Panther, Couch, Santa and Express!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther, Couch, Santa and Express!

Another great day in the mountains! Had the pleasure of following DougV.'s tracks up to T.Sq, over to Panther and partially out to Couch before catching him. We then followed the v. faint track to Couch. A wonderful lunch break on Couch w/ lots of laughs in the sunshine surrounded by amazing views -- including the new sign! A quick return to T.Sq pleased us when we saw that others had broken out fresh tracks to Santanoni - it looked like a race out of a horse gate to see who would have the quickest route (lots of choices for those that variety!) We met the enthusiastic trailbreakers on the summit, but since they were campers couldn't convince them to join us down the Express. Convinced 4 others to join us down the Express!

DougV. would tell me "totheright/to the left" and eventually we hit the BPond trail about 20yds past the Express Trail Cairn. A few interesting detours including one to visit the ravine w/ the huge whale backs of snow...and some holes where we broke through - no water thankfully!

All thanks to the recruits who joined us and especially to DougV.!!! I wouldn't have even ventured to go w/o you and your gps and your glasses!!! Thanks for a wonderful day in the mountains! What else is on your list? Oh yeah that's right it IS safer if we hike solo.
    inclined to climb...

Nice. How was the snowmobile trail? Skiable?
    #8335W, Solo Winter 46
    ADK Grid 331/552
    Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
    ADK Quest #119
    NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019

Comment

sorry MB - no snowmobile trail - or is that better?
      inclined to climb...

Comment

Inge,

I'm a bit confused by your reply. I skied in last time to the start of the trail to Bradley Pond. I was just looking for info on the conditions to that point...I'll probably bring my skis anyway. Skiing out the last two miles, rather than having to walk it, was heavenly last time after such a trying day.

Sent the Mr. to Iroquois today. He was headed up Boundary from the UW.

-C
        #8335W, Solo Winter 46
        ADK Grid 331/552
        Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
        ADK Quest #119
        NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019

Comment

Oh. Sorry Moosebeware! I thought you were wondering if there were any snowmobile tracks on the club road. There is plenty of snow if you'd like to make ski tracks!

Iroquois is def a favorite. There should still be a fine route once Mr. gets to the A/B col - sorry I don't know the condition of the climb out of A Lake. Best climb in them thar hills!
          inclined to climb...

Comment

Originally posted by Inge View Post
            Oh. Sorry Moosebeware! I thought you were wondering if there were any snowmobile tracks on the club road. There is plenty of snow if you'd like to make ski tracks!

Iroquois is def a favorite. There should still be a fine route once Mr. gets to the A/B col - sorry I don't know the condition of the climb out of A Lake. Best climb in them thar hills!
            Thank you for the info. Good to hear. Mr. has a theory it snows 2-3 inches a day in the Upper Works and he might very well be right.

I agree with you on the Boundary trail. It is absolutely stellar! I did it last summer, but will definitely have it on my winter list for my second round.
            #8335W, Solo Winter 46
            ADK Grid 331/552
            Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
            ADK Quest #119
            NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019

Comment

Hey Inge, glad to finally run into you. I had a great time, and whacking out the expresss was the highlight! First the batteries go dead in the GPS, and then the compass had to be calibrated, but no worries because you have a nose for a herd path like a hound dog! When I hold the GPS at arms length, tilt it just right and close one eye I could just about tell where we were in relation to the track, maybe next time I should just put the glasses on! Hopefully we'll get to hike solo together again.

To anyone considering ascending the new/old trail, as JoeCedar commented shortly ago, good luck.

Memory card dump:
              http://dougvspictures.shutterfly.com/pictures/98

Comment

It was a great day to be out, and the clouds did part for awhile.
                If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Inge and DougV,

Thanks for allowing us to follow down the express and help pack it down some yesterday. This was our 3rd time up on the ridge in winter and we were glad to finally get Santanoni, expecially on such a glorious day! It was an added bonus to shave off those 2 miles down the express.

Comment

Hey Glennypete, glad you decided to join us. You know what they say, "misery loves company"!

Comment

Glennypete! very fine to have you join us - your enthusiasm was greatly appreciated!!

DougV - send me an email and we'll do that solo hike together again soon! I was hoping that you got some pics of the incredible alpenglow and sunset on the drive home! Spectacular mountain and skies that might look good on the Ladies' Mugs. :-) ingeaiken@gmail.com
                      inclined to climb...

Comment

Thanks Inge and Doug!
                        I am sure the groups today are thanking you as well, and I thank them for pounding out a little more today !

Nice pictures Doug, I am excited to go there now that I see that is where real winter has been hiding, stellar!

I sent you a pm moosebeware...
                        Think outside...no box required !

Comment

^^ that's the way to do it. Very nice.
                          Winter hiking -- "It's so easy an eight year old can do it!"

- Photobug65

Comment

Originally posted by Inge View Post
                            I was hoping that you got some pics of the incredible alpenglow and sunset on the drive home! Spectacular mountain and skies that might look good on the Ladies' Mugs. :-)
                            Inge, thought about stopping and getting some pics of that sunset, but I was kinda pooped. Recovered enough once I got home to indulge in a few adult beverages with my Couchie mug though! I'll be in touch.

Comment

Whatever tracks were made on the Express trail were blown in around 3pm. The wind picked up around that time and even following Jim Wallace's tracks off Santanoni were blown in only 45 minutes later! We had to stop and look around for his tracks in a couple of spots. Just was surprised they got blown in in just a short amount of time.

The group I was hiking with ran into a couple small groups coming out shortly after we began. Perhaps we crossed paths!

Comment

Working...
                              X