Allen x 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen x 2

I'm not going to say much about the hike in this thread as those of you we met have offered some great reports on Allen. This is the second time I hiked Allen since 1/27. Last hike took us just over 12 hours (6:30 am - 6:35 pm) while this one was just under 12 (6:38 am - 6:05 pm). And last time we walked across the Hudson without even thinking about it. It was solid just two weeks ago and yesterday required bags. What a difference in such a short period of time. With Eesti in the lead we were following a solo track in from the day before. Not sure one could call it breaking trail, as it was mostly fresh powder. With the amazing amount of traffic, we marveled at how well groomed the trail was for the descent. It turned into a super highway for snowshoeing! While we were the first to go in we were quickly passed by many of those who came in shortly behind us. Eesti and I couldn't believe the number of people we met on this hike. Normally we rarely see many others except for a few here and there. Yesterday it seemed like this forum board was out together. Perhaps we should try more weekend hiking? Was really cool to get to meet so many of the names we read stories of here; Eagle Eye, BillB (twice in one week, just met in the Santanoni Range last week) Telemark Mike (minus companion Rev), TrailBoss, Sam, Yvon and Taras.... Great to meet all of you.... Oh and there was another Bill and Pete. And Gary and his friend with the cool dreads! Allen has got to be one of the nicest strolls in the woods of all the hikes I've done. And we got another bonus with the weather turning out to be so beautiful while the forecast was for clouds. Great day!

I'd like to share a great photo we got of all those thorns surrounding that rose on the summit, but I'm having difficulty learning how to add a photo here. :-(
    ADK-46R 3/17/13
    ADK-46R-W 2/28/14

I laughed out loud about that last part! You did get us to laugh for the photo, haha! Good to meet you.

Lucky Trails
    -Sam

Comment

Good to see you again, John. I'd like to see that photo. If you have it posted on the web you should be able to link to it.

Below is Eesti coming into view as we ascend the slide

Last edited by BillB; 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Good to meet you John (sorry, I misidentified you in my TR; it's fixed) and Eesti. It was a great day to be on Allen, to meet fellow forum members, all for the low admission fee of a few garbage bags at the Hudson toll gate.

Cheers,
        Taras

PS
        Who you callin' thorns?!? Bees!
        Looking for Views!

Comment

pics

Nice meeting you all! Party on Allen

Comment

How the heck did Bill make himself so small in this photo?!?
            Tiny Bill
            Looking for Views!

Comment

All you guys are so tall, it must be real hard bend under those fallen trees Plus you carry "tiny" backpacks... small child could get lost in one of those things

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                How the heck did Bill make himself so small in this photo?!?
                Tiny Bill
                Hey man, who you callin' tiny? Actually, it was easier to just sit on the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Eesti View Post
                  All you guys are so tall, it must be real hard bend under those fallen trees Plus you carry "tiny" backpacks... small child could get lost in one of those things
                  I'm too tall to bend under most of those trees. I crawl under in winter - no need to worry about getting muddy. And I slid under a few trees coming off Allen - just kept butt sliding right under.

Comment

Originally posted by BillB View Post
                    Good to see you again, John. I'd like to see that photo. If you have it posted on the web you should be able to link to it.

Below is Eesti coming into view as we ascend the slide

Eesti (Uljana) posted the picture. It's a great shot with all those happy smiles.
                    ADK-46R 3/17/13
                    ADK-46R-W 2/28/14

Comment

Beautiful shot!
                      ADK-46R 3/17/13
                      ADK-46R-W 2/28/14

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                        Good to meet you John (sorry, I misidentified you in my TR; it's fixed) and Eesti. It was a great day to be on Allen, to meet fellow forum members, all for the low admission fee of a few garbage bags at the Hudson toll gate.

Cheers,
                        Taras

PS
                        Who you callin' thorns?!? Bees!
                        I'm liking my new name. We're having fun with it.
                        ADK-46R 3/17/13
                        ADK-46R-W 2/28/14

Comment

Originally posted by Eesti View Post
                          pics

Nice meeting you all! Party on Allen
                          Great pics. I was there on Friday 2/15 and also enjoyed that clear blue ice block on the Opalescent.

Looks like fun was had by all with that nice summit group photo.

Comment

John and Eesti:
                            Good to see you both again Sat, following our encounter on the Santa's the week before. Still impressed with Eesti's "pistons"; way to go girl !
                            Bill B, who you kidding about "going under" things; you're dang legs are so long, you hop over most of that stuff ! very annoying to us of lesser stature !
                            Pete
                            Eagleye.
                            Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Working...
                            X