Santanonis 1/26/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santanonis 1/26/13

Well, not quite. I got to the parking lot around 7am. There was a truck with a snowmobile trailer and one other car, both had snow on them and had obviously been there overnight. The last person to sign in at the register was on 1/23, so I figured this was going to be a solo hike………had my mind set on doing the Santanonis.
    I brought microspikes based on reports from various hikes, but it was snowshoes all the way. Actually I was surprised with the amount of snow. The trail out to Bradley Pond was broken, but not packed too well………did not appear to see a lot of use recently. It took about an hour and forty five minutes to get to Times Square HP. I was surprised to see two backpacks left there. I guess I will have some company after all, depending on how far they have gotten. A little over an hour I catch up to them on their way up Panther. Vincent and Simon from Montreal, they had stayed at the Bradley Pond lean-to the night before. I asked if they were planning to do all three peaks and if they would mind some company……..the more the merrier. The trail to Panther wasn’t bad at all and I figured this day wasn’t going to be that hard, long perhaps.
    After Panther we figured best to get Couchie out of the way, as we get to the beginning of that HP, it didn’t look like anyone had been on the trail yet this season, which I doubt, there was no path broken or discernible. Not the easiest trail to find, many spruce traps and dead ends/turnarounds and that was with Vincent’s GPS. We would take turns breaking trail and it took almost 2 hours to finally reach Couchie. It was cold out but with the bright sunshine and minimal winds it felt nice as we ate our frozen sandwiches. I was grateful for the company of my friends from north of the border, breaking trail on my own would have been pretty difficult and the GPS was a big help. So, the trail is broken for now although there are a half dozen or so divergent dead ends.
    It was after 3 by the time we got back to the cairn for Santanoni. That trail did not look broken out and, as much as it pains me, we all decided to save it for another day………..I had told my wife that I would be back in time for a nice dinner at the Ausable Inn in Keene Valley and that would easily add 2 more hours to my hike with an hour drive back. Couchie was the prize of the day, Santanoni can wait. Got back to the car by 5:30, roughly 10 hours total. 9/46W was hoping for double digits

Gary
    #7365W

Your story sounds vary familiar! I did the same thing last year with couchi not be broken. Had to go back for Santa but it ended up being one of my most fun hikes. Good job on the two!
    46/46 #7106W
    46/46W

"If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, is it still my fault?" - my brother in law

Comment

Nice Job for all involved, level heads prevail, the best course of action as it will be there for another time.
      If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Nice TR. We also ditched Santa on a hike but went back another day using the Santa Express - great way to do it.
        An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Thanks for breaking out the trail to Couch! I did all three yesterday 1/27 in great conditions, very easy to follow. The express trail was not broken so we stayed off of that.

Comment

Originally posted by langer318 View Post
            Thanks for breaking out the trail to Couch! I did all three yesterday 1/27 in great conditions, very easy to follow. The express trail was not broken so we stayed off of that.
            Nice job Langer - how long did it take you? Were you alone breaking trail to Santa?
            46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
            48 (NH 4000) + winter
            NE 115 (#706)
            NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

Originally posted by Aspiring HP Queen View Post
              Nice job Langer - how long did it take you? Were you alone breaking trail to Santa?
              It took us about 12 hours and the trail to Santa was broken but not as well as the others.

Comment

Attempting Santa for the third time on Sat. Last one for 46er stat. Heard it's been snowing last couple of days. Hope there is still some broken trail to shoe on Sat. Thanks for all the info, it really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by cbfishing View Post
                  Attempting Santa for the third time on Sat. Last one for 46er stat. Heard it's been snowing last couple of days. Hope there is still some broken trail to shoe on Sat. Thanks for all the info, it really helps.
                  Good luck! If you have time, do write up your report as we're looking to do the Santis in the days following your hike early that next week.
                  46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
                  48 (NH 4000) + winter
                  NE 115 (#706)
                  NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

Does the trail to Santa branch off at the big rock at Times square? Or is there a cairn we need to look for?

Comment

Does the trail to Santa branch off at the big rock at Times square?
                      Yes. Left for Santanoni, right for Couchsachraga. Good luck! I hope to be out there as well in the near future.
                      Looking for Views!

Comment

All three or just Santanoni? I need all three. Few inches of new snow on Whiteface yesterday, hopefully no more than that in the Santas.

Comment

Just to chime in, I may look into hiking them on February 9th
                          31/46 High Peaks
                          30/46 Winter Peaks
                          115/2,983,456 mountain bike trails

Comment

Just Santa. Intended on bagging all three the first time, but ran out of time, and only got Cooch. Then tried Santa/Panther the second time. My wife and I tried to break trail on our own first and turned around. We met up with a winter 46er and a winter 34 of 46 back at times square. Feeling more confident with them, We bushwacked less than half way across the ridge. before one of them couldn't physically push forward. There was no trail, deep snow, and traps everywhere. There wasn't even a discussion on whether or not to push forward. My wife and I didn't even look at each other. We just turned around and started hiking back. It was 2:30, so we hit Panther, and once again, we went home without SANTA. It's been a year, and there's no way we're doing it outside the winter solstice.

Comment

are you in for this Saturday? We're heading there after the weekend to see if we can get some/all of them...
                              46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
                              48 (NH 4000) + winter
                              NE 115 (#706)
                              NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

Working...
                              X