1/27/13 Colvin/Blake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/27/13 Colvin/Blake

I took off from the ausable club at approx. 9:20 am and hammered up the lake road wishing I had some backcountry skis. I had attempted to do Colvin/Blake last winter and went solo with some fresh snow etc. long story short I ended up breaking trail in waist deep drifts and was exhausted when I hit Colvin so I was unable to grab Blake last year. So anyway this being my third trip up Colvin and my second time to Blake and once again I was flying solo, and just wanted this hike behind me I found myself running/walking up the lake road.

I took the gill brook cutoff trail and donned my snowshoes at the junction with lake rd. I continued onward and upward with relative ease, no fresh snow just a hard packed trail. I wore my snowshoes, however micros would have been ok. In about 2.5 hrs I was on the summit of Colvin and was rewarded with blue bird skies and an exceptional view of Marcy,Haystack and Skylight. I took a quick break and fired up my iPod and proceeded to Blake💀 nothing real eventful as you know not much to see there! I trudged back down Blake and up the ladders on Colvin just cruising along jamming to my tunes, it was peaceful I only saw one other hiker between Colvin/Blake and passed a group of Canadians on Colvin. I ended up taking the gill brook trail on the way out for a change of scenery, low snow conditions through there made the trail less desirable. Once I was back to the lake rd I was back to bare boots and steam rolling along, I was passed by some skiers and I was again suffering from gear envy! Anyway back to the car in about 6.5 hrs and just glad to knock that one off the list.

You did make good time, did you have "Truckin" on your ipod

Hopefully you had a chance to enjoy the great views from the summit of Colvin and the lookout a couple hundred yards on the Blake side of Colvin's summit.

Comment

Originally posted by rbalbs View Post
      You did make good time, did you have "Truckin" on your ipod

Hopefully you had a chance to enjoy the great views from the summit of Colvin and the lookout a couple hundred yards on the Blake side of Colvin's summit.
      I did enjoy the views and the lookout just past the Colvin summit, and actually I was rockin to some Billy Squier followed by Alice in Chains. Hey by the way did Sean G. forward my hiking schedule to you? If you don't have it send me a pm and I'll get it to you, maybe something will line up.

Comment

Was that you who passed us on the road?

Comment

Originally posted by billandjudy View Post
          Was that you who passed us on the road?
          I did chat briefly with a nice couple that were headed to nippletop and dial? If that is you then yes we did meet on the lake rd.

Comment

Nope..not us

Comment

hemi:
              I've never been in A-club in winter, but assume from your post that the road from the gate is not plowed, so ski-able? Can one ski from the parking lot to the club/gate also ? thanks for a good post !
              Eagleye.
              Isaiah 40:31

Comment

I wouldn't recommend skiing until you get to the gate / trail register.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleye View Post
                  hemi:
                  I've never been in A-club in winter, but assume from your post that the road from the gate is not plowed, so ski-able? Can one ski from the parking lot to the club/gate also ? thanks for a good post !
                  I wondered the same thing so thanks for asking. if we ever get any real snow at the lower elevation, my wife and myself plan on skiing in, stashing the skis and then shoeing into Indian Head to enjoy a lunch. At one of our favorite spots in the Adks. We've only seen it in the summer months so seeing it in the winter would be a treat.
                  ADK's HIGH PEAKS
                  Round 2 - 16/46-R
                  Round 1 - 15-46-W
                  Saranac Lake 6er
                  6/6-R
                  0/6-W
                  CATSKILL 35
                  5/35-R
                  Devils Path Traverse

FIRE TOWERS
                  8/29

"Every Mountiain top is within reach if you just keep climbing."
                  -Barry Finlay

Comment

Working...
                  X