Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen 1\26\13

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Allen 1\26\13

    Stillwaters needed Allen for Her 32nd-W...Allen ..... was cold, -2 or so to start at 6am, after the sun came up it was so nice, clear deep blue skies never seen like them from Allen....having done Allen the third time it didn't seem as long this time but by the clock it was the same. Ran into many forum member which passed me about 20 minutes from reaching the summit. Snow was not very deep start to finish. Hardly any wind on the summit. snowshoes all day served well. crossings good., and the buttslides where fast!!!

    I gotta believe every summit was amazing Saturday under those winter skies. Hope everyone had as good of a day as I did....
    ADK 46-R #6750W
    CL-50 - #51
    CATSKILLS- 9/39
    NPT Complete 7-6-13

    Hiking photos

  • #2
    I'll have to hire you out Rob.
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

    Comment


    • #3
      Allen - 3 times in Winter? Wait - are you working on the Grid

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey Rob, great seeing you and meeting Stillwaters yesterday. Beautiful views and a great slide down Allen. The cold temps made the day challenging, but at least the water crossings were easy. See ya at the Gathering
        The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir.
        #6385W, HOL47er, Ultra6er, CL50 #524

        Comment


        • #5
          I guess it was an Allen kind of weekend...wore snowshoes the whole way today and saw some other forum members...I'll let them chime in and reveal their identities. Unlike many daring a butt-slider I made my way down from the summit and slide vvvvvvverrry slowly.

          Similar blue-bird conditions and temps compared to yesterday. Couple people signed in for Adams as well.
          -veggielasagna

          Comment


          • #6
            The music added to the beauty....Thanks for sharing

            Originally posted by Highonlife
            It was a great day to be out, glad we caught up with you Rob, thanks for the hug, I needed that!!

            I found the layering/de-layering difficult yesterday. I still can't believe no one went to check the views out besides Rodriguez and I. You guys missed a lot, it was so worth.

            Thanks Jim for yelling to me that everyone left and that we needed to go to.


            Smilebox of the day.....


            http://smilebox.com/play/4d7a55794e4...a513d0d0a&sb=1

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Highonlife
              It was a great day to be out, glad we caught up with you Rob, thanks for the hug, I needed that!!

              I found the layering/de-layering difficult yesterday. I still can't believe no one went to check the views out besides Rodriguez and I. You guys missed a lot, it was so worth.

              Thanks Jim for yelling to me that everyone left and that we needed to go to.


              Smilebox of the day.....


              http://smilebox.com/play/4d7a55794e4...a513d0d0a&sb=1
              Great Smilebox! It really captures the day.

              Were you able to cross the Hudson and the Opalescent on top of ice? Would the skiing be good until the final climb? I hope to be that way soon. Hopefully the mid-week warm up won't hurt things. It looks like I missed a golden opportunity this weekend.
              offonadventure.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Telemarkmike View Post
                Great Smilebox! It really captures the day.

                Were you able to cross the Hudson and the Opalescent on top of ice? Would the skiing be good until the final climb? I hope to be that way soon. Hopefully the mid-week warm up won't hurt things. It looks like I missed a golden opportunity this weekend.

                There were some people that skied in and I was thinking on the way out I wish I had some, water crossings were no issue but with temps rising things will change again
                Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

                Comment


                • #9
                  Great job holly and rob congrats and glad you enjoyed the day

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice smilebox. It was a beautiful day cold and all. Glad you made the summit and enjoyed some butt sliding.
                    The reward for climbing is not applause but new sight.-
                    unknown

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What a great song for your smilebox!
                      What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

                      Ralph Waldo Emerson

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You're doing it again with me, right Rob???
                        Shut your eyes and think of somewhere
                        Somewhere cold and caked in snow.......

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I had me a little climb on Allen today too. -3 to start +3 at the end. Lovely conditions, and not a cloud in the sky.

                          Ran into veggielasagna as she was coming off the slide and I was starting up it. So nice to meet you and nice job knocking Allen off for your first peak of your second round.

                          Another thanks to HP Queen for the gloves she handed down to me on Seward a few weeks back. They worked great today too, fortuitous you decided you were a mitten person.
                          Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Highonlife View Post
                            water crossings were no issue but with temps rising things will change again
                            Question is, will conditions change before next Saturday...

                            Great Smilebox, Nancy, as usual.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BillB View Post
                              Question is, will conditions change before next Saturday...
                              Keep your eyes on the temps this week Bill. All of the crossings were rock solid today. If it doesn't get too warm should still be ok for Sat. If it gets above freezing in Newcomb this week for any extended time period, its likely to have an effect you probably aren't looking for.
                              Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X