Giant 2/2/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant 2/2/13

Left home at about 9pm and got to the High Peaks Welcome Center at about 1:30am. I sacked out in the back of our Outback. Very cliche, I know When I woke up in the morning it was about 9 degrees and I was warm in my Mountain Hardware -30 bag. Headed over to the trailhead and had some breakfast and got ready for the hike.

This my first hike in cold to quite this degree and it did take a bit to warm up and get used to it. My toes and face were pretty cold but after the first mile I was nicely warmed. I felt kind of slow and clumsy and I was also using some new mittens and I initially felt just generally "off." I pushed on and once I got the to the "bump" and had a snack I was feeling better. My hands and feet were toasty and I was moving along ok.

The trail was all ice and hard packed snow with a little exposed rock here and there but not too much. I used my microspikes all the way up. Near the Giant summit a couple passed my going down. I had seen them in the parking area and they had literally run up and down the mountain. Quite impressive. They were also wearing full crampons, having swithced from their spikes on the ascent. The woman suggested I switch over if I had them, especially on the descent. I had been thinking about that since there were a few spots I was thinking about on the way up that might be a little rough for me coming down. I also thought it might be a good opportunity to get some crampon experience under not so severe conditions. This turned out to be a good plan for me.

Other than around the house just to try them on I had not had a need to use my crampons. I have BD Contact strap crampons and they worked great. I put them on right before the summit of Giant and the difference is huge. I know most people reading this already know, but they are totally different tool than microspikes. I was able to ascend and descend all of the "ice ramps" using flat foot french technique and bending my knees where appropriate so easy as compared to using my microspikes on similar conditions. I could have gotten by with spikes, but this was really a good opportunity for me. I was able to descend faster, more safely, and more comfortably using the crampons in this case.

I had intended to do RPR too, but I was a little tired and I estimated that if I only did Giant I might still be able to get home and put my son to bed in time. It worked out and I got home before he was asleep

All in all a very good day for me with a few new experiences - heading up the night before and sleeping in the car, using crampons, 8 degree weather, heading home early to be with the family. 10/46 3W Yay I made double digits!!!

I would have welcomed that 8 degrees. Although if you did go over to RPR I bet it would have been below zero.

I hiked Algonquin and Wright on Saturday and with the windchill it was -45 degrees. Well below my comfort level!

The conditions certainly have changed in the adirondacks. Back in the early part of January, I hiked Giant and RPR with snow, but well packed trail and encountered no ice at all! It was nice!

Comment

Originally posted by tag View Post
      I hiked Algonquin and Wright on Saturday and with the windchill it was -45 degrees. Well below my comfort level!
      Yeah the summit of Giant was a bit windy and colder (my nose and chin felt it) but I am sure nothing like Wright and Algonquin with that level of exposure.

Posted a few photos:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10394...12177680041489

Comment

It sounds like you are really getting out there and trying new things. Way to go !
        Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

Giant 2/2/13

Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
          It sounds like you are really getting out there and trying new things. Way to go !
          Yeah last year when I didn't winter hike and just read trip reports I decided I needed to start. I felt very left out but not this year.

Comment

Working...
          X