No announcement yet.

Paint the peaks Redfield and Cliff! 2013-02-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heh heh - yes, that's what I get for doing quick posts without proofing.
    Yes, cojones would have been a good word, except maybe not for Mary and her sister As a Spanish speaker, I have to be careful about whom cojones belong.
    46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
    48 (NH 4000) + winter
    NE 115 (#706)
    NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

Great report and pictures. A few years back I crossed Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden in the winter and it was a great experience to see the peaks from that position.

Last year on our trip to MacNaughton, Nancy had us all pose for a picture and before she took it, SummitHat half disappeared into a sprucetrap similiar to your pic. Glad he didn't get up soaked.

Nice job everyone
      The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir.
      #6385W, HOL47er, Ultra6er, CL50 #524

Comment

Originally posted by Jim C View Post
        Great report and pictures. A few years back I crossed Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden in the winter and it was a great experience to see the peaks from that position.

Last year on our trip to MacNaughton, Nancy had us all pose for a picture and before she took it, SummitHat half disappeared into a sprucetrap similiar to your pic. Glad he didn't get up soaked.

Nice job everyone

Jim if I remember right, I was with you coming back from Cliff and Redfield, we met Mary,Oliver and Norm that day
        Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Yea I am finally home form work, I went to bed too early last night and missed all this!

What a great day, This was my third time on these peaks, yet the first I have done Cliff and Redfield as one trip! Wow it is a workout!

This is the best way to hike, with an awesome group and a whacky theme!
          The pictures say it all and I will add the link to mine for anyone who hasn't seen enough RED yet ! I love the looks on the other hikers' faces when they see us!

Always a joy to hike with you Nancy, I am so lucky to have you in my life.
          You are a constant inspiration; your belief in me always pushes me to go for it! Thanks for putting together that really special smilebox!

Thanks for all your support on this hike SummitHat. My sister and I were thrilled to hear that you were joining us. I will say it again: you are one of the kindest, most patient people I have ever met!

And then we heard Trail Boss was joining in on the fun. Oh oh...All I could think was "he is so fast!" Yikes! But thanks Taras for letting us make you take the time to smell the roses even if they were plastic ones! I enjoyed your TR and pictures. It was wonderful to meet you for more than just a quick hello. I am glad to have shared the trail and hope we get the chance again.

Cliff was peak #40 on the sister list! and we certainly earned it. I give my sister a big for working through the minor "meltdown" and having the confidence to get to the top! REDfield and Cupid was a great idea!

pics:
          http://lambflock.shutterfly.com/
          (use f11 for best viewing!)
          Last edited by AlpineLamb; 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM.
          Think outside...no box required !

Comment

Originally posted by Highonlife View Post
            Jim if I remember right, I was with you coming back from Cliff and Redfield, we met Mary,Oliver and Norm that day
            Correct. We met them just below the summit of Cliff. I believe pictures of Oliver playing in the snow made it into the Smilebox...
            The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir.
            #6385W, HOL47er, Ultra6er, CL50 #524

Comment

Great trip and report! Summiting both Cliff and Redfield is a great winter day!
              Doing the shrimp scene from Forest Gump shows great heart! Way to go!

I'm leading an ADK snowshoe to, and maybe across, Avalanche Lake this coming Sunday. Please say a bit more about how supportive the ice was. Did other people's tracks indicate they had problems? Did your tracks get slushy?

Thank you.
              Mark
              A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work.

Remaining Winter NE115 peaks as of 3/11/10:

[None]
              Yes!!!

Comment

Thanks for TR && Pics Tboss, it gives me lots of info I was looking for.

Glad you and your partners had a great day in fantastic weather, hope will have same chance as you.
                8000m 0/14

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                  SummitHat... ventured onto the pristine surface and plunged waist-deep into the brook.
                  Originally posted by Aspiring HP Queen View Post
                  I laughed (not AT, but ABOUT) Summit hat's fall into that creek - we had a causality there as well as we sent the son to explore the path and found out that was NOT the way.
                  Originally posted by Jim C View Post
                  Last year on our trip to MacNaughton, Nancy had us all pose for a picture and before she took it, SummitHat half disappeared into a sprucetrap similiar to your pic.
                  It's good to have skills.

Originally posted by MarkL View Post
                  I'm leading an ADK snowshoe to, and maybe across, Avalanche Lake this coming Sunday. Please say a bit more about how supportive the ice was. Did other people's tracks indicate they had problems? Did your tracks get slushy?
                  The ice last Sunday was strong enough to support our crossings and those of many other hikers & skiers, with no apparent breakthroughs. We found several small areas of open water near the southern outlets of both Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden. Later the ice surface was softened and stickier from sun exposure. Late in the day the ice made a few unsettling crack & groan sounds, however it didn't move or dip.

The warmer weather this week has likely deteriorated the ice surface and caused more water flow under the ice. You will have to assess the conditions and stick to the trail if you have doubts. Have a great trip.

Comment

Most small ponds and Lakes at that elevation should have 2' or more of ice in the middle , the outlets and inlets of course will be slightly open ,stay away from those areas and you won't get wet feet! FYI the booming and cracking is a GOOD sound , it means it's making ice ! Although as an experienced Ice Fisherman I still jump a little when the first ones go under my feet each year . Most generally this happens mornings and evenings do to changing surface temperatures.
                    Timburrwolf
                    23/46
                    8/46w
                    It's better to try and fail ..than not try at all !

Comment

Working...
                    X