Whiteface & Esther - 1/15/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteface & Esther - 1/15/13

Trail Boss & I climbed Whiteface and Esther today from the ASRC. Crunchy firm snow all the way today. No postholing. It made for quick progress on these two. We did them both in 5 hours, 15 minutes, including at least 20 minutes on the summit of Whiteface.

We were hiking under overcast skies on Esther, but the sun came out as we approached Whiteface, and there was almost no wind.

Taras tried to show my dog Rev who was boss on the way down, to no avail. Rev likes to be in the lead.

Great day out today and great company. Thanks Taras for letting me join you today.

Pics and more TR details at:

http://www.offonadventure.com/2013/0...ilmington.html
    offonadventure.com

When I saw you two were doing this in the Upcoming Trips section yesterday, I tossed and turned all night. I was wide awake at 2am and damned near threw my stuff in the car and headed north but, my responsible side took over and I went to work today (like a good boy) wiping a few tears on the way. The pictures don't lie. It looks like it was a great day! Wish I could have joined you, Rev & Taras!
    Limped thru the Northeast 115...

Comment

Nice TR TM I was surprised of the lack of snow on the summit.
      "Now he walks in quiet solitude the forest and the streams
      Seeking grace in every step he takes
      His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
      The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver

Comment

@ Pathgrinder - That's pretty funny. Anytime you're ready to do a trip, give me a couple days notice and we can get out there.

@ Bucknut - Yeah, the HP's really took a hit with all the warm weather. There's probably only a foot up high now, although it's a consolidated foot. The summit just gets windblown.
        offonadventure.com

Comment

I was surprised with the lack of snow also . Whiteface in the Winter with all the snow makes the place look magical . Sorry to say without the snow it loses its appeal just a bit

I say go again when there is lots of snow it won't disappoint
          Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

I love that you bring your dog mine is only a 3 season hiker
            Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
              I was surprised with the lack of snow also . Whiteface in the Winter with all the snow makes the place look magical . Sorry to say without the snow it loses its appeal just a bit

I say go again when there is lots of snow it won't disappoint
              Since I'm one of these crazy list people, I have to finish my W's first... then I'll circle back around.
              offonadventure.com

Comment

Mike thanks for your trail report. Great that you were able to join up with Trailboss and have a great hike together.

I saw the most amazing sight on Whiteface two winters back when the entire Observatory and all the railings were covered in wind sculpted white snow that made all the buildings and railings appear to have large white turkey feathers glued to them. An unbelievable sight. Just below the summit where you have all the small spruces we saw they were all covered with all this white sculpted feathers making them look like a huge field of Snowy Owls looking back at us. I have seen some incredible sights in the Winter High Peaks but that sight was totally amazing. A memory to cherish. Thanks again for bringing that memory back.
                46-R (W) - By Da Holy Feesh

Comment

Great picture, nice map with route, and crisp TR.
                  What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by ADK French Louie View Post
                    I saw the most amazing sight on Whiteface two winters back when the entire Observatory and all the railings were covered in wind sculpted white snow that made all the buildings and railings appear to have large white turkey feathers glued to them. An unbelievable sight. Just below the summit where you have all the small spruces we saw they were all covered with all this white sculpted feathers making them look like a huge field of Snowy Owls looking back at us. I have seen some incredible sights in the Winter High Peaks but that sight was totally amazing. A memory to cherish. Thanks again for bringing that memory back.
                    Thanks. Do you have a picture or two of the "feathers"? I'd like to see them.
                    offonadventure.com

Comment

My hiking buddy for that day took a ton of pics of the buildings and railings in addition to close ups of the snowy owls. He now lives near you in Queensbury and I am sure we can find some for you and try to post them here. One amazing sight was those railings which are normally three inch diameter steel were transformed into twelve to fourteen inch in diameter turkey feathers. Absolutely no clue how that could even happen.

Comment

Thanks for the TR - great photos!
                        An OLD man once said …There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of LIFE, getting back up is LIVING.

Comment

Mike - here is a link to Wayne's photos - hope it works.

picasaweb.google.com/wfaiola/WhitefaceAndEster?feat=directlink

Comment

@telemarkmike
                            Thanks for the TR and the hike!
                            Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Telemarkmike View Post
                              Thanks. Do you have a picture or two of the "feathers"? I'd like to see them.
                              Mike I could not get that link to work so I sent you a PM with a manual bread crumb path to those pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X