Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall...Half Way

Marshall…Half Way
    On the way down Gregory turned and said “I’m glad we’re only doing one peak today, we get to enjoy being half way for longer.”

I have mixed emotions about the mid-point. I’m excited because the goal is within reach but somewhat melancholy realizing the journey, the fun, scary, surprising, excellent journey, is winding down.

Okay, that came out a bit harsh. You know what I mean.

As for the day’s hike…totally cool!
    We opted for the route less travelled on the advice of a recent TR (thank you) and started at Heart Lake. It was an excellent, easy 5 mile walk along the Indian Pass Trail (Red) to the Lake Colden Trail (yellow). We hadn’t gained any elevation to that point and began the 1.8 ish mile climb through the gap between Iroquois and Marshall. It was a pretty standard uphill pull,
    and by standard I mean beautiful, with lots of stream crossings, pools and waterfalls. We eventually (1 hour 15 min) found the cairn for Marshall. I have to say this was the herdiest path (or is it herd pathiest) we’d been on to date. It really seemed a lot less travelled. Not hard to follow, but much less developed. That’s to say, more fun to climb. You go up, up, up then down, down then up, eventually meeting the main herd path from upper works right at the summit. No summit views but a nice spot nearby with a good 180 degree southerly look. Just under 5 hours.

I write with immense gratitude to the forum on many, many levels.

“…we get to enjoy being half way for longer.” (I wish I’d thought of that.)
    23/46
    Stuart rose from the ditch, climbed into his car, and started up the road that led toward the north... somehow he felt that he was headed in the right direction. E.B.White, Stuart Little

Congratulations on getting to the half-way point. It's a great feeling! I stood on RPR and shouted for all to hear that I was halfway. Got some crazy looks. Looks like we will be at the same 46-er dinner if we continue on the same path.
    Marshall sounds nice in the summer; we did it in the winter. It's a do over, eventually.
    Moo
    HPHikingmoo

Comment

Originally posted by scalidonna View Post
      Marshall…Half Way
      On the way down Gregory turned and said “I’m glad we’re only doing one peak today, we get to enjoy being half way for longer.”

I have mixed emotions about the mid-point. I’m excited because the goal is within reach but somewhat melancholy realizing the journey, the fun, scary, surprising, excellent journey, is winding down.

No need to feel sad. I just completed my first "post 46" hike and it was awesome. If you love hiking and love being in these mountains, then 23/46 just means you are halfway to climbing each peak for the first time. Hopefully, you have many more than 23 peaks in your future......
      Mama Mac
      ADK46 #7948W

Comment

+1 what Mamamac said.

Comment

That sounds like a fun trip! What day did you do this hike? I was up on Marshall via Indian Pass and Cold Brook Pass on Friday (I was on the summit from 12-1). Congratulations on getting to your half way point! You still have many enjoyable hikes awaiting you for sure! Happy trails!
          "Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by LemonadeMan View Post
            What day did you do this hike?
            Thursday 15 Aug
            Thanks!
            Stuart rose from the ditch, climbed into his car, and started up the road that led toward the north... somehow he felt that he was headed in the right direction. E.B.White, Stuart Little

Comment

I climbed Marshall via this route yesterday, a popular route of forum members this week apparently!

I know what you mean by the half way feeling, but it only gets better. You get to reclimb them all again and again from different routes in different seasons. Every hike is different, you never know what adventure awaits..enjoy the journey
              -veggielasagna

Comment

Congrats, Scalidonna! Just so happens that Marshall was my 23rd also, just 2 weeks ago!
                In the meantime, though, I have repeated several of the peaks with "newbies" (my wife and three sons), and they were all even better the second time
                -Joe

Comment

[QUOTE=jrjmurray;241517]Congrats, Scalidonna! Just so happens that Marshall was my 23rd also, just 2 weeks ago!
                  QUOTE]

Here I was thinking how cool it was to be a maverick hiker on the really serious climb. (sigh)
                  I agree...it's excellent to share with family...3x's up Cascade and Porter.
                  As for the co-existent journeys around here...you can't make this stuff up!

Comment

Veggielasagna
                    I have to give credit to Autochromatica for the inspiration to take that route.
                    I'm still pumped for the next 23.
                    thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by scalidonna View Post
                      Marshall…Half Way

As for the day’s hike…totally cool!
                      We opted for the route less travelled on the advice of a recent TR (thank you) and started at Heart Lake. It was an excellent, easy 5 mile walk along the Indian Pass Trail (Red) to the Lake Colden Trail (yellow). We hadn’t gained any elevation to that point and began the 1.8 ish mile climb through the gap between Iroquois and Marshall. It was a pretty standard uphill pull,
                      and by standard I mean beautiful, with lots of stream crossings, pools and waterfalls. We eventually (1 hour 15 min) found the cairn for Marshall. I have to say this was the herdiest path (or is it herd pathiest) we’d been on to date. It really seemed a lot less travelled. Not hard to follow, but much less developed. That’s to say, more fun to climb. You go up, up, up then down, down then up, eventually meeting the main herd path from upper works right at the summit. No summit views but a nice spot nearby with a good 180 degree southerly look. Just under 5 hours.

I write with immense gratitude to the forum on many, many levels.

“…we get to enjoy being half way for longer.” (I wish I’d thought of that.)
                      23/46

Congrats on being half way. My son celebrated his half way point on Marshall. He brought up a bottle of sparkling cider and we toasted in the pouring rain.
                      As far as the journey is cincerned: I am a big believer that finishing the 46 is the beginning, not the end of the journey.

Congratulations and happy trails!

Corey
                      Corey D
                      46-R, 34/46W

"It looked like the Almighty had once set this vast earth rolling like the sea. And then, in the midst of its maddest flow, bid all the gigantic billows stop and congeal in their places." - J.T. Hadley, the Adirondack, or, Life in the Woods (1849)

Comment

I thought I would feel like that when I just finished but that passed, now it is hiking for the real fun of it. It's all down hill for you now. Good job.
                        46-R 8018 (08.10.2013)
                        27/46W

Comment

Originally posted by Twitchell_Lake View Post
                          I thought I would feel like that when I just finished but that passed, Good job.
                          Thanks, I'm not all sad, just waxing introspective. I can't expect Gregory to be with me for the next challenge. I can hope...

Comment

Marshall was actually our halfway point as well on 7/12, although we had not intended it that way. We attempted Marshall in late April and had to turn back because of the conditions. That said, getting our revenge on Marshall, and being halfway done, made this an especially sweet peak to get in the bag!

Comment

I hadn't heard of that route to Marshall. Hmmm...and I said I probably wouldn't do Marshall again, but.... I know what you mean by mixed feelings. We're planning to do our 46th this Saturday and while I'm anticipating it like a kid before Christmas, I also have mixed feelings. Good luck with the next 23!
                              www.adkhikermom.webs.com
                              46/46

Comment

Working...
                              X