X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeakFreek
    replied
    Originally posted by alavigne View Post
    Good ol' Cliff. As you no doubt have seen, I've done that route a few times. I think the last tracklog I have (the one from 2009) has the best routing.

...Andrew
    After last weekends Couchie trailbreaking, I decided to break-out my 7yr old GPS that I have never used. It took me two days to figure out and decided to see if I could load some ADK tracklogs. Googled "ADK GPS maps" and found your site Thanks for all your effort on that, it is now loaded in my old Garmin etrex Legend and ready to go, if needed. Planning on Allen next week.

Thanks
    Gary

Leave a comment:

• alavigne
    replied
    Originally posted by bubba74 View Post
    Yes, that herdpath was wide and easy to follow, unlike my previous attempt up Marshall .

I read your writeup, thanks for the trail report. Awesome photos as usual. I think I may be attempting Cliff from Flowed Lands next depending on snow cover. Guess whose GPS track I will have loaded?
    Good ol' Cliff. As you no doubt have seen, I've done that route a few times. I think the last tracklog I have (the one from 2009) has the best routing.

...Andrew

Leave a comment:

• bubba74
    replied
    Originally posted by alavigne View Post
    That was the first time I've followed the "proper" herdpath all the way to the top. Practically a four-lane hiker highway by trailless peak standards!

BTW, if you or anyone is interested, here's my writeup of our [great] day climbing Marshall:http://alavigne.net/Outdoors/ImageGa...1-26-Marshall/
    Yes, that herdpath was wide and easy to follow, unlike my previous attempt up Marshall .

I read your writeup, thanks for the trail report. Awesome photos as usual. I think I may be attempting Cliff from Flowed Lands next depending on snow cover. Guess whose GPS track I will have loaded?

Leave a comment:

• alavigne
    replied
    [...] The hike to the HB lean-to went smoothly. About a third of the way down, we ran into a group coming up. Tori later told me that Andrew Lavigne was in the group. If I would have known that, I would have thanked him and offered him a beer afterward. He has helped me through many of my journeys in the high peaks through his website. [...]
    Hi there. Yes, that was me. Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you've found my writings useful. Sorry to hear about your foot issues! That was the first time I've followed the "proper" herdpath all the way to the top. Practically a four-lane hiker highway by trailless peak standards!

BTW, if you or anyone is interested, here's my writeup of our [great] day climbing Marshall:

http://alavigne.net/Outdoors/ImageGa...1-26-Marshall/

Leave a comment:

• bubba74
    replied
    Originally posted by ticehouse View Post
    is this a different route than the normal herd path
    Yes. The normal route starts by the uphill lean to. This route is shorter and, from what I've read, quite nice.

Leave a comment:

• ticehouse
    replied
    their goal was Cliff from Flowed Lands if broken out (as a side note, I've heard this ascent route is nice and will be my route when I attempt Cliff).

is this a different route than the normal herd path

Leave a comment:

• Crepuscular
    replied
    Nice TR. Thats my pole-half haha. Forgot to include that in my report. Didn't even connect the "snap" I heard on the summit with any personal possessions until I was halfway down and looking for a little support. Glad someone cleaned up my mess.

Leave a comment:

• bubba74
    replied
    Originally posted by veggielasagna View Post
    So what's next on the list!?
    Well, my next trip will probably be Feb 9th. As far as what I'm hiking? Hmmm, the possibilities are endless . I might be aiming at Cliff from Flowed Lands and Redfield, or the Santanonies, or maybe East, South and Macomb.....

Leave a comment:

• veggielasagna
    replied
    I wore the same socks as the previous two trips.

Thanks! The going was smooth and easy. The actual herdpath was like a highway compared to our previous route

Yes, I use Superfeet orange. I am puzzled by the foot pain. I'm hoping it was just a fluke.
    Hmm, hopefully it was just a fluke then with the "perfect storm" of variables all coming together on one day . Who knows, it may not happen again.

So what's next on the list!?

Leave a comment:

• MtDews
    replied
    Re: Foot pain... I wear AETREX orhotics in my boots and they have made an huge difference in any foot pain I've ever had! I purchase them at the Merrell outlet store down by the Great Escape theme park. Seriously amazing difference.

Leave a comment:

• bubba74
    replied
    Originally posted by mastergrasshopper View Post
    thicker socks / liners may have taken up too much room in boots.
    Less sock / room to wiggle toes = happy feet.
    Bindings, always very careful as to boot placement in bindings and how much preasure.
    Sounds like good adventure and made some friends along the way

MG " found the magic beans "
    I wore the same socks as the previous two trips.

Originally posted by veggielasagna View Post
    Congrats on getting Marshall! I wondered today how you made out. Sorry to hear about the foot troubles though...Do you have any type of custom footbed in them whether orthodics or a "superfeet" type? Strange that you didn't have trouble before though. Could be anything, feet a little swollen, colder temps etc.

Regardless, I would highly recommend some kind of custom-type insole, might help stabilize the foot a bit if you aren't already using one. Probably won't help in this situation, but may prevent other issues down the line.
    Thanks! The going was smooth and easy. The actual herdpath was like a highway compared to our previous route

Yes, I use Superfeet orange. I am puzzled by the foot pain. I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

Leave a comment:

• veggielasagna
    replied
    Congrats on getting Marshall! I wondered today how you made out. Sorry to hear about the foot troubles though...Do you have any type of custom footbed in them whether orthodics or a "superfeet" type? Strange that you didn't have trouble before though. Could be anything, feet a little swollen, colder temps etc.

Regardless, I would highly recommend some kind of custom-type insole, might help stabilize the foot a bit if you aren't already using one. Probably won't help in this situation, but may prevent other issues down the line.

Leave a comment:

• mastergrasshopper
    replied
    too much sock

thicker socks / liners may have taken up too much room in boots.
    Less sock / room to wiggle toes = happy feet.
    Bindings, always very careful as to boot placement in bindings and how much preasure.
    Sounds like good adventure and made some friends along the way

MG " found the magic beans "

Leave a comment:

• bubba74
    replied
    Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Thanks for the TR! Sounds like a very enjoyable trip despite the gear-related nuisances.

Theory: It's possible that your new boots were a bit stiffer initially and did a better job of protecting your instep from the pressure of the snowshoe binding. After being softened up by a few hikes, they may provide slightly less resistance to the binding strap and allow it to be felt a bit more by your foot. Maybe.

FWIW, snowshoe bindings have a way of inflicting pain unexpectedly. This is the third winter for my boots and, three hikes ago, the instep of my right foot developed a pain as a result of the pressure inflicted by the middle binding strap (MSR Evo Ascent). I loosened the strap as much as possible but, by the time I felt the pain, the damage was done and the instep was very tender (directly where a vein crosses over the tendon of the big toe).

For the following hike, I taped some padding to my foot on the sensitive spot. On subsequent hikes, I omitted the foam and suffered no problems. Go figure. I now carry a thin sheet of foam to serve as padding in case it happens again. Padded moleskin might serve equally well. I hope your situation is an equally temporary anomaly.
    Thanks for the information. I have the same snowshoes. By the end of the hike, I had the first two straps practically undone, but there was still pressure and the pain remained. Is it possible my boots shrunk? It seemed as though the toe box didn't have as much volume as before.

Whatever it is, I pray I can get it resolved. I have an odd shaped foot which makes finding shoes that fit almost impossible. Before this trip, these boots were the first boots ever to virtually eliminate all the previous problems I've had with boots (blistering, loss of toenails, etc).

Leave a comment:

• Trail Boss
    replied
    Thanks for the TR! Sounds like a very enjoyable trip despite the gear-related nuisances.

Theory: It's possible that your new boots were a bit stiffer initially and did a better job of protecting your instep from the pressure of the snowshoe binding. After being softened up by a few hikes, they may provide slightly less resistance to the binding strap and allow it to be felt a bit more by your foot. Maybe.

FWIW, snowshoe bindings have a way of inflicting pain unexpectedly. This is the third winter for my boots and, three hikes ago, the instep of my right foot developed a pain as a result of the pressure inflicted by the middle binding strap (MSR Evo Ascent). I loosened the strap as much as possible but, by the time I felt the pain, the damage was done and the instep was very tender (directly where a vein crosses over the tendon of the big toe).

For the following hike, I taped some padding to my foot on the sensitive spot. On subsequent hikes, I omitted the foam and suffered no problems. Go figure. I now carry a thin sheet of foam to serve as padding in case it happens again. Padded moleskin might serve equally well. I hope your situation is an equally temporary anomaly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X