Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upper Works to South Meadow ski traverse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Works to South Meadow ski traverse.

This trip was planned about a month ago, as most trips are... while sitting around drinking beer. It almost turned into a hike up Marshall since there was no snow worth skiing a few days ago, but then the dump happened. We pushed back our day from Saturday to Sunday since driving down Friday night would have been stupid.

So Saturday we awoke to a lovely day, drove down to the Loj and spotted a car at South Meadows. Continued on to Newcomb in somewhat cramped vehicular quarters and spent the night in a nice cabin along the Hudson river. Got on the trail just as it was getting light. We were the first to arrive in the parking lot, but we followed a pair of snowshoe tracks from Photobug65 the day before
    http://adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20495
    until they turned off towards Indian Pass. We broke trail the rest of the way to Lake Colden where we met a couple guys on snowshoes.

Had lunch at Avalanche Lake, and then the crowds started. Was a hoot of a good time as we flew down the switchbacks to Marcy Dam. I have never seen so many people coming up this way on skis at one time though. After being alone all day this was a bit of a shock... thanks to all who jumped out of our way as we came careening through in marginal control!

Stopped at Marcy Dam for a final break before coasting out the truck trail. At one point we heard a bunch of gunfire close by. Shortly after I noticed drops of blood along the trail for a little ways. Not equating the gunfire earlier, I was wondering who was bleeding, and then ran into some guys beside the trail. Thinking they might be hurt I was about to offer assistance when BANG! The crack of a gun rang out right beside us. The mystery resolved, and a little bit of uncomfortableness about how close people were hunting to a busy trail, we continued to the end.

One of the best skis I have done in the Dacks. Could not have asked for better snow conditions or weather too.

Some photos here: http://web.ncf.ca/mbowler/tmp/adk_traverse

Awesome ski trip - it is on my 'bucket list'. Yesterday was a great day to do it!
    An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Nice report. I'd like to do that traverse with or without skis. I think it would be interesting if you cross posted your trip report on the ADK Forum to see the differing opinions of hunters in regards to hunting near relatively busy trails.
      ADK 46/46 4W CATS 39/39 8W ADK100 63/102 VT35 26/29 FT's 25/29 VT FT's 9/15

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
      "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Comment

Nice pictures . It looks like a beautiful day . I don't ski but definately would like to hike that someday .
        Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
          I think it would be interesting if you cross posted your trip report on the ADK Forum
          I bet Neil hopes you don't

Comment

Is it still hunting season? I thought that ended.

Comment

I should have mentioned. One of our party lost a glove at the start of the day. At the end of the day, we found that someone had placed it on the hood of the car. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by tag View Post
                Is it still hunting season? I thought that ended.
                Big Game seasons end in December but most Small Game is still open, especially Rabbit and Coyote, of which I've seen a bit of sign of them along the Marcy Truck Rd. (Squirrel, Bobcat, Grouse, Pheasant and Fox are also open) Also Spring Turkey Season runs the month of May.

These hunters may have been taking advantage of the fresh snowfall for tracking purposes.
                ADK 46/46 4W CATS 39/39 8W ADK100 63/102 VT35 26/29 FT's 25/29 VT FT's 9/15

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
                "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Comment

Thanks for pics && TR. Must have been a somewhat scaring experience to hear bullets wheazing nearby.....
                  8000m 0/14

Comment

Working...
                  X