A few words about and for Couchsacraga 2/10/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few words about and for Couchsacraga 2/10/13

I'm just going to say it. Couchsacraga is mentally destructive. Once you've been there, you are never the same, because well, you know you've been there. It's like waking up after a week-long bender in New Orleans.

Trail up Bradley Pond, Panther HP broken, but not consolidated as I took the lead of the three parties who arrived at roughly the same time this morning. Sucked all the energy out of me. I wouldn't see Telemark Mike and his wife until my return to Herald sq. after my quasi-successful attempt to find the HP to Couch through random and deep drifts of snow. Whoever went out there last didn't get very far. Mike and I went out to Couch and I'll let him tell his story. A little more than half- way back up to TS, I ran into The Tandem, who also have a story to tell.

Back at car at 5:45 and arguably one of the hardest trail-less hikes. Glad I only have to back for the other two.

Thank you again, Mike. The three of us did a great job....

Today put me to only 10 left for the overall and 30/46W.
    #8335W, Solo Winter 46
    ADK Grid 331/552
    Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
    ADK Quest #119
    NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019

Well done. Getting that one after a significant snow dump is a pretty big deal.
    Winter hiking -- "It's so easy an eight year old can do it!"

- Photobug65

Comment

It is a test of your character and a reminder that the mountains can be a maze. It is always nice to earn a peak.
      What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by moosebeware View Post
        Thank you again, Mike. The three of us did a great job....
        I found the hike to Couchie to be fun. The snow wasn't so deep that we couldn't break trail. It's just the dog woes that made my day difficult.

Hope to see you on another hike in the future.
        offonadventure.com

Comment

No, the snow wasn't too bad and thank you to Mr. Moose's GPS tracks as extra guidance. Glad I could pitch in with the technical support.

Still looking for the redeeming qualities of that maintain. I guess it will have to be that she returned your dog.

Hope to see you all again as well.
          #8335W, Solo Winter 46
          ADK Grid 331/552
          Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
          ADK Quest #119
          NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019

Comment

Just wondering why you chose not to do Panther?
            “Keep close to Nature's heart...and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
            -John Muir

ADK 46-R 7090W
            Saranac Lake 6er (3x) 11U, UW
            Catskill 3500 2265; 921W

Comment

Originally posted by Photobug65 View Post
              Just wondering why you chose not to do Panther?
              To answer that question, Santa wasn't broken and neither myself nor Mike were going to try it due to the lateness of the day/lost dog. Because I have to go back for Santa, it made sense to leave Panther as well. Couch was my priority and I'm glad I got it. I couldn't imagine having to go back for that, knowing what I know now.
              #8335W, Solo Winter 46
              ADK Grid 331/552
              Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
              ADK Quest #119
              NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019

Comment

Sounds like a peak to keep your head down and trudge until you run into the summit sign, same on the return to Herald Sq.

Glad you got it!
                If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Originally posted by NumNum View Post
                  Sounds like a peak to keep your head down and trudge until you run into the summit sign, same on the return to Herald Sq.

Glad you got it!
                  Yes! That's exactly it. Keep your head down. Makes C&B look like a good time! There is no reason to go out there. Don't do it. Save yourself.
                  #8335W, Solo Winter 46
                  ADK Grid 331/552
                  Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
                  ADK Quest #119
                  NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019

Comment

My first hike of Couchie was over a winter path that had been beaten into submission by 20-30 hikers the day before.

The last time I went to Couchie (runt of the litter?) was with Mastergrasshopper who likes it so much he's been there 20-25 times. While Couchie isn't exactly the most spectacular of the 46, getting there in winter when the trail is obscured by new snow can be one of the tougher hikes.

What I particularly like about Couchie is its remoteness and the navigational and physical challenges. Nowadays, getting there can be made a lot easier thanks to gps technology. We used a gps in the winter of 11-12 but even then we spent a lot of time floundering around in waste-deep snow. (there are no spruce traps when one is on the herd path)

From the summit, looking (way) up to the Panther-Santa ridge-line can be kind of intimidating.

My most memorable hike of Couchie involved bushwhacking to it from Little Santanoni. I'll never forget that long trudge up to Times Square in new October snow as darkness fell.

Comment

It certainly is a "legendary" mountain, I'm glad you could "conquer" it. Seems like there should be a shirt for this one "I survived Couchie" or maybe an extra patch for ADK #62 (that's right 62nd in height!). It must be partially psychological because going up Marcy from Skylight is about 1000ft gain and I felt a lot better on that then the trek over to Couchie, maybe the views helped too.
                      ADK 46/46 4W CATS 39/39 8W ADK100 63/102 VT35 26/29 FT's 25/29 VT FT's 9/15

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
                      "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                        What I particularly like about Couchie is its remoteness and the navigational and physical challenges. Nowadays, getting there can be made a lot easier thanks to gps technology. We used a gps in the winter of 11-12 but even then we spent a lot of time floundering around in waste-deep snow. (there are no spruce traps when one is on the herd path)
                        The GPS wasn't accurate enough to really be useful as more than a terrain map and a general direction of where the herd path could be. Loren's tracks out and back weren't near each other and he took the same path in both directions. Go figure. So much for technology, the dog was far more accurate.
                        #8335W, Solo Winter 46
                        ADK Grid 331/552
                        Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
                        ADK Quest #119
                        NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019

Comment

Originally posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
                          It certainly is a "legendary" mountain, I'm glad you could "conquer" it. Seems like there should be a shirt for this one "I survived Couchie" or maybe an extra patch for ADK #62 (that's right 62nd in height!). It must be partially psychological because going up Marcy from Skylight is about 1000ft gain and I felt a lot better on that then the trek over to Couchie, maybe the views helped too.
                          I must be crazy because I liked the hike to Couchie in the snow. . I must be reading too many reports by Neil and MG and others that have twisted my thinking.
                          offonadventure.com

Comment

Originally posted by moosebeware View Post
                            The GPS wasn't accurate enough to really be useful as more than a terrain map and a general direction of where the herd path could be. Loren's tracks out and back weren't near each other and he took the same path in both directions. Go figure. So much for technology, the dog was far more accurate.
                            The weakness of GPS is that the inaccuracies of the instrument can be doubled, first in the recording of the tracklog and secondly in trying to follow it, whether using the same or a different unit. The one meter-wide path is somewhere within a 10-20 meters-wide corridor that is rendered as a thin line on the screen.

At least one is able to discern whether the path is to one's left or one's right.

I wonder if the dog was able to detect the scent of previous hikers. It seems unlikely if there was lots of fresh snow and if several days had passed since the last hiker, although you hear stories...

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                              The weakness of GPS is that the inaccuracies of the instrument can be doubled, first in the recording of the tracklog and secondly in trying to follow it, whether using the same or a different unit. The one meter-wide path is somewhere within a 10-20 meters-wide corridor that is rendered as a thin line on the screen.

At least one is able to discern whether the path is to one's left or one's right.

I wonder if the dog was able to detect the scent of previous hikers. It seems unlikely if there was lots of fresh snow and if several days had passed since the last hiker, although you hear stories...
                              I recently hiked the Klondike Notch trail to Yard and Big Slide. The trail was completely unbroken and likely hadn't been traveled much at all at that point in the winter. There were few blazes on the first mile or so of the trail but I just kept following my dog. He just kept his nose down and appeared to be following several month old tracks under a foot or more of snow.
                              Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
                              I'm always gonna wanna make it move
                              Always gonna be an uphill battle
                              Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
                              Ain't about how fast I get there
                              Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
                              It's the climb
                              -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Working...
                              X