Marshall Sunday 2-10-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Sunday 2-10-13

MtDews already reported on Marshall but thought I would recount my trip.

We arrived at the Upper Works driving on roads that were still covered in snow. Roads were plowed, just not clear of the snow. The temperature was a whopping -15 degrees! Whoa, that is cold! Took my backpack out of the vehicle, geared up and was ready to hike by 8:30am. There were 6 in my party! Before I even got to the start of the trailhead, my water froze so for the next 5 miles, I was without! I had a bottle of gatorade but am not fond of that stuff! It worked though.

The morning was looking bright, though freezing! There were two cars in parking lot so that made me smile. When I signed the register book and saw that 3 others had signed in earlier and were going to Marshall, I was smiling! I thought we were going to have to not only break trail, but also try to find our way up. Not having a GPS, I knew this would be difficult. But, alas, the trail was broken the entire way. Woohoo! Thank you so much to those who broke the trail!

I figured that since it was so cold out, Flowed Lands had to be frozen so we trekked acrossed it! That was the highlight of the day! Absolutely beautiful! One of our members did fall through the ice as we got closer to the lean-to on the other end. No water under the ice though so that was good! We veered around the crevasse our friend made. For the most part, Flowed Lands was frozen and definitely worth the trek across. The scenery is some of the finest the adirondacks has to offer! By the time we got to Flowed Lands the temps were already rising and my water was starting to thaw! Yay!

About 20 minutes from the summit we ran into two fellows who came in from the loj. They broke trail all the way to the summit so am very grateful for their hard work! We chatted a little bit and thanked them for their efforts!

Shortly after, we met the 3 people who signed in at the Upper Works before us. They were very nice but were considering turning around. It was about 2:30 so hiking back in the dark was a concern of theirs and the young fellow said he was exhausted. After just a little bit of encouragement, that headed up to the summit and beat my group up! We had one member that also needed encouraging! Being so close to the summit, it would be a shame to turn around. If someone was suffering from frozen toes or hydration or hypothermia, I would have turned around, but we were all fine, just a little tired.

The trail just before the summit leads into a bit of bushwhacking, but the trail was broken so we followed it. I tried to find the actual herdpath from the summit, but wasn't sure where it was so we followed the broken trail down going between some dense trees. Just one small area! The two guys who broke the trail did a great job! They didn't have a GPS to rely on so I thought they did an excellent job locating or coming close to the actual herdpath.

We got back down to the Flowed Lands (ran into the 3 others who were parked at UW, and started across the ice with them. They booked it out!) and was at the interior trail register at 5:00. It took us 2 hours to hike back to the parking area where we once again saw the 3 who started before us. Very nice people!

It took our group 10.5 hours round trip. It was a beautiful day and a gorgeous night! The stars were so bright and so many littered the sky! Just amazing!

11 people total on the summit of Marshall on Sunday.

It was a great day to be alive!

Comment

Nice TR and I have to agree - going across the frozen flowed lands especially on a fine day like sunday is awesome!
      An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Hi there Tag! We were SO lucky that you folks met up with us on the shoulder below the summit! My wife and I were screaming inside to be THAT CLOSE and have to turn around! But... when you agree to help a newbie, that can happen. Your group's enthusiastic pep talk brought our young friend out of his pain and into his gain!! I had just decided to "call it" (being well past our turn-around time) when you showed up. Thanks again and nice to meet you all! We were booking it out because we have an alert system sequence set up with our family that eventually involves the Rangers if they haven't been able to contact us by an appointed time. My wife and I are very cautious hikers, who want to enjoy a glorious and safe hike! Maybe we'll meet again!

Comment

I think that's a smart idea to have an alert system! I get cell reception on the summit and got it on the shoulder, but do not get reception at the parking area! Hope you made it out to a spot where you could call in time before the search was sent out! lol

Icefoot looked like he could handle it. It was a long hike in! The terrain is not difficult, but if one isn't used to the miles, then it can be exhausting. Being so close though....yeah, seemed silly not to go for it. You guys were up to the summit in 10 minutes right? To be THAT close....

It was nice meeting you three and hopefully we'll run into each other again on the trails! Happy Hiking!

Comment

Link to pictures of the day.
            http://s1302.beta.photobucket.com/us...brary/Marshall

Comment

Great pictures!

Comment

Pictures are awesome. We had plans to go on Saturday that were fouled by Nemo. Was hoping for this weekend but the cold temps aren't inviting for us Newbies to winter hiking so we are hoping for the following weekend. Waiting it out. Maybe we will connect with some of the Gathering people on that day if things work out on our favor. Sort of new to this winter thing! Did cascade and porter last year but that really can't compare with a trail less peak. Being smart about it!
                Moo
                HPHikingmoo

Comment

Thanks Mike! It was such a beautiful day and area that it was hard to take a bad photo!

HPHikingMoo, this is only my 2nd year of winter hiking in the high peaks, but yes, wait until you feel comfortable tackling a herdpath peak. There was a trail broken out for us though so we really got lucky! I thought we were going to have to break trail AND try to follow the herdpath without a GPS.

Right now a trail is broken and easy to follow. If you wait until the end of winter, the Flowed Lands may not be frozen, so you'll have to take those ups and downs to get to the start of the herdpath.

Comment

Originally posted by tag View Post
                    Thanks Mike! It was such a beautiful day and area that it was hard to take a bad photo!

HPHikingMoo, this is only my 2nd year of winter hiking in the high peaks, but yes, wait until you feel comfortable tackling a herdpath peak. There was a trail broken out for us though so we really got lucky! I thought we were going to have to break trail AND try to follow the herdpath without a GPS.

Right now a trail is broken and easy to follow. If you wait until the end of winter, the Flowed Lands may not be frozen, so you'll have to take those ups and downs to get to the start of the herdpath.
                    Thanks. I have been keeping tabs on the Trip Reports; I love the idea of going over the flowed lands and it sounds like a nice hike, although long. Definately want to go when it's broken out. We are anxious to try something in the winter to try out all that new gear we bought last year that we didn't have opportunity to use, but am so unsure about hiking such a long way in below 20 degee temps. Watching the long range forecast for next Saturday. Keeping our finger crossed.
                    Moo
                    HPHikingmoo

Comment

Good luck on your adventure. Hope the weather cooperates for you!

Comment

Originally posted by tag View Post
                        Good luck on your adventure. Hope the weather cooperates for you!
                        Thanks. I think we are going to try for Friday; we were planning Saturday, but the weather looks better for Friday. Our son is working on his 46 too and he is going with us so there will be three of us. Am anxious for our first "real" winter hike of any length.
                        Moo
                        HPHikingmoo

Comment

Working...
                        X