Allen Mtn 2.16.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Mtn 2.16.13

Allen mtn.... What can I say? Feb. 16th marked the day my girlfriend and I finished the 46. Got to the trailhead @ 9am and set off for the summit. Trail was nice and packed down from previous snowshoe traffic, which are a must right now considering a good 2 feet of nice fluffy snow. The first river crossing we had to garbage bag it and ford the river, the next two were froven over very well. Nice flat trail, and logging roads, for majority of the trip until you get to the base of Allen. Very steep terrain, many trees to hurdle or crawl under, and I mean many... Took about 2.5-3hrs to get from the base of Allen to the summit.

At the summit, the trees were frosted with a good inch or two of snow. View was spectacular, Iriquios, Marshall, Algonquin, Wright, Cliff, Redfield, Skylight, Marcy, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, Sawteeth, Colvin, Blake, Nippletop, Dial, Dix, Hough, South Dix, and Macomb all had a very clear view. Hands down my favorint view of all the 46. There is another vantage point a few feet before the summit looking towards The Santanoni's and Seward's.

If you're attempting Allen this winter bring your snowshoes or skis, very deep snow pack, also garbage bags for the water crossings, and ALWAYS your common sense + knowledge of backcountry winter hiking and you'll have the time of your life.. Happy Trails
    46/46
    W46/8

I'm thinking of doing Allen on 2/17 and am interested in a few details.
    1. How long did it take you altogether?
    2. Was it icy from base to summit?
    3. When you crossed the Hudson, how deep was the deepest part?

Comment

@garry
      Hey there! Were you two the couple in dreadlocks? While descending Allen, I passed a couple ascending at around 1:50 PM between Skylight and Allen brooks. A bit late in the afternoon; an exit by headlamp was definitely in the cards.

@bud
      1. It took Sam and I about 10 and quarter hours. A bit longer for the balance of our group.
      2. Fluffy powder snow from base to summit. Trail is well packed (visited by at least a dozen hikers on Saturday). Any icy patches are easily avoided.
      3. About one foot deep. Without water-tight protection up to your knees, the water will easily pour over your boot-tops. Most of us used heavy-duty plastic bags and one member used NEOS overshoes.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

First of all, congrats to you both!

I have a feeling this is just one of (maybe) several Allen TR's from 2/16. When I left the UW lot last night at 5ish there were about 10 vehicles at the Allen TR. Some of it could have been UW overflow though I suppose.

Allen in the winter is great, especially on a blue bird day such as yesterday.
        -veggielasagna

Comment

Well, Trail Boss answered my question about the # of hikers
          -veggielasagna

Comment

Originally posted by veggielasagna View Post
            I have a feeling this is just one of (maybe) several Allen TR's from 2/16. When I left the UW lot last night at 5ish there were about 10 vehicles at the Allen TR. Some of it could have been UW overflow though I suppose.

Allen in the winter is great, especially on a blue bird day such as yesterday.
            I'd say 15-20 people summited Allen yesterday. And yes, the weather was perfect. Perhaps the best butt sliding my butt has ever experienced!

Comment

@Bud

It took my girlfriend and i about 12 hours total to hike allen, if you dont count the other 12hrs we were camping... Also, not that icy, but quite a lot of snow.. and the river crossings were froze up very well, except the first one (not sure which river it is) we had to do the garbage bag trick

@trail boss

YES! THAT WAS US! It was nice to meet you and hope we get to see you another time on the trail. We made it right at sun set, couldnt have been more beautiful!
              46/46
              W46/8

Comment

Garry - Nice to have met you and congratulations on completing the 46. And welcome to the forum. That was the mighty Hudson that you had to wade across. Nice to have all the other crossings frozen.

Comment

Gary. Congratulations to you and your gal for completing the winter 46, way to go. We hope to finish this year too. What was your round trip time sir?

The Tandem Sue & Jack
                  46ers
                  Sue W46r
                  Jack W46r

Comment

Congratulations to you both!

Sunset viewed from atop Allen must have been great!
                    Looking for Views!

Comment

Roughly 13 hours round trip, BUT we did camp over night, so this is a rough estimate... Also, were not the fastest hikers, so im sure you could do it quicker, but I would prepare to spend some quality time with Thawaus and all of the beautiful scenery that is out that way.. Hope this is helpful
                      46/46
                      W46/8

Comment

Congrats on your 46 !
                        Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by GarryMcShane View Post
                          , so this is a rough estimate... Also, were not the fastest hikers, to spend some quality time with Thawaus and all of the beautiful scenery that is out that way.. Hope this is helpful
                          It is not how fast you are, it is did you get there and back safely and did you enjoy the hike that counts.

Congrat of the finish!
                          What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hey Garry;
                            Ditto on the congrats ! excellent !
                            I was with BillB, TelemarkMike and others coming down when we saw you and your friend going up. gorgeous day saturday, but I was definitely thinking of you two on Sunday, even with your "zero degree bags"; must have been chilly!
                            See you again sometime on trail.
                            Eagleye
                            Eagleye.
                            Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Love the buttsliding down Allen. Some of the best I've done.
                              46/46 R 46/46 W

Comment

Working...
                              X