No announcement yet.

Dix Range Dilemma 1/8/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for posting. I would like to start by making a minor correction to the original trip report: hiker A arrived back at the Slide Brook lean-to at approximately 3:00pm, not 3:45pm as I stated.

I want to address a few issues but before I want to state that I am in no way “calling out” any particular forum member. These are just general observations I am making and responding to. I also do not plan to respond to any forum member or their post unless they specifically ask me a question. I do not want to debate or argue with forum members, that was not the intention of the original trip report or this post.

To begin, I honestly did not think this situation was any kind of dilemma or problem at all. Everyone made it out safe. Only until my friend confronted me about it did I begin to analyze the situation. The only reason this is a big deal to me, is because it is a big deal to my friend.

The purpose of my post was to obtain different perspectives and possible answers to the questions I posted at the bottom of the trip report. It was also to get a consensus of the forum member’s opinions, since we are all part of the hiking community and we all have our own stories to share and learn from. It was not my intention, nor did I ever ask anyone, to choose “sides” between myself or hiker B. Obviously there are different opinions, different styles, different goals, different methods to the way we all hike. No one is right or wrong. Hike your own hike.

I would like to stress the fact that I did not in any way abandon my friends. I thought I made it clear in the trip report that we all made our individual decisions. We all agreed to a protocol before the trip began. Also, if any person I hike with asked for my help or if they obviously needed help but did not say, I would absolutely do everything in my power to fix the situation.

On another note, I do not know most of you and most of you do not know me but trust me when I say that the opinions and feelings of my friends and hiking partners are far more important to me than those on this forum.

In conclusion I would like to thank all of you for posting. Most of you gave constructive criticism and made excellent points.
    Catskill 3.5K: 35/35
    Adirondack 4K: 30/46
    White Mountains 4K: 34/48
    Colorado 14K: 16/54

Appalachian Trail thru-hike
    Sherwin NOBO 2013

Comment

About friendship...

It's OK to decide not to hike with someone, and still stay friends. I have a lot of friends who don't want to hike with me anymore, and vice versa. Whatever the reason is, we don't have to talk about it, that's just the way it is.

I like to plan according to who's going with me, or choose my partners according to which peaks I want to do. And It's not only a question of strength and pace. Personality and experience are as important, if not more.

I sincerely hope you guys are going to fix this up.

Comment

Working...
      X