Esther facile 2/20/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esther facile 2/20/13

I didn’t want to offend anyone by entitling this TP Easy Esther so I borrowed an adjective from our French-speaking members. I needed to get my mojo back up after last week’s failure to summit Coochie. So I did Esther today.

The wind was roaring at gale force almost the entire trip. I set off on a broad reach up the old ski lift path near the ASRC. My wife always warns me to watch out for falling trees when it’s windy: “People get killed in Central Park every year!” Frankly, I feel safer hiking in the High Peaks. However, the only person I saw today, a snowmobiler at the bottom, asked if I had been in a fight. Apparently, my cheek was bloody when I got mugged by a branch.

2-3” of new snow and, of course, drifts but no problems. The herd path was easy to follow. It’s interesting to read in McMartin’s and Ingersoll’s guide that the “path along the ridgeline may be difficult to follow…[and] impossible in winter.” Someone’s been busy. It was much denser just a few summers ago.

I sure wish I had brought my butt slider for the return down the ski lift path!

Thanks for the TR and conditions, I hope to do this hike on Friday.
    ADK 46er 7350W
    Catskill 35er #2339
    ADK Firetowers 26/28
    ▲RWMS▲

Comment

If Esther happens to be easy, it is her fault. Around here, we don't blame the messenger.

With a good wind coming across the ridge and fresh snow, that herdpath can disappear quickly and be very deep.

Comment

Working...
      X