Celebrating on Saddleback! My "W" finish 1/21/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrating on Saddleback! My "W" finish 1/21/13

No dramatic story for this trip, no multi peaks, no, multi days, no winds knocking us off the summit and not even extreme below zero. Just two women of a certain age out plodding around in the snow. For my last adventure of my winter round I wanted it to be with my sister. HighonLife was also in the mix, but it didn’t work out with the weather Sunday and she had to work Monday.
    More than half of my winter hikes have been with my sister, and most of those just the two of us. What a fantastic experience this has been. We have shared some pretty incredible adventures together…surviving physical and mental challenges, melt downs, mild irritation, encouragement, exhilaration, and some times fear. I think we have grown into two pretty amazing winter hikers!

Monday:

We were pleasantly surprised that the temp at the Garden was 15* F when we set out. As we went along I felt I had too many layers on the bottom, I was anticipating sub zero real feel, but by adjusting my top layers I was able to even it out. So it wasn’t overly cold, but there was also no blue and sun, just lightly overcast and some flurries. Not much snow down low, we wore micros to the Outpost, and kept them until Ore Bed lean-to. (barely 8 inches of snow anywhere up to that point). No new tracks after 5 corners and no one had been past the lean to in a few days, although there were some faint boot marks. The trail was becoming deeper with drifted snow. The lovely selfish people who had last been here a few days before obviously thought snowshoes were an option and not the rule. The trail was a mess. The trail spine under the drifts was sort of styrenesnow, but with all the holes it was not supportive. This became very tiring as we climbed.

At the slide the snow was firm and grippy along the edge and ice with wind blown snow out farther. We opted to stay with the trail. The climbing from here to the col was exhausting to me. The sun tried to peak out at the col! The trail was completely drifted in with packed powder on the climb to the summit and much deeper making it slow going. I was glad that I had not been on the mountain yesterday with all that blowing snow. Soon enough we were gazing at the completely wind swept bare rock ledges of the summit. WOW, I made it! The view was a little cloudy but all my friends could be seen. From the Dixes, past Basin and Marcy, to the Macs. The celebration consisted of many pictures, breezy cold wind, freezing fingers, a toast of blackberry whiskey, more pictures, freezing fingers, some food, more pictures, freezing fingers. My sister had made a little snowman flag to commemorate the moment, but the wind tried to blow off the summit! Finally we had to go, both of us had cold toes (a first for me). The descent was wonderful on our beautiful broken track. Fast but in control and out feet warmed back up quickly thank goodness. We never saw anyone all day until we got back near the outpost.

Another lovely special day with my sister! Thanks Wannabe, Love you!

Saddleback pictures:
    http://lambflock.shutterfly.com/2496
    (use fll and click on a picture and then the arrow keys for best results!)

WannabeAljr will be adding her famous wordy version later !

The Journey to 47W
    Thanks to my mentor and friend HighonLife I am a 47W !!!
    As the story goes with most I never intended on climbing all the peaks in winter, those people are nuts! But I climbed three to finish my regular 46 round and then climbed a few more, and by the next year my sister had started hiking, and she wanted to try some winters, and then she became hooked, and so it snowballed to the point I knew it was going to happen.
    Then it sort of becomes an obsession, I can really do this, I can be a Winter 46er! Wow, it is life affirming to realize that you can accomplish such a goal.

I said most of my hikes were with WannabeALjr, but there are many others that helped to get me to this point. I thank all of you that I hiked with.
    AdiDaxi asked me on the Seward hike, which was my least favorite trip in winter. I told her I couldn’t think of one, and I still can’t.

Photos say my thanks best:
    http://lambflock.shutterfly.com/2405

I also need to thank everyone on this forum for your insight, trail reports and encouragement. This is sort of like a family and I look forward to seeing you at the 'reunion' in Feb.
    Think outside...no box required !

Baaaaaa!

Congratulations. I've enjoyed the continuing saga.

Comment

Congrats!!!!!!
      Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
      I'm always gonna wanna make it move
      Always gonna be an uphill battle
      Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
      Ain't about how fast I get there
      Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
      It's the climb
      -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Mary!

A toast to your achievement and wonderful journey!

Congratulations Mary! To be accompanied and supported by your loyal partner was a most fitting finish to this chapter of the journey.

And kudos for making it a 47W - excellent slideshow!

Looking forward to the chapters to come.

Comment

Congratulations, Mary. YOU DID IT!!!

I remember we met at least twice, Donaldson and Tabletop. Were there any more times?

Great albums too.

Now that the pressure is off, you can enjoy your second round..........

Comment

Congrats!!!!
            Shut your eyes and think of somewhere
            Somewhere cold and caked in snow.......

Comment

Congratulations Mary! Nicely done
              The slideshow of all the peaks was amazing, you had some real great folks to join you, and of course WannabeAl Jr. makes it complete.

Now you can start doing Fun stuff,
              "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
              Ed Viesturs

Comment

Big Congrats
                It was great meeting on Cliff a few years back and hiking with you to McNaughton
                You rock
                The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir.
                #6385W, HOL47er, Ultra6er, CL50 #524

Comment

Awesome job!
                  ADK 46/46, 22w
                  NH 21/48
                  NE 70/115

Comment

Congratulations, Mary

That's a few steps above average in my book

Comment

Congratulations Mary!! Great accomplishment. I've enjoyed your trip reports and pics.

Comment

Mary,
                        Congratulations on your finish.
                        Don

Comment

Congratulations!! Nicely done. Great photos, as usual.

Comment

Loved the 47 slide show. Thanks for sharing your journey and congrats!!!
                            "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S.Eliot

Comment

Congrats! One of the best feelings in the world is accomplishing a goal that has taken extreme dedication to reach. BE PROUD!
                              46/46 #7106W
                              46/46W

"If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, is it still my fault?" - my brother in law

Comment

Working...
                              X