Allen 1\26\13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commissionpoint View Post
    I had me a little climb on Allen today too. -3 to start +3 at the end. Lovely conditions, and not a cloud in the sky.

Ran into veggielasagna as she was coming off the slide and I was starting up it. So nice to meet you and nice job knocking Allen off for your first peak of your second round.

Another thanks to HP Queen for the gloves she handed down to me on Seward a few weeks back. They worked great today too, fortuitous you decided you were a mitten person.
    It was nice to finally meet you! Hope the rest of your hike was excellent . I just awoke from a nap= great day

Hol- thanks for sharing the smilebox, wonderful day
    Last edited by veggielasagna; 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM.
    -veggielasagna

Comment

Smilebox was awesome as usual - great photos That blue sky makes all the differance. Looks like a fun day

Originally posted by Highonlife
      It was a great day to be out, glad we caught up with you Rob, thanks for the hug, I needed that!!

I found the layering/de-layering difficult yesterday. I still can't believe no one went to check the views out besides Rodriguez and I. You guys missed a lot, it was so worth.

Thanks Jim for yelling to me that everyone left and that we needed to go to.

Smilebox of the day.....

http://smilebox.com/play/4d7a55794e4...a513d0d0a&sb=1
      An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Originally posted by Commissionpoint View Post
        Keep your eyes on the temps this week Bill. All of the crossings were rock solid today. If it doesn't get too warm should still be ok for Sat. If it gets above freezing in Newcomb this week for any extended time period, its likely to have an effect you probably aren't looking for.
        looks like it is supposed to warm up quite a bit toward wednesday then start to get cold again wednesday night, thursday, friday, and saturday - don't know if that will be enough to freeze everything up again

Comment

Originally posted by rbalbs View Post
          Allen - 3 times in Winter? Wait - are you working on the Grid
          Twice in Winter, And NO way, never will I ever work on any Grid, lol...to much obsession and time to do that...

Originally posted by adkdremn View Post
          You're doing it again with me, right Rob???
          Ummm, No comment this time...
          ADK 46-R #6750W
          CL-50 - #51
          CATSKILLS- 9/39
          NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Congrats to all sounds like a great day to be on allen. well at least a great group of folks.

Bill, like CP said keep an eye on temps this week, may get warm enough to cause some ice jams and flooding on the Hudson and Opalescent.
            "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
            Ed Viesturs

Comment

Hi Rob!
              Congratulations to you and Holly on a successful hike. I almost went with Nancy's group, but my sister had another offer and she comes first !
              One of these days we will hook up. Glad all the crossings were safe,
              (not for long I am guessing) you are fortunate to always find the Hudson iced over!

Love the smilebox Nancy!
              Now someone has to tell me what the song is...
              my lap top is waiting for parts and my son took the speakers from my desktop PC to college so I have no sound!!!
              Please tell me so I can at least sing along !
              Think outside...no box required !

Comment

Hello- Yes it was a great day to do Allen. HOL - good call on waiting for a cold snap.
                That was my 3rd winter trip and I have to say the easiest yet!
                Rob it was nice to meet you! and Holly - nice to see you again. I'm pretty sure we met on a trip to Gothics, etc. last winter. Thanks for the assist with those minor annoying things we encounter in the winter - what was it? Numb fingers that couldn't open up a handwarmer pack and a stuck zipper? LOL
                Hope to see you all on the trails again soon. I should be at the winter gathering and will be sure to say hello.
                HIKING: "It's what I do"

Comment

I love your smile boxes Nancy. The views are spectacular. Can't wait to attempt our first official winter peak...not sure we can count Cascade and Porter last winter because last winter was too easy!
                  Moo
                  HPHikingmoo

Comment

Someone posted that they figured the Hudson wasn't bad to cross going to Allen when the gauge flow at Newcomb is below 200 cfs. And it was below 200 before the thaw, not to mention that it was also frozen over.

I just checked - it was 1010 cfs at 11:30 this morning and the gauge height has doubled from around 2 ft to 4 ft. I know it got cold as fast as it warmed up, but it seems there is still a lot of liquid water coming out of the mountains.

Comment

Agreed Bill. When I was checking it prior to my jaunt to Allen, it seemed that the water height was about 2 days behind the temperature change (it came up about 2 days after the warm spell and started receding about 2 days after the temp drop).That would probably change some with the extreme of the temperature change though.

Still curious about the comparison of the level at Newcomb relative to the height at the Allen crossing. I would also expect that with a rapid warm up the height gauge could lag significantly from the conditions at the crossing. Probably to many variables to get a useful correlation.

Comment

Originally posted by HPHikingMoo View Post
                        I love your smile boxes Nancy. The views are spectacular. Can't wait to attempt our first official winter peak...not sure we can count Cascade and Porter last winter because last winter was too easy!
                        Moo

Glad you liked them.....as for last winter depends where you went to consider the winter easy
                        Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Was nice to meet you Veggie. I was hiking with CP. Have to agree with you on the descent and not butt sliding. Allen is just too steep for me to risk going out of control. :-) It was an awesome day for hiking!
                          ADK-46R 3/17/13
                          ADK-46R-W 2/28/14

Comment

Nice, Rob!

What is your guiding fee? Steve and I need Allen in winter, too!

Perhaps there is an opportunity for a group rate?
                            If you can see it, then you start to feel it;
                            And the next thing you know, you believe,
                            and that's when dreams begin to come true.
                            --Tuck and Patti

Comment

Originally posted by muddybottom View Post
                              Nice, Rob!

What is your guiding fee? Steve and I need Allen in winter, too!

Perhaps there is an opportunity for a group rate?
                              Lol. Well following a broken trail was Hardley considered guiding. But I will offer my services as to when the crossing is good. I seem to have a good eye .
                              ADK 46-R #6750W
                              CL-50 - #51
                              CATSKILLS- 9/39
                              NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Originally posted by Highonlife View Post
                                Glad you liked them.....as for last winter depends where you went to consider the winter easy
                                We only did Cascade and Porter and some fire towers to stay in shape for summer hiking. Really want to try for Colden this winter. Just waiting for the right day!
                                Moo
                                HPHikingmoo

Comment

Working...
                                X