1st Winter peaks- Algonquin and Wright 1/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Winter peaks- Algonquin and Wright 1/26

First, thanks to all those that post trip reports and advice. It really helped in planning out our first attempt at a winter summit.

Basher and I hiked our 1st winter peaks on Saturday 1/26. Our goal was Algonquin and Wright...and to return safely. Mission accomplished.

We we're the first signed in at the Loj trail head around 6am. I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26573159@N08/8426135760/

Also, I lost Suunto watch somewhere on the summit of Wright. Upon my return to the trail head I left a note at the registry. Sunday night received a phone call from another hiker who picked it up and is sending it to me in the mail. Thanks Paul!!!!!

Looking forward to many more winter hikes.
    Bill
    p.s. I also captured inspiration for future designs.
    www.46outfitters.com

Congrats on your 1st Winter Peaks - you picked a couple nice ones. Fantastic Pics, what a sweet day. To many more winter peaks

Comment

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Looks like it was a great day.
      Moo
      HPHikingmoo

Comment

you did some great first peaks...almost spoiled for winter conditions... congrats.
        ADK 46-R #6750W
        CL-50 - #51
        CATSKILLS- 9/39
        NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

44 to go! Nice job! Great photos!
          An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Congratulations on your 1st winter peaks! Looking at the pics, I see you carried your snowshoes so must not have been enough snow for those. How was the ice and did you use crampons at all? Just curious b/c I am climbing Algonquin, Wright, and Iroquios this Saturday.

Comment

Beautiful photos. Congratulations on your first winter peaks.
              ADK 46er #9204, 14/46 W

Comment

Welcome, congratulations, and keep 'em coming.

Comment

Congrats, those were my first 2 as well. I still remember how WINDY it was on both peaks, but fortunately, only the last few yards, due to the wind direction.
                  Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
                  Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
                  Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
                  Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
                  CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

Originally posted by tag View Post
                    Congratulations on your 1st winter peaks! Looking at the pics, I see you carried your snowshoes so must not have been enough snow for those. How was the ice and did you use crampons at all? Just curious b/c I am climbing Algonquin, Wright, and Iroquios this Saturday.
                    Thanks. Yes, carried snowshoes and crampons on our backs the entire trip and that's where they stayed...on our backs. Never needed them. We wore mini-crampons/micro-spikes the entire trip and never needed anything else. There was snow, but the trails were packed down...really packed down. Minimal amount of ice on the trail and summits. However, there were other hikers out there with full crampons on and others using snow shoes. Everyone has their preference. The micros spikes worked fine for us from trail head to summit and back.

A word of caution, as I mentioned this was my first winter hike, so I'm a little hesitate to offer "advice". Plus from what I read on other posts the conditions on 1/26 were pretty close to being "perfect" except for the 0 degree weather. I would imagine with the warmer weather this week conditions could be quite different if everything freezes again before you set out for the weekend.

Good luck!
                    Bill

Comment

Good work!
                      My son an I are trying to pick our 1st winter peaks.
                      Seems that it's hit or miss with the gear...so bring it all.
                      We did Wright (barely)in the fall and we really needed the winter gear (alas we did not have it)
                      Thanks for the info
                      s
                      Stuart rose from the ditch, climbed into his car, and started up the road that led toward the north... somehow he felt that he was headed in the right direction. E.B.White, Stuart Little

Comment

Great job for your first peaks....love the pano of picture.
                        What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Congrats on your first winter peaks!! The Macs were also my first peaks climbed in winter. Pics were great, and I also enjoyed checking out your tshirts. They look great!
                          Shut your eyes and think of somewhere
                          Somewhere cold and caked in snow.......

Comment

Congratulations! and this is how it starts .
                            Loved your pictures!
                            We were there on Sunday- the COLD WINDY DAY ! so I am glad you chose Saturday as you might not have such warm fuzzy feelings about the hike otherwise !
                            The conditions were very unusual, with really no snow on those summits, it was easy to rock walk and never step on any snow or ice. Very Strange for Winter.
                            I am sure it has all changed now. We did wear snowshoes right from the parking lot as the ranger was asking everyone too. It is a ski trail and we respected that. However I had mixed feelings about wearing out my equipment to save someone elses (skis).
                            Think outside...no box required !

Comment

thanks

Many thanks as well to our fellow hikers who offered sincere and much appreciated advice. Hope one day to offer meaningful advice on future post.
                              The most profound thought that I am now qualified to share is that there is not much room for error when hiking in conditions like it was saturday. So all your thoughts and suggestions are very much appreciated and necessary for folks who are hiking a winter peak for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                              X