Allen 7/21/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen 7/21/13

Took on the hike to Allen on Sunday. Perfect weather for hiking. The water levels were low and the crossings were uneventful. Mud was there but most of it could be managed with a little care. Overall, The hike into Allen was much more enjoyable that I had anticipated. Great view of Panther Gorge from just past the summit. I will admit that on the way out the last few miles reminded me about the length of the journey. Start to finish it took about 10 and a half hours. That includes a leisurely lunch on the summit.

How was the infamous "red slime" on the ascent?

Comment

We are headed that way this weekend. Glad it has been a little dryer.
      " If you want the Rainbow...you gotta put up with the Rain!!"

Comment

any after hike plunges in the hudson?? sure cools the feet after that day!!
        ADK 46-R #6750W
        CL-50 - #51
        CATSKILLS- 9/39
        NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

red slime

The red slime is as slippery as they say it is. Again with a little care and caution it could all be avoided.

Comment

Compared to the McComb slide, how bad is Allen? Are there ways to avoid the "slime"? A little concerned over this one.
            Moo
            HPHikingmoo

Comment

slide

The slide on Allen was worse in anticipation than in reality. Stick to the sides and you will be up the slide in no time. The red slime is very slippery but it can be avoided. One last thing the Hudson does feel great on the feet at the end of a long day!

Comment

Got any pictures of this beast?
                Moo
                HPHikingmoo

Comment

Originally posted by HPHikingMoo View Post
                  Moo
                  unphotographable....like the sasquach!!!
                  ADK 46-R #6750W
                  CL-50 - #51
                  CATSKILLS- 9/39
                  NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Bummer...I want to see it before I experience it. McComb was a bit of a shocker, even though it had been described to me; it wasn't bad though and I did NOT freak out so all is good! Hoping Allen build up is worse than the actual climb? Maybe someone has caught a sneak photo for little old Moo?
                    HPHikingmoo

Comment

Bummer...I want to see it before I experience it. McComb was a bit of a shocker, even though it had been described to me; it wasn't bad though and I did NOT freak out so all is good! Hoping Allen build up is worse than the actual climb? Maybe someone has caught a sneak photo for little old Moo?
                      Moo, Allen is not so bad - the issue is the long walk in. If you gauge your times by ours it took us more like 15 hours. PM me when you get ready and I will be glad to give you some tips to deal with the slab (not really much of a slide) and the slime. Also some tips on the two river crossings. We finished under the moon light and crossed Lake Jimmy while the beavers were putting on a diving show.
                      Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
                      Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Moo
                        From a couple years ago, at the point where you cross over into the woods, not far from the summit ridge...
                        Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Thank you. That gives me some perspective to it. Doesn't look too horrible.
                          Moo
                          HPHikingmoo

Comment

Compared to the McComb slide, how bad is Allen? Are there ways to avoid the "slime"? A little concerned over this one.
                            Moo
                            I've used an old pair of microspikes to effectively deal with the notorious red slime on the Allen Brook slide. I highly recommend 'em. However, always be sure of your steps on the slide as there are a couple of parts that are as slick as glass s.t. that nothing will give you traction on them.
                            We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Some other helpful info 4 U, Moo :-)

* The following USGS website contains current data on the water gauge in the Hudson R in Newcomb. If its under, say, 600 cu ft/sec in flow the Hudson is easy to cross. Hiking poles help w/ stability

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/...te_no=01312000

* The Opalescent is often lower in level than the Hudson. Never had issues crossing it

* Lake Jimmy is no longer crossable. Many of the bridge planks have been removed to prevent ppl from crossing it. Instead, just before LJ, you will see a trail to your left that goes around LJ (I think its marked with white disks, but anyways, it is quite apparent). Just know that when going on that side-trail, you will come to a small brook which may require you to remove your boots; no big deal.

* Regarding the summit itself, there are 3 very good viewpoints just off it (aside from the great views from off the AB slide).

Whenever you decide to go, I hope you have great weather!
                              We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Working...
                              X