http://www.offonadventure.com/2013/0...ain-21613.html

Thanks all for the great outing!
    offonadventure.com

Comment

Great photo's and TR. Enjoyed the pics.
      ADK-46R 3/17/13
      ADK-46R-W 2/28/14

Comment

Wow, great trip report Trail Boss. I was part of the group that you caught up to & passed. It was a little humbling to continually see your hiking time written in the snow, knowing you were that much farther ahead! It took me just shy of 13 hours round trip. But it was a great day, great weather, great to see everyone. Butt sliding down Allen was possibly the most fun I have had on a high peak ever. Although a little scary too. This summit was winter peak #42 for me. The 4 I have left are in the Dix range, which I hope to grab early March. Here are my pics from Allen on Saturday. Pics

Happy climbing everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushman Brian View Post
          ...It was a little humbling to continually see your hiking time written in the snow, knowing you were that much farther ahead! It took me just shy of 13 hours round trip. ...
          PSYCHE!!!

But seriously, the time-stamps were intended for the other four members of our group to communicate our (Sam and I) safe progress back to the trailhead.

Fortunately, the ADK 46ers don't care how many hours it takes one to complete the hike. If someone needs to move at a faster pace than I, more power to them, off you go. I spent about the first hour of the hike at the rear of the line.

Thanks for the photos! I overlooked to get pics of the friendly dogs!
          Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
            The trail appeared to have been broken the day before, or earlier, and was freshly flattened by the passage of two groups that left before us.
            Hello Taras and congrats on 40W - you are getting close! I was there on 2/15 and had the "privilege"of re-breaking the trail to Allen. Not too bad with about 6-8 " of newer powder with deeper sections from the slide on up.

Crossing Lake Jimmy signaled the trailhead was near. Some of the snowshoes tracks on its surface had become sodden during the day and were now grey patches of frozen slush. Again, not as encouraging as when we crossed it in the morning.
            The clue you picked up on Lake Jimmy is good insight on how things went for me. I ended up breaking through Lake Jimmy with my right leg up to my knee on the way in. Made for a cold foot until I got smart enough to improvise a VBL with a grocery bag and my last dry sock!

Other than that it was a good day ~8:45 Round trip with about 30 minutes wasted wringing out socks

Comment

@rbalbs
              Awesome time, even with the foot-bath interlude, and thanks for the trail-breaking!
              Looking for Views!

Comment

Hey Taras:
                Sorry we missed you on the way out, but good to have met and hiked with you, at least for a while until Bill and I (Pete) couldn't keep up....
                Also appreciated those time-stamps on the way out, reminding the two of us how far behind we were But, we got her done ! fun day, and just about recovered now and thinking of the next.
                Eagleye.
                Isaiah 40:31

Comment

p.s
                  Sam:
                  ditto to you ! enjoyed meeting you, and wish we had talked more.
                  I'm also interested in climbing (rock) Wallface this spring; we should talk about that ! (Pete)
                  Eagleye.
                  Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Wow, not so sure about those garbage bag crossings! Not there yet! Great pictures though.
                    Moo
                    HPHikingmoo

Comment

Originally posted by HPHikingMoo View Post
                      Wow, not so sure about those garbage bag crossings! Not there yet! Great pictures though.
                      Moo
                      Wasn't bad at all. A bit of a novelty, in fact. Water was no more than a foot deep and the bottom was somewhat uniform. Now if it were up to my knees with unsure footing underneath, that would be a different story.

Comment

@hphikingmoo
                        I was concerned the Opalescent wouldn't be frozen over. Had that been the case it would've made for a far more interesting crossing. I was prepared for thigh-deep waters but that wouldn't have been much of an advantage if the rest of the team was only able to handle knee-deep water. Fortunately, the Hudson crossing was anticlimactic and the Opalescent was a messy jigsaw of ice floes but solid nonetheless. The one crossing that always has me wary is Lake Jimmy (see rbalbs' account above). There's a link to a video of Neil crossing it (somewhere on this forum) and stopping abruptly when his snowshoe breaches the surface. Not a nice feeling, for sure.
                        Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleye View Post
                          ... good to have met and hiked with you ...
                          Pete,
                          Same here! Hopefully we can hike together again in the near future.

BTW, please keep me in mind for the Wallface climb! I hope to dust off my long-dormant climbing skills this summer and would love to visit Wallface.
                          Looking for Views!

Comment

@hphikingmoo
                            I was concerned the Opalescent wouldn't be frozen over. Had that been the case it would've made for a far more interesting crossing. I was prepared for thigh-deep waters but that wouldn't have been much of an advantage if the rest of the team was only able to handle knee-deep water. Fortunately, the Hudson crossing was anticlimactic and the Opalescent was a messy jigsaw of ice floes but solid nonetheless. The one crossing that always has me wary is Lake Jimmy (see rbalbs' account above). There's a link to a video of Neil crossing it (somewhere on this forum) and stopping abruptly when his snowshoe breaches the surface. Not a nice feeling, for sure.
                            Yikes! Not experienced enough for all that yet; trying Marshall via the flowed lands on Friday; there have been enough reports the past few days/weeks that have me anxious to get out there and try a real winter hike. Wish we could make the gathering to meet everyone, but it's not in the cards for us this year. Perhaps the summer one.
                            Moo
                            HPHikingmoo

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleye View Post
                              p.s
                              Sam:
                              ditto to you ! enjoyed meeting you, and wish we had talked more.
                              I'm also interested in climbing (rock) Wallface this spring; we should talk about that ! (Pete)
                              Pete,

Good to meet you! Also wish we had more time to talk. I'm definitely going to try and climb one of the routes up Wallface this spring. At the moment I'm leaning towards "The Diagonal". Maybe we can work something out (Taras you're included in this as well).

I'd also like to hear some stories about your work w/ eagles/falcons (Bill told me)

Take Care
                              -Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X