Trailwork and a random scoot make a happy combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailwork and a random scoot make a happy combo

That mysterious, isolated eminence with the imposing cliff face which looms above Slant Rock is a place I have long wanted to visit and the right concatenation of circumstances, weather forecast, and hiking companions finally came together yesterday. Christine had invited Inge and me to join her for trail work on the Hopkins-Marcy Trail (one of the several trails under her stewardship) and baited the hook with the lure of a bushwhack to Balk Point afterwards. We left the Garden at 7:45. There were many new deadfalls and leaners on the trail to cut through and it was 1:15 when we arrived at the end of our work at the small bog on the height of land below Little Marcy. There we donned eye protection and long sleeves and braced ourselves for the bushwhack, but were happily surprised that it turned out to be an easy walk on a carpet of moss, across lightly forested terrain until we reached the pitch leading up the summit. That was a bit thicker and scratchier but still easy. The biggest and most unexpected reward was just below the top and at the top where we found ledges and large boulders with unique and astonishing views into Panther Gorge braced by Haystack and Marcy, so close that we could see people on both. Scouting around the small summit revealed additional views in all directions from Cascade, Big Slide, and the Upper Range on one side, to Colden and the MacIntyre Range on the other. We left the top at 2:15, whacking down steeply to the east. Inge's inspired route-finding and Christine's proficiency with gps enabled us to thread a course through tangles of big rotten tumble-down trees, mossy boulder fields, deep narrow drainages, and enough head-hunters and femur-eaters to test our reflexes and agility. After unwinding 500 feet of elevation in twenty minutes we started slabbing to the right and ran into some of the thickest stuff of the hike with no easy way through, but it didn't last long. We finally popped out of the woods at the Shorey Shortcut junction just as some newbies arrived looking for the trail. With one voice, we told we had just found it! It was all downhill from there and we were out at 7:30.

Thanks for another wonder-filled day in the mountains, nundagao!!!!
    inclined to climb...

Comment

Thanks. Did you ever get your camera back? If it remains missing we'll have to return for another photo shoot!

Comment

Ha!! it is among the missing still....def warrants a return trip either way. Of course not until we do that other knob on our list of 2! :-) when are we going?!!!
        inclined to climb...

Comment

WOW!
          That sounds so cool!
          Stuart rose from the ditch, climbed into his car, and started up the road that led toward the north... somehow he felt that he was headed in the right direction. E.B.White, Stuart Little

Comment

Re "...that other knob on our list of 2! :-) when are we going?!!!"

Monday is the first workday of the fall semester. After that, I only have weekends. CB said she'd like to join me for Lost Pond Peak sometime in the fall, and there is a chapter hike to Brown Pond Peak on October 26 which I want to go on. Those are the only things on my calendar so far.

Now, a question on a different subject: What do you know about the land swap in Lewis to be voted on this fall? If it's approved, would the old road leading toward Slip Mountain become part of the Wollastonite mine property? ADK favors the amendment so I guess it's OK. I just hope that it won't further restrict the already limited access to the Jay Wilderness area.

Comment

Sorry nundagao. I know nothing. CB prob knows more!!
              inclined to climb...

Comment

Working...
              X