No announcement yet.

Allen 7/21/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't the DEC working on a replacement bridge last year? IIRC, they got it up and then had problems with the welds and therefore had to head back to the factory. Am I dreaming that? Anyone know the status? Thx

Comment

I was doing fire tower restoration work on Mt Adams on 6/8 with Neil et al. No bridge at all, just the same old 2 cables that run across the river. Yes, there was chatter on this forum about the bridge being replaced last summer, but nothing came to be. And no plans for it to be done this year, AFAIK. I have found NO info on DEC's website nor any other website on the status of putting a new bridge in.

I think ADKJack can fill in more details here.
      We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

The bridge over the Hudson will be replaced... one day. For now, at most times, it is an easy ford to wade across the Hudson. Worth checking the link MtnmanJohn posted. I believe anything below 1000 cu ft /sec is crossable. (though 1000 cu ft/s is getting up there!)

The bridge over Lake Jimmy is "closed"(well, the west end has been pulled out so you could swim out to the middle and use the rest!) with no plans to replace it. Instead the short bypass trail John mentioned is the new route around Lake Jimmy. The outlet creek of Lake Jimmy is usually pretty low and you can rockhop across... but of course when we went in June, to work on Adams, the water was pretty high (after a week of rain) and we had to wade that one too.

Comment

New route around Lake Jimmy

"Instead the short bypass trail John mentioned is the new route around Lake Jimmy. The outlet creek of Lake Jimmy is usually pretty low and you can rockhop across... "

Question: How obvious is the new route?

Comment

We just did Allen yesterday. New route around Lake Jimmy very obvious. 20 ft or so before Lake Jimmy there are tree branches down closing the path and on your right a wooden sign with arrow pointing left. The route around the top of lake is clearly flagged with pink tape. Path surprisingly well travelled. You can't miss it!
            46/46... awaiting my number !

Comment

Working...
            X