46r celebration in Seward range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46r celebration in Seward range

A beautiful day for a hike in the mountains Sunday was.A group of four of us met up with a few other forum friends in the Seward range. We would take the caulkins brook route up. Down at low elevation there was perhaps only 6 inches of snow. it was apparent that before this storm there was probably bare ground all along this portion. At about 3000 ft the snow depth began to gain dramatically. For the most part Chris,Vicki and I would take turns busting out the trail through the new snow. At times it was quite deep,maybe a couple feet or so.Looking close for clues we managed to follow the maintained corridor pretty well. Only minimal instances of spruce traps and such. The weather was just incredible. The superb view from Donaldson was crisp and clear unubstructed by even a cloud. With the added snow height the trek over to Emmons offered a great view of long lake. Even the summit seemed to feel more eventful than usual. With us was friend Marty Rathbun who would be finishing his 46th summit on Seward. With him was his close brother Jimmy and potential son in law Walter. Marty is a classic "Couch to Summit" guy who takes a year off and then comes out and pounds out 4 or 5 peaks and then goes back hiding out. When he does climb these he does it with style. A great personality that usually will have you laughing most of the hike.Thankfully Friends Chris and Vicki were there to help break out this trail. I don't know if it could have been completed without their help. Everyone is truly grateful. I know that Chris loves a good workout and a challenge as I do as well. I think we both like the fact that there was actually some nice snow there to break through. Anyhow,after a routine hike over Donaldson and Emmons we made way to Seward! The exposed gully was only partial ice allowing all to ascend with snowshoes. Prepared with axe and crampons climbing this section was the highlight of my afternoon. I was able to ascend a few steeper scrambles without any issues.
    Usually the summit of Seward is uneventful,but this time we would remember it for awhile. Marty climbed to his 46th 4k summit! It was quite exciting! He now is only 3 peaks away from completeing his winter 46 as well. For those of you that do know marty you know that this is a great accomplishment for him. I am glad to have been a part of his ambitious journey to climb them all. Almost 6 years ago I climbed my first summit with marty and his Brother Jimmy. They were well into their 20's range of peaks completed at that time and were like heros to me then. I have lond sinced finished all the peaks winter and summer and always urged Marty to keep plugging away at them, I'm glad to see him finish!
    The hike down was LONG and dragged out. With all the excitement over and adrenaline spent we just marched out without much to say. Once we reached the cairn at the base of caulkins Brk trail we started hiking up the road ascending a relentless hill that went on for at least a half of a mile. Oddly we didnt remember that going in,but will always remember that hiking out. The rest is history. As of Yesterday the Sewards are broken out and clear and there is one more 46er joining the force. I hope all your trips go just as well. Thanks....Jim W #W6672

A great big congratulations to Marty on finishing on a great big mountain.
    An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Hey man, great Job! My buddy Rob and I were the one's who enjoyed you hard work all day by following your trails! We ended-up getting back to the parking-lot a little before 10 PM. Nice to meet you!

Comment

Very happy to read this TR and the good news - Huge Congratulations Marty on #46! Glad you are back adventuring and looking forward to finishing the winter list.

Great job Jim & team.

Comment

congrats marty
          ADK 46-R #6750W
          CL-50 - #51
          CATSKILLS- 9/39
          NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Congrats to Marty on the 46er completion!

Did you start from the summer or winter trailhead? Thanks

Comment

Great job and big congratulations, such a big accomplishment and something to be very proud of.
              Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Great TR Jim. It was a long tough day breaking trail but it was worth it and a great workout. I'm glad Vicki and I were able to be there to help Marty get his 46 as well! I still have to go though all of my video but I'll post up Marty's 46 finish when I get a chance.

Pictures are here:
                http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=8db2fdabc3

Comment

Congrats to Marty! What a great looking day!
                  Be safe --- Respect the Earth --- Have fun --- Joe H.

Comment

Great job you guys! That final hill is very dispiriting. I was looking around for the moving sidewalk!
                    46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
                    48 (NH 4000) + winter
                    NE 115 (#706)
                    NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

..To ChrisCNY:::It was good to meet you guys as well. Glad you made it out alright. I'm sure we'll see you around again on the trails soon..,JW

Comment

Great trip report!

Congratulations to Marty!!!!!! Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                        X