it clearly on the way back). I got some nice views from there, especially of Macomb where I had just been and Dix as well. It was very windy on the summit.

The walk over to East was also nice (a bit muddy but not too bad). At one point the trail curves to the right to head up to the summit and I mistakenly went down a herd path that I believe descends into the Boquet valley. I went for maybe two mins and realized it was wrong and found the correct trail. What is up with this trail that descends there? It is clearly a trail...perhaps "illegal?" I was not sure.

The summit of Grace was a highlight for me. It was oddly MUCH less windy than Carson and the sun was out at that point. I took ADK French Louis advice and went through the path north east on the summit where the Great Slide comes up and then went a little further facing east. Great views and nice sun. I had lunch and layed down for almost an hour. I think it was about 2pm at that point.

The walk back down East over South again and down the LB HP was uneventful although I will say the south leg of the LB HP is pretty steep. The walk back to the red trail felt like it took a while but I hit it a little sooner than I expected which gave me a bit of an uplift. I started walking at a really good pace and then maybe a mile from the car I got really tired and just wanted a cheeseburger

I was in my car and on the way out at about 6:20. So, 13 miles hiked, 10 hours including summit stops, lunch, snacks, and photos. A great day. I had dinner and then headed over to Tmax and Topos for the night. The next 3 days I took a survival class at the Loj. I won't go into detail of that here - but if anyone is interested in knowing about it, let me know.

So that's 21/46. Next month's plan is Cliff, Redfield, and Marshall

some photos

https://www.facebook.com/nsherak/med...9432148&type=3

Originally posted by mrsmileyns View Post
    I started walking at a really good pace and then maybe a mile from the car I got really tired and just wanted a cheeseburger
    I get that a lot too...only it's usually about a mile after leaving my car.

Comment

Congrats on your coming of age.

The trail down from the Carson-Grace col is indeed unauthorized. It allows one to descend to the N/S Boquet herd path without having to use the slide, or, I guess, to avoid the slide on an ascent. Can't imagine actually wanting to do that, since it is the major attraction of a hike from that side . . .

Glad you followed Louis's advice and got to the lookout over the Great Slide. It is a spectacular spot not to be missed.

Comment

I'm Legal Now Macomb Carson Grace 8-15-13

Originally posted by Gregory Karl View Post
        Congrats on your coming of age.

The trail down from the Carson-Grace col is indeed unauthorized. It allows one to descend to the N/S Boquet herd path without having to use the slide, or, I guess, to avoid the slide on an ascent. Can't imagine actually wanting to do that, since it is the major attraction of a hike from that side . . .

Glad you followed Louis's advice and got to the lookout over the Great Slide. It is a spectacular spot not to be missed.
        I was wondering...if one ascends the slide from 73 to Grace...then hikes to "whatever" in the dixes...where can you legally descend back to the Boquet to get to your car on 73?

I'm sure I could find this in another thread but since I brought up the unauthorized trail I thought it would be appropriate to have that info here too.

Comment

funny you should ask - we met a group that did that on Dix yesterday. They came up the slide on east dix, then overnighted and the did the rest of the range. We came from Round Pond, and we all hiked out in that direction. We dropped off one group member at their car. She then drove abck to Round Pond trail head, where the rest of her group were waiting. If nobody would be around to offer a drop off, then it would've been about a 2 mile walk on Rt 73 back to the car.
          46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

Originally posted by YanaLG View Post
            funny you should ask - we met a group that did that on Dix yesterday. They came up the slide on east dix, then overnighted and the did the rest of the range. We came from Round Pond, and we all hiked out in that direction. We dropped off one group member at their car. She then drove abck to Round Pond trail head, where the rest of her group were waiting. If nobody would be around to offer a drop off, then it would've been about a 2 mile walk on Rt 73 back to the car.
            This group camped illegally because there is no place in the Dix Range below 3500 ft or marked with a 'camp here' disc.

The trail (not really a herdpath) was illegally cut in the fall of 2008. Trees were cut, cairns were erected, and it was profusely flagged the first time I saw it. That junction at the base of the East Dix dome is usually brushed-in so that people on the traditional herdpath do not take it, as mrsmileyns did.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmileyns View Post
              I was wondering...if one ascends the slide from 73 to Grace...then hikes to "whatever" in the dixes...where can you legally descend back to the Boquet to get to your car on 73?
              Answer: you can descend anywhere you want to get back to Rt 73. It is all state land and open to the public. So you are free to bushwhack--some routes are better than others . . . .

The cutting of the trail was illegal, but the use of it is not. After the damage is done, it is too late. But we, as responsible hikers with an interest in preserving the wild character of the Adirondacks, should avoid using illegally cut trails. Maybe this would discourage rogue trail-cutters from doing more damage . . . but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
                This group camped illegally because there is no place in the Dix Range below 3500 ft or marked with a 'camp here' disc.

The trail (not really a herdpath) was illegally cut in the fall of 2008. Trees were cut, cairns were erected, and it was profusely flagged the first time I saw it. That junction at the base of the East Dix dome is usually brushed-in so that people on the traditional herdpath do not take it, as mrsmileyns did.
                this group told us that they stayed at the Lillian Brook lean-to; and the dog that was lost the day before spent the night with them. Their itinerary did not apepar to be the most logical, and as we were walking out, I heard something about this being a spur of the moment trip, and they didn't realize there were other approaches to E. Dix besides the slide. I think most of them had a great time regardless!!
                46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

Gorgeous photos. I now will have to redo this hike to explore the Grace summit a bit more - missed that spur trail to the slide but sounds like it was a highlight!

Comment

Working...
                  X