Marshall - 2/18/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall - 2/18/13

I decided to climb Marshall today primarily due to the high wind warning and the projected -20 degree F wind chill. Boy they were wrong, at least on Marshall. It was a beautiful day with light winds most of the day.

It sure is much faster on the Calamity Brook Trail from Upper Works in the winter and the trek across Flowed Lands is great. Herbert Brook was frozen and the latest snowshoe track went right up the frozen brook on top of packed snow.

I reached Flowed Lands in 1 hr, 40 minutes and the summit in 3 hrs, 15 minutes. The whole trip was done in 5 hrs, 40 minutes.

Saw CPalmatier and JennyB midway up the herd path and chatted with them. Saw only 2 other folks, both skiers. One was coming down Marshall and he later skied the lower half of Herbert Brook. The other was coming up to Flowed Lands and was going to ski back down.

Great bluebird day in the pass and on the mountain. Even crossing Flowed Lands the winds were light.

Pics here:
    http://www.offonadventure.com/2013/0...all-21813.html
    Last edited by Telemarkmike; 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM.
    offonadventure.com

You sure got some great weather for your busy weekend of hiking. Looks great, love the photos.

Comment

Nice report Mike. Thinking of this for Friday. Did you need your crampons at all or we're snowshoes enough?
      Moo
      HPHikingmoo

Comment

Originally posted by HPHikingMoo View Post
        Nice report Mike. Thinking of this for Friday. Did you need your crampons at all or we're snowshoes enough?
        Moo
        Snowshoes all the way. There wasn't any ice.
        offonadventure.com

Comment

Great to finally see you on the trail yesterday, Mike. It was a spectacular day. I can't agree with you more on winter vs. summer from UW. We spent close to an hour on the summit soaking up the sun and views and still made it out before dark. We did the 13 GPS miles in 11 hours, which beats my typical 1 MPH overall pace.

Comment

You got some great pictures, and it looks like it was a magnificent day. What a nice hike, too - that's one I'd love to do again, taking a cue from the guys you met on skis.
            Winter hiking -- "It's so easy an eight year old can do it!"

- Photobug65

Comment

I did cliff & redfield yesterday followed your tracks till the leanto then went my way. Perfect conditions great day!

Comment

Originally posted by Nabozz View Post
                I did cliff & redfield yesterday followed your tracks till the leanto then went my way. Perfect conditions great day!
                Well I certainly didn't make any new tracks. Everything was already well packed. How was Cliff and Redfield? I'll be there next week.
                offonadventure.com

Comment

Great meeting you and Rev. It turned out to be a spectacular day!
                  "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S.Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by jennyB View Post
                    Great meeting you and Rev. It turned out to be a spectacular day!
                    Nice meeting you also. I hope you can get in another hike before the big move!
                    offonadventure.com

Comment

Originally posted by Telemarkmike View Post
                      Well I certainly didn't make any new tracks. Everything was already well packed. How was Cliff and Redfield? I'll be there next week.
                      My first time over flowed lands in winter, it was windswept with a faint hint of snowshoes heading across the spine to the lean to before herbert brook.. C&R were pretty well packed down easy to follow, lots of blowdown. The cliff's on cliff did not disapoint I liked them so much I did them twice when my crampons came off my pack at the false summit on the way down, didint realize till just before the C&R junction.

Comment

Congrats on getting another one Mike ! Take the dog this time ??
                        When we did Marshall on 17 Jan 2011 (BillB and BillH also along), it was -25 at the start and I looked like CPalmatier (ice all over facial hair!). But, just as you say, once we were on top, bluebird sky, little to no wind, and pleasant 12deg.
                        Pete
                        Eagleye.
                        Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleye View Post
                          Congrats on getting another one Mike ! Take the dog this time ??
                          When we did Marshall on 17 Jan 2011 (BillB and BillH also along), it was -25 at the start and I looked like CPalmatier (ice all over facial hair!). But, just as you say, once we were on top, bluebird sky, little to no wind, and pleasant 12deg.
                          Pete
                          Yep, Rev did Santanoni on Sunday and Marshall on Monday.

Nice hiking w/ you to Allen Saturday
                          offonadventure.com

Comment

Working...
                          X