True North Slide and the Lower Range 01-26-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True North Slide and the Lower Range 01-26-13

I went on Claudia's club outing today to Gothics and through to LWJ. We ascended via True North Slide. Besides Claudia and I there were Dan from Albany, Yanni and Peggy from NYC, and Henrietta from NJ.

The approach took us up under the North Face of Gothics a truly fantastic sight. From there we bushwacked to True North Slide and took it to just below the ridge. Then a second short but steep bushwack around the north side of the nubble at the NE end up to the ridge.

It was pretty chilly in the shade of Gothics. Though when we arrived at the ridge we were in the sun and zero wind. Surprisingly little wind at Gothic's summit. Armstrong was very breezy.

Some of the pics have been edited in photoshop which explains the color variation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hearthe...7632621366374/

Don

Nice pics! They made it easy to follow the route (presuming that is a tributary to Ore Bed Brook in the first few).

Comment

What a great day when you arrived on Gothics, nice and sunny and no wind - can't beat that.

I agree with GK the approach to GNF looks alot different than I remember - pretty much a sidewalk now. I assume that was Irene's work?

The conditions you had for TN Slide looked ideal and better than I remember from a summer ascent. When I went there was so much thick green moss that held water like a sponge that my feet were soaked by the time I topped out.

Looks like you were able to wear snowshoes up the slide - did you use them pretty much all day?

Comment

ah, you guys were the group that signed in right before us - what an awesome hike! So is the "true north" slide to the "left" of the cable section? What do you call that section? Is it steeper than the cable ascent?
        46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
        48 (NH 4000) + winter
        NE 115 (#706)
        NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

TNF Slide

The attached photo shows the North Face of Gothics. TN Ribbon Slide is to the left of the main face, the bottom isn't too close to the North face, but the top skirts the edge of it. The cables would be on the ridge of Gothics all the way on the right side of the photo.

Last edited by rbalbs; 01-27-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Awesome Pics and Hike .. ! Whooo hooo ! You won't get many trail vultures on that one !
            Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

Thanks for the pic - that's what I needed. Holy Cow!!! Just looking at it scares me. What an adventure!
              46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
              48 (NH 4000) + winter
              NE 115 (#706)
              NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

Looks like a great hike and thanks for the pictures.
                What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Karl View Post
                  Nice pics! They made it easy to follow the route (presuming that is a tributary to Ore Bed Brook in the first few).
                  Yes a tributary. Very open route....with the snow.

Originally posted by rbalbs View Post
                  What a great day when you arrived on Gothics, nice and sunny and no wind - can't beat that.

I agree with GK the approach to GNF looks alot different than I remember - pretty much a sidewalk now. I assume that was Irene's work?

The conditions you had for TN Slide looked ideal and better than I remember from a summer ascent. When I went there was so much thick green moss that held water like a sponge that my feet were soaked by the time I topped out.

Looks like you were able to wear snowshoes up the slide - did you use them pretty much all day?
                  We were geared up with crampons, axes, and snowshoes. Wore the snowshoes all day. We were happy about that, it being so cold, multiple gear changes would be grueling on the fingers. Conditions were good for the most part - At North Face a few icy patches but mostly thin crust, snow, and drifted snow. On the slide approaching the very top where there was hard ice that kept us from a finish over dry rock and is the reason we had to take to the woods.
                  Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rbalbs View Post
                    The attached photo shows the North Face of Gothics. TN Ribbon Slide is to the left of the main face, the bottom isn't too close to the North face, but the top skirts the edge of it. The cables would be on the ridge of Gothics all the way on the right side of the photo.

Nice picture. Trying to figure out where we entered the slide. Just above the small island of trees about 25% of the way up may be the place.

Don
                    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspiring HP Queen View Post
                      Thanks for the pic - that's what I needed. Holy Cow!!! Just looking at it scares me. What an adventure!
                      Pictures of the north face of Gothics are deceiving. The "north face" looks like a vertical wall, in actuality is basically about a 45 degree incline (which is pretty much at the low end of being a technical climb). The True North Slide is fairly tame and is frequently skied. From the picture the True North Slide looks of similar steepness to the north face, but it isn't even close.

The true north slide is a great route with excellent views as you can see from the photos. Great way to get a close up look at the north face, one of the greatest mountain features of the ADKs in my estimation. Although the north face is not super steep for a technical climb, it is still very committing and looks scary as you pointed out.

Comment

Great photos and explanations - very interesting!
                        An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Thanks for posting your trip report, it looks like a great climb and your photo's are excellent. These photo's are great beta for checking out the current conditions on the face and True North.

Because I usually don't have great success with the "search" function on the forum it would be helpful when looking up this report in the future if it was filed under the "slides" category of the forum.
                          The greatest precept is continual awareness.

Comment

Thanks for posting, I agree with DeepForest, the pics tells a lot about current condition.

Never done True North slide but did NW face more than once.

If interested go see this

http://adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17255

8000m 0/14

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
                              Awesome Pics and Hike .. ! Whooo hooo ! You won't get many trail vultures on that one !
                              Hmm.
                              I always check the register when I leave (except HPIC because either its too long a list or people waiting to sign out).

I noticed that two other groups going to True North after us Saturday.

Get's me wondering - oh well that OK. Hope our tracks helped.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X