Mt. Marshall 1.27.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Marshall 1.27.13

For the past few weeks, it seems as though all I can think about is hiking. I think maybe it is cabin fever or something. Anyway, I set out to do phelps and tabletop last Monday, and I've been addicted to winter hiking ever since. So, I figured what better peak to do in the winter than Mt. Marshall? I loved the peak when I did it this fall, so it seemed as good as of a time as any to do it in the winter.

I left syracuse at about 4am, and met my hiking buddy at the nice and easy in alder creek. Next stop...tahawus. The roads were a bit slick with snow, so we got a way later start than I originally anticipated. Either way, we were on the trail to flowed lands around 815. We ran into a few people on the way in, some headed to cliff, and others headed to Marshall. We hit the flowed lands within about 2 hours, and took our time crossing the water to enjoy the views and the sunshine. From there it was off to the summit, which we reached at roughly 12ish, give or take some time.

One word. Epic! The sun, the weather, the snow, the mountains! So beautiful. After readjusting my layers to something dry, it was easy to enjoy the summit, which had minimal wind, maximum sunshine, and plenty of views to go around. We refueled, enjoyed the views and made it down lickity split. We took some time at the lean- to on the way out to rest our legs and take off some more layers. From there is was a trip to the parking lot. It went so fast, but then again went so slow. Snowshoes are definitely something to get used to wearing in the winter. I still feel like I'm wearing them today!

We made it back to the lot around 4, where we were happy to take the snowshoes off and sit down! Can't wait to do the next set of winter peaks!

That makes 46/46regular season (number pending) and 4/46 winter peaks. I'll get there, slowly but surely.
    #7760W

Glad you had such a good day for Marshall - the hike across the Flowed Lands is pretty cool. Nice TR.

Originally posted by gracepoints View Post
    For the past few weeks, it seems as though all I can think about is hiking. I think maybe it is cabin fever or something. Anyway, I set out to do phelps and tabletop last Monday, and I've been addicted to winter hiking ever since. So, I figured what better peak to do in the winter than Mt. Marshall? I loved the peak when I did it this fall, so it seemed as good as of a time as any to do it in the winter.

I left syracuse at about 4am, and met my hiking buddy at the nice and easy in alder creek. Next stop...tahawus. The roads were a bit slick with snow, so we got a way later start than I originally anticipated. Either way, we were on the trail to flowed lands around 815. We ran into a few people on the way in, some headed to cliff, and others headed to Marshall. We hit the flowed lands within about 2 hours, and took our time crossing the water to enjoy the views and the sunshine. From there it was off to the summit, which we reached at roughly 12ish, give or take some time.

One word. Epic! The sun, the weather, the snow, the mountains! So beautiful. After readjusting my layers to something dry, it was easy to enjoy the summit, which had minimal wind, maximum sunshine, and plenty of views to go around. We refueled, enjoyed the views and made it down lickity split. We took some time at the lean- to on the way out to rest our legs and take off some more layers. From there is was a trip to the parking lot. It went so fast, but then again went so slow. Snowshoes are definitely something to get used to wearing in the winter. I still feel like I'm wearing them today!

We made it back to the lot around 4, where we were happy to take the snowshoes off and sit down! Can't wait to do the next set of winter peaks!

That makes 46/46regular season (number pending) and 4/46 winter peaks. I'll get there, slowly but surely.
    An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Was that you two that our group of 3 geezers ran into on Flowed Lands and Marshall? Wearing the flourescent crimson jacket that our colour-blind hiking buddy thought was yellow?

It certainly was a great day to be out. Marshall was our 1/2 way point to 46W. It took us 25 years to finish our regular 46, hope the winter ones go a bit faster!

Comment

I so want to get out there and hike Marshall just so I can walk across flowed lands and see the area in at a different angle.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRapids View Post
          Was that you two that our group of 3 geezers ran into on Flowed Lands and Marshall? Wearing the flourescent crimson jacket that our colour-blind hiking buddy thought was yellow?

It certainly was a great day to be out. Marshall was our 1/2 way point to 46W. It took us 25 years to finish our regular 46, hope the winter ones go a bit faster!
          Yes! That was me in the neon! Hope you guys had a great trip like we did! So nice meeting you! Perhaps we'll run into each other again on our future quests!
          #7760W

Comment

Originally posted by tag View Post
            I so want to get out there and hike Marshall just so I can walk across flowed lands and see the area in at a different angle.
            You have to! It's so beautiful in the winter. Probably one of my favorite points of the adks.
            #7760W

Comment

Sounds like it a was perfect hike. would love to see some pics. :-)
              ADK's HIGH PEAKS
              Round 2 - 16/46-R
              Round 1 - 15-46-W
              Saranac Lake 6er
              6/6-R
              0/6-W
              CATSKILL 35
              5/35-R
              Devils Path Traverse

FIRE TOWERS
              8/29

"Every Mountiain top is within reach if you just keep climbing."
              -Barry Finlay

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
                Sounds like it a was perfect hike. would love to see some pics. :-)

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...shall_1_27_12/

There are some photos!
                #7760W

Comment

Thanks for sharing... the pics look awesome. Man o man... Im So jealous. Glad you guys had a perfect trip
                  ADK's HIGH PEAKS
                  Round 2 - 16/46-R
                  Round 1 - 15-46-W
                  Saranac Lake 6er
                  6/6-R
                  0/6-W
                  CATSKILL 35
                  5/35-R
                  Devils Path Traverse

FIRE TOWERS
                  8/29

"Every Mountiain top is within reach if you just keep climbing."
                  -Barry Finlay

Comment

Working...
                  X