Presidentís Weekend Round-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidentís Weekend Round-Up

This will be a not so brief TR about my Friday through Monday trip to the High Peaks. What a great weekend to spend in the peaks!!!

Friday 2/15 – Allen
    • I didn’t see anyone else on the trail.
    • Broke through Lake Jimmy on the way in – you never realize how much you miss a bridge until it is gone After that smooth sailing the rest of the day.
    • Had a great evening at Tmax and Topo’s chatting with Dave.

Saturday 2/16 – Colden Redfield Cliff Iroquois Algonquin Wright
    • What a beautiful day.
    • After sleeping in an extra 90 minutes due to talking myself out of doing CRC and Marshall because it would take “too long” and I’d be too late to check in at the Cascade Inn I ended up ahead of schedule and going for IAW at the end instead.
    • Met a hardcore skier near Lake Arnold that had already skied Wright Wrong Gully, then was off to the SE Slide, before wrapping up with Colden Couloir. Wow – impressive!
    • Followed fresh tracks up Red and met the maker on his way down and thanked him for his efforts. I hurried up and down and caught him near the middle of the cliffs on Cliff and I took over the route finding from there.
    • At the Lower Junction of the trail to Algonquin from Lake Colden I met two hikers who had just come down and they said the trail was in good shape – I was sold on IAW at that point
    Funniest Sight of the Weekend – Halfway up to the Boundary-Algonquin col I met 2 fellas headed down to Lake Colden with microspikes and ICE AXES in hand. I should have asked to take their picture – completely ridiculous not to mention how they tore the trail up terribly.
    • Great alpenglow for the final climb up Wright in the golden hour.
    • Wright completed my 4th winter Round

Sunday 2/17 – Colden Marshall
    • Temp was about 5 F at the Loj both when I arrived and left for the day.
    2nd Funniest Sight of the Weekend – Tent pitched right at the Indian Falls Cross-Over Junction on the Lake Arnold trail. Actually pitched in the brook! Rocket scientists they were not. I did get a picture of this one.

• Trying to emulate Alain and the Pinpin gang I did the same mountain two days in a row then dropped down to Lake Colden. This trail was also trashed from the crampon/microspike wearing contingent with lots of awkward ankle rolling.
    • No one else went to Marshall on this day, where I was reminded that the section above the brook is always longer than I remember! The groups on Saturday had set a very firm track

• Strong and cold wind blowing across Lake Colden and Av Lake – googles and balaclava mandatory for the crossing on Sunday!
    Monday 2/18 – Santa Range
    Hemi2500trx covered this one. A fun time and an easy go of these 3 with Hear the Footsteps, hemi, Joe, and Paul.

Wow man, you're a freakin machine! Nice.

Comment

Hoo-hah! Way to go, lean, mean, hiking machine!

Zero recovery time?!? I suspect chocolate milk played no part in this!
      Looking for Views!

Comment

That is one impressive weekend. Nice job and nice report.
        What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Congrats on a spectacular weekend in the adks. Nice trail report, looking forward to our next adventure!

Comment

Nice report on your weekend up north. And certainly glad to have yet another trip with you. The Santas trip Monday was a record time for me by at least a half-hour.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
              Hoo-hah! Way to go, lean, mean, hiking machine!

Zero recovery time?!? I suspect chocolate milk played no part in this!
              Lean - Not really...

Mean - Yeah I get that some times

Hiking Machine - I wish, but it is a career I aspire to

And yes, I did enjoy 16 ounces (473 ml) of chocolate milk after each and every hike

Comment

Originally posted by hemi2500trx View Post
                Congrats on a spectacular weekend in the adks. Nice trail report, looking forward to our next adventure!
                Thanks for putting this event together. We had a great group. Keep me in the loop on your future plans as you close in on the 46W.

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
                Nice report on your weekend up north. And certainly glad to have yet another trip with you. The Santas trip Monday was a record time for me by at least a half-hour.

Don
                Thanks Don. It was great to spend time with you again on the trail and hear about all your adventures and your progress towards you goals. Hope I can join you for additional future hikes!

Comment

Wow ! impressive weekend ! I liked the TR and the pics .

Love the tent in the Brook! Gotta love Holiday weekends . I stayed off the trails during the mad rush .
                  Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

Wow what a great round up.....loved the photos........just awesome
                    Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Thank pat,Paul,Don & rick for a great hike wish I was 100% You are animals
                      Not all who wander, are lost !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by laluna family View Post
                        Thank pat,Paul,Don & rick for a great hike wish I was 100% You are animals
                        Joe you were a trooper and it was great hiking with you. You are one tough dude to hike through the foot pains and never once complain about it. These were 3 good peaks to get under your belt as you work towards your goal!

Comment

Very impressive!!!!! Awesome pictures. I see you got a picture of the Santanonni sign! Has that always been there? Did you notice the spelling? Santanoni according to the sign is Santanonni.

Comment

So great to meet you. That is quite a weekend. I guess the Adirondack Addict thing is not an understatement. Stay out of rehab though...you look like you're having a great time!
                            Ready to join AlpineLamb's flock...

46W +1W
                            AlpineAce: 46/46
                            AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Originally posted by tag View Post
                              Very impressive!!!!! Awesome pictures. I see you got a picture of the Santanonni sign! Has that always been there? Did you notice the spelling? Santanoni according to the sign is Santanonni.

The new sign was put up sometime in the fall I believe - it wasn't there in Jan 2012 but I think it was there in late November when I was there last.

Definitely a typo on the sign and not the 1st time such a thing has happened. MacNaughton's sign says McNaughton

Comment

Working...
                              X