A few words about and for Couchsacraga 2/10/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Highonlife View Post
    Couchie is like an old friend to me now, the only thing I miss is the old sign, just loved it

Here you go! (circa Summer 2010)
    Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
      Could you make a replica and affix it in such a way that it can never be removed?
      I will work on that, guess it would be a reason to go back
      Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by RTSpoons View Post
        Funny, I think the first time I went to Couch it was with Claudia and the ADK group. We missed the herdpath, as I recall, going to far to the left. We than had to push our way through the spruce until we finally dropped down on the path (it was winter).

Ron you were in the group too....I remember you and your icy mustache We sure did miss the herdpath but I got awesome photos because of it. Many were beaten up after that hike
        Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

I will work on that, guess it would be a reason to go back
          Can you have it done by Sunday?
          Ready to join AlpineLamb's flock...

46W +1W
          AlpineAce: 46/46
          AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Christina the great!

Christina, You three were amazing on Sunday. It was -20F, and you left the parking lot just ahead of us, we thought for sure we would catch up with you but did not. You, Telemark Mike along with Lisa and dog Rev did "yeoman's work". We left parking lot at 7:55am, and made Panther summit at 1:00pm. The rocks were warm to the touch from the brilliant midday sun. No need for a parka while devouring lunch. Then it was on to Couch where we met up with you. Despite your warnings, we proceeded and got to Couch at 3:55pm, and left by 4:00pm. Got back to Herald Square by 5:50pm, made a quick change of clothes & gloves, got some food and drink and departed at 6:07pm. The trip down was really pleasant, the trail easy to follow, the stars were brilliant, and temps kept dropping, making it down to -8F by the time we got to the parking lot at 9:45pm. It was really satisfying getting two peaks, but we owe you three big time, and will lead on the next trip, buy dinner or something. I have 5 to go, Sue has 7 to go for our winter round.
            Note: On the way to Couch, there are many deadend paths from Sunday. For all of those we placed a branch either across that path, or stuck it in the path. So for the rest of you going to Couch, if you get to a fork, take the HP without the stick in it.
            As we come from Auburn, we found a great place to stay in Newcomb, at Cloudsplitter, right on 28N next to the Hudson River. They have 2 cabins for rent, quite reasonable, one fancy one plain, Dave and Ruth Olbert proprietors. Don't look for a sign there isn't one. Our favorite place to stay up north is Adirondack Rock & River, nothing beats Ed Palen & staff. Great accomodations and fabulous food.

The Tandem
            46ers
            Sue W46r
            Jack W46r

Comment

BTW.....Couchie is like an old friend to me now, the only thing I miss is the old sign, just loved it
              I remember the tree just had the holes where the old sign used to be (I have the photo). Then the next time there was a sign but it was a plain, wooden one with the name of the summit quickly painted on it; blah. Next time I went, that sign was gone, too!

I hate it when people steal stuff!
              We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Panther & Couch 2/10/13

Moose Beware, You did great work on Sunday getting to Couch. It was a tough day, but most satisfying indeed. The weather was spectacular, starting at -20f and reaching the +30's mid day. The sun was glorious. Hope to see you again on a peak soon.
                The Tandem......Sue & Jack
                46ers
                Sue W46r
                Jack W46r

Comment

Working...
                X