Algonquin & Iroquois (& Wright) 1.27 & Esther & Whiteface 1.28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algonquin & Iroquois (& Wright) 1.27 & Esther & Whiteface 1.28

These hikes exemplified everything good about hiking and the ADKHP Forum!

The wordy version & pics will be updated eventually, but for conditions and a brief report:

Sunday I met AdiDaxi, Sarah, and AlpineLamb to hike Algonquin & Iroquois. We started off the day by meeting The Adirondack Ladies & Murph at the HPIC-- so you know it's going to be a good day when you mee them!

We headed out on snowshoes in cold temps (-3*F) and found the wind above treeline. Wicked windy. We used snowshoes up and over Algonquin (except AlpineLamb who barebooted down from the summit), which made it more challenging to stay steady.

At the col we headed to Iroquois in snowshoes and they were a good choice there. No problems on the climb. AdiDAxi hit the cairn first--glad that the 4th time was the charm. Windy so we didn't stay long.

At the col we decided to bareboot back up Algonquin and advised some hikers we met that it was a good choice. We had no problem climbing up the bare rock. The summit was less windy and very sunny. We chatted with other hikers, took lots of pictures, and then started down, adding microspikes for traction.

After an unevenful descent AdiDAxi and Sarah headed up Wright since Sarah needed it for her W. AlpineLamb and I headed out, and they finished about 40 minutes behind us, So 8-8.5 hours in total.

AdiDAxi, Sarah, and I stayed at Tmax & Topos and had a great dinner and a comfortable night. We also had the pleasure of meeting the hosts (though I saw no frogs!), as well as SoloJoe!

On Monday we got up and met BillB and Eagleye at the ASRC. It was overcast, but much milder. We used snowshoes all day and got warmed up quickly on the Marble Mtn Trail. A light snow started middway up and we decided to do Esther first. No problems there. We had a few glimpses of gray views, and in general it is a beauitful trail with snow.

The drone of snowmaking machines accompanied us towards Whiteface and we actually got misted by new snow crossing the trail. The only dicey part of the hike was coming up to the road over rocks and ice, and climbing up from the road up a slippery step and some ice flows above the wall. The wind picked up a lot above the road and we got pelted with fine snow as we climbed above treeline.

On the summit we took pictures, but didn't linger. Once we got past the road on the descent it was an easy stroll out. We butt slid a little, but had a tough time making good, fast tracks. We finished 6.25 hours after starting.

It was a great time, especially meeting so many wonderful people from the forum, both on the trail and off the trail. I am looking forward to the Gathering and seeing so many now familiar faces, and meeting new ones.
    Last edited by WannabeALjr; 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM.
    Ready to join AlpineLamb's flock...

46W +1W
    AlpineAce: 46/46
    AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/

Nice couple of days back to back.
    wind on Algonquin you say....unbelievable
    I love winter hiking for the very same reasons you highlighted, I almost always run into someone from the forums.
    The last I saw Topo (frog) he was sitting on the bar in the main room. But he does guide Topofgothics on most of his trips so he may have been recovering elsewhere.
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

I was pretty bummed when on Sunday morning my hiking partner told me that I would be flying solo due to him getting sick. I didn't want to make him hang out all day so we decided that I would run up cascade and porter while he rested in the hotel room. My morning was spent looking over at Algonquin and thinking about how awesome it would be to be up there. Perhaps next time we will run across each other on the trail. It sounds like you had a fun time.
      ADK 46/46, 22w
      NH 21/48
      NE 70/115

Comment

Sounds like nice hikes both days - looking forward to the photos It was a nice start to our hike chatting with you all.
        An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

and thers a longer wordy version...

nice few days ladies.
          ADK 46-R #6750W
          CL-50 - #51
          CATSKILLS- 9/39
          NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Thanks for the TR. Great hiking with all of you on Monday. Views were largely non-existent, but it sure was better than going to work!

Photos and a short movie here

Comment

Originally posted by jelaxbroc View Post
              I was pretty bummed when on Sunday morning my hiking partner told me that I would be flying solo due to him getting sick. I didn't want to make him hang out all day so we decided that I would run up cascade and porter while he rested in the hotel room. My morning was spent looking over at Algonquin and thinking about how awesome it would be to be up there. Perhaps next time we will run across each other on the trail. It sounds like you had a fun time.
              Aw, too bad...I wondered what had happened. We passed some guys on Algonquin but I couldn't wear my glasses (fogging) and I was so focused on watching where I was going...so I wasn't sure if we had passed you. At least you had a good day.

Originally posted by vieWseeker View Post
              and thers a longer wordy version...

nice few days ladies.
              It's ok, you can just look at the pictures.

What can I say, I have a lot to say.

Originally posted by BillB View Post
              Thanks for the TR. Great hiking with all of you on Monday. Views were largely non-existent, but it sure was better than going to work!

Photos and a short movie here
              It was so nice to meet you! And I loved the video...I had no idea you were doing that. Really cool.
              Ready to join AlpineLamb's flock...

46W +1W
              AlpineAce: 46/46
              AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

You sneeky guy BillB ! A video ! Nice. Let's see more of that !
                Eagleye.
                Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Algonquin and Iroquois was a fun trip! Thanks Wannabe, Penny and Sarah for letting me come along. Great to meet you Sarah and to hike with you again AdiDaxi . I am glad you all got to Iroquois! These two were on the sister peak list : # 38 & #39 !

I have been fortunate to do Algonquin and Iroquois twice on bluebird days, but the wind on Sunday was brutal and having snowshoes without snow was definitely making it harder, so I took mine off at the summit and practically ran down the other side in bare boots. No one else would believe me at that point that it was easier, but the rock was completely dry and super grippy!

Glad day 2 was also a success and that you had some fun company! Thanks for those pictures and the video Bill .

Pictures from Day 1 :

http://lambflock.shutterfly.com/
                  (use f11)
                  Think outside...no box required !

Comment

right on, lamb sister. it was great hanging with you, adidaxi, and sarah at the hostel. the flock is a strong, fun crew. bummer i didn't get to meet your leader. ... cool clip, billb. i love whiteface.
                    You know I'm born to lose / And gambling's for fools / But that's the way I like it, baby / I don't wanna live forever "Ace of Spades" - Motorhead

Comment

Nice "Googles" Way to get it done ladies !!
                      Timburrwolf
                      23/46
                      8/46w
                      It's better to try and fail ..than not try at all !

Comment

A fun and successful two days with fun people. I am ready to get back out there.

Comment

WannabeALjr, and AlpineLamb, BillB, SoloJoe, Eagleye,.....so great to meet you all!
                          Great hiking....thanks for the added experience!!!
                          Sarah

Comment

Sounds like a great couple of days......hoping to hook with you sometime this winter. Forum sure does have many good people, glad you are meeting even more
                            Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Working...
                            X