Mt Adams for Presidents' Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt Adams for Presidents' Day

With no Mt Washington or Lincoln in the Adirondacks, my Presidents' Day choices were TR and Adams*. I've been meaning to do a winter climb of Adams for a few years, and the forecast looked good for views, so Adams it was.

When I signed in, the last person who had signed in for Adams was before Nemo, so I thought I might be in for some trail-breaking. The Hudson was frozen solid at the crossing, although it was open and running 15 or 20 feet downstream, so the crossing wasn't a comfortable one. Lake Jimmy was more solid and snow covered, and a less stressful crossing. Soon I was at the trail junction, where there were no defined tracks towards Adams.

On the lower part of the trail, I enjoyed the leaf-less open woods, which gave me the opportunity to see the contours of the land. This section grows in think with lots of leafy plants in the summer, taking on a jungle like atmosphere, so it was a nice contrast. Despite the lack of visitors, there were only a few inches of new snow on the trail, so there wasn't really any trail-breaking to be done.

Higher up, the trail covers a lot of bare rock, so the snow made the climb a little easier. Before too long I was at the top and headed up the tower. The wind was brutal, so I briefly checked out the views and then got back below tree-line.

Pictures

* I haven't been able to find any information on who (or what) Mt Adams is named after. Does anyone know the naming history?
    ADKHP Wiki

Didn't look like anyone had been there in a long time when we passed by on Saturday. And it didn't look very inviting either. Glad you had fun. Great photos. Guess I need to go up there sometime.

Comment

Wow Those are fantastic photos - so crisp. Thanks for sharing.

I too need to get back to Adams it has been too long - something like 9 years.

Comment

I agree, great pics. Adams is one of my favorite peaks. I think I've been up there 5 times in the last 2 years. Steep, but nice + that great firetower
        offonadventure.com

Comment

Originally posted by BillB View Post
          Guess I need to go up there sometime.
          The view is well worth the hike. Plus it's in the 100 highest.
          ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Working...
          X