Wright, Algonquin & iroquois 2.10.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wright, Algonquin & iroquois 2.10.13

Let me start of by saying, epic! What a great day to be out and about.

We set off from the Loj around 850, with lots of people signed out for our destinations in mind. The trail was great and packed down from all the traffic. We made it to the junction with the trail to Wright in just under two hours. We took some time to refuel, I changed into my microspikes, and dropped my bag, and then it was off to the summit. It took us 24 minutes to reach the top. Wow, what great views, minimal wind and plenty of sun! We spent some time basking in the sun, snapping awesome pictures, and then we were off. It took me 7 minutes to get back to the junction with the trail to Algonquin. There were some icy spots, but I managed fine with spikes on.

Back at the junction, I grabbed my pack, but decided to pack up the snowshoes and keep the spikes on. With some careful navigating, we made it up the steep spots no problem. AS we reached the tops of the steep sections, all I could do was look back and smile, and imagine how amazing it was going to be to go down. Anyway, that's a story for later. 0.9 miles, 50 minutes and one nose bleed later, we reached the summit. We changed into some dry clothes and basked in the sunshine for a while before we were off to iroquois.

It took us 34 minutes from summit to summit. What amazing views yet again! No wind, bare rocks, and plenty of sun! We took some time to snap more photos and we were off again! It took us 40 minutes to reach the summit of Algonquin. Then we were off like the wind.

As I mentioned earlier about being excited for the butt sliding back down Algonquin, it was just as epic as I imagined it would be! Great video footage, lots of speed and lots of snow in my face. It took us 14 minutes to travel the 0.9 miles back to the junction. Not bad if you ask me! So much fun.

At the junction, I changed my gloves again, shook off the snow, and hauled it back to the Loj. I took us 50 minutes from junction to the Loj.

Then it was off to the brewery for some dinner and some brewskis. It was my first 46er ale as an "official" 46er! ( I got my number the other day....how exciting!).

Overall, amazing hike, great people, great weather, great sun, great photos! Picture perfect day in the peaks!

Pictures... Keep in mind they seem to be last photos taken first, first photos are last...

Www.photobucket.com/emily11mariewrialgiro
    #7760W

Nice when you can be above treeline in the winter on days like yesterday. Nice trip and TR.
    offonadventure.com

Comment

Where did all that snow from the blizzard go??
      46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
      48 (NH 4000) + winter
      NE 115 (#706)
      NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

How was your trip to Iroquois? The view of the Macs from Panther were pretty stellar.
        #8335W, Solo Winter 46
        ADK Grid 331/552
        Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
        ADK Quest #119
        NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019

Comment

It was a great day to be on any mountain - especially the ones with bald summits Nice TR. Looking forward to the photos.
          An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Originally posted by moosebeware View Post
            How was your trip to Iroquois? The view of the Macs from Panther were pretty stellar.
            It was good! Definitely not packed down as well as wright or Algonquin, but still amazing. We wore spikes over, maybe snowshoes would have made it that much better, who knows. easy navigating, and not a lot of icy spots.

Sometimes I prefer iroquois to Algonquin because its quieter.
            #7760W

Comment

I did the same trip as you did Saturday but that wasn't the intent. Snowshoe failure (6 rivets on two snowshoes, must be a record) dictated that I return to HPIC before reaching the jct to Algonquin. I rented a pair of the same EVO Ascents at HPIC for <$15 (includes 10% ADK members discount) and then changed plans leaving to go to Algonquin and Iroquois and for fun side trip to Wright.

I wore the snow shoes with exception of the rocky descent to the jct of the path to Iroquois, the rocky descent and more icy descent to snow from Algonquin and the climb and descent of Wright's rocky cone. For these I bare booted as there was little ice. Especially so on Wright which had pretty much all bare rock to gain traction.

I have to say that I was dismayed by the number of people who have microspike type traction aids that avoided negligible ice and the marked route on both Algonquin and Wright. Rather it seems that most people perfer to travel parallel to the blazed route trampling arctic plants in order to add life to their $60 devices.

Anyway I agree with was a beautiful day. Not much snow though.

I also bumped into and met Catdacker and Greygoose for the 1st time - nice meeting you two on the trail.

Don

Comment

Loved your photos!! Looked like spring up there
                An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspiring HP Queen View Post
                  Where did all that snow from the blizzard go??
                  Prolly got blown across Lake Champlain to Vt.

Comment

Other than the starting temperature of -10deg, it was an ideal day. My friend and I went up Wright, and were passed by most of you!

Comment

Hi Gracepoints, We started before you so you must have passed us at sometime. We saw Hear the footsteps (Don) out there and many other people
                      that chose a great day to hike Algonquin. A few came over to Iroquois which was our goal for the day. We did not go up Wright because we already had it in Feb. When we got back to Algonquin from Iroquois there were 25 people sitting around enjoying the day. We met lots of hikers from Wilton out on the trails. 9 peaks to go. Mike & Ellen

Comment

Originally posted by catdacker View Post
                        Hi Gracepoints, We started before you so you must have passed us at sometime. We saw Hear the footsteps (Don) out there and many other people
                        that chose a great day to hike Algonquin. A few came over to Iroquois which was our goal for the day. We did not go up Wright because we already had it in Feb. When we got back to Algonquin from Iroquois there were 25 people sitting around enjoying the day. We met lots of hikers from Wilton out on the trails. 9 peaks to go. Mike & Ellen
                        We must have met you at some point then! I was on Algonquin with the 2 other people! I was the one wearing the obnoxiously colored yellow jacket!
                        #7760W

Comment

Beautiful photos. The Macs have some incredible views.
                          ADK 46er #9204, 14/46 W

Comment

Working...
                          X