Canadians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
    Give me a break! How often does a guy get to hike with Celine Dion?
    I am probably showing my age here but who is Celine Dion?

Comment

Originally posted by Azimuth View Post
      People need to call the DEC when they witness a violation not post about it later. 518-897-1300 is the non emergency number and is answered 24/7.
      As much as I am a proponent of snowshoes, are you serious? Have you actually done this? What was their response?

I have no problem with the Rangers issuing warnings or tickets to those who are postholing, as they encounter them on their normal rounds, but to dispatch a Ranger with the express purpose of nailing a postholer does not seem to me to be the most effective use of their re$ource$.

I have notified a Ranger when I saw evidence of illegal activity, but not so they could rush out and bust someone. It was after the fact, so they were aware of the problem, for the next time they were in the area.
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
        As much as I am a proponent of snowshoes, are you serious? Have you actually done this? What was their response?

I have no problem with the Rangers issuing warnings or tickets to those who are postholing, as they encounter them on their normal rounds, but to dispatch a Ranger with the express purpose of nailing a postholer does not seem to me to be the most effective use of their re$ource$.

I have notified a Ranger when I saw evidence of illegal activity, but not so they could rush out and bust someone. It was after the fact, so they were aware of the problem, for the next time they were in the area.
        A ranger may not be sent, of course, but what if one was nearby? They will not come in with a helicopter for someone with out snowshoes but they do generate a "complaint" and it can be done anon. Takes only a minute to call in with details. The dispatchers are great. They work for DEC only so it's not like your calling a 911 center.

Comment

As a Canadian, hiking on US soil (or snow rather) I encountered a couple of my fellow countrymen bare-booting their way between Marcy Dam and the Loj. I stopped and informed them that if a ranger came along they could be fined some serious coinage so they put their snowshoes on forthwith and said, "Un gros Merci!". Not more than 2 minutes later guess who came up the trail wearing a DEC uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Azimuth View Post
            There is good cell coverage on Algonquin. It is a violation not to wear skis or snowshoes in the EHPWA (no reg on cotton.). People need to call the DEC when they witness a violation not post about it later. 518-897-1300 is the non emergency number and is answered 24/7.

Gosh. I thought it was apparent that my examples in the O.P. were merely illustrative. ...and the point of the thread isn't really what to do about postholers. But heck, thanks for the info. Next time I'm on Algonquin messing with my phone and I see someone inappropriately attired, or celebrating their 46 with a bottle of suds, I'll know what number to call.
            Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

What's a Canadian?
              ADK HP 46/46 ADK HPW 13/46 http://www.idratherbehiking80.blogspot.com/ My photos "There's no such thing as failure who keeps trying, coasting near the bottom is the only disgrace." - John Popper

Comment

I am pretty much all good with the general tone of this thread, but I need to know if I can still tell "Texan" jokes.
                WNH4K:48/48, SLAT50:50/50, NEHH:100/100, NE115:115/115,
                TW72:60/72, WADK46: 18/46, 52WAV:16/52, Cat35:9/35(39)

Comment

pot and kettle

Just wondering IF Canadians ever say anything biased against American hikers?

I am thinking that has probably happened on fouderandos once or twice !

I used to be fascinated that those North of the Border are so intrigued by the Adirondacks. I now get that many are closer in proximity than those in CNY.

I live here in the ADKs and we always grew up hearing complaints about NJ rather than Canada, proximity again I am sure (Canada is in the backyard). The only bad thing about Quebec was that you people drive really FAST on the Northway!
                  Think outside...no box required !

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene
                    You mean a nice American guy like you? Short answer? Never. She is anti American.
                    After she exhausted the financial resources of her hapless Canadian fans,
                    Celine went to Las Vegas, where she won the hearts and emptied the wallets of thousands upon thousands of unknowing suburbanite Americans whose idea of a good time/quality vacation consists of buffet dining, gambling and watching the public torture of genetically challenged tigers at the hands of well coiffed German homosexuals.
                    She sang her skinny heart out for said vacationers for a couple years, filled the cargo holds of several C130s with American greenbacks, and finally, now obscenely wealthy, she decamped back to her native Quebec, where she presently and contentedly now produces test tube babies with her geriatric, cancer riddled husband.
                    In an interview, conducted in French, so as not to tip off her American fans, she referred to the very citizenry that has made her rich enough to run her own banana republic as "a bunch of gun crazies."
                    Ugly Canadians exist, and not just on hiking forums.

Ever heard of Diana Krall? Now, there's a nice girl.
                    Diana looks like a good possibility, How about Shania Twain? Do you know her, too?
                    I might be kidding...

Comment

You mean a nice American guy like you? Short answer? Never. She is anti American.
                      After she exhausted the financial resources of her hapless Canadian fans,
                      Celine went to Las Vegas, where she won the hearts and emptied the wallets of thousands upon thousands of unknowing suburbanite Americans whose idea of a good time/quality vacation consists of buffet dining, gambling and watching the public torture of genetically challenged tigers at the hands of well coiffed German homosexuals.
                      She sang her skinny heart out for said vacationers for a couple years, filled the cargo holds of several C130s with American greenbacks, and finally, now obscenely wealthy, she decamped back to her native Quebec, where she presently and contentedly now produces test tube babies with her geriatric, cancer riddled husband.
                      In an interview, conducted in French, so as not to tip off her American fans, she referred to the very citizenry that has made her rich enough to run her own banana republic as "a bunch of gun crazies."
                      Ugly Canadians exist, and not just on hiking forums.

Now that's funny YOU should do stand-up!

Comment

Now you're talkin'! And some of the best jazz album art ever. Just sayin'.
                        Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by Jack7957 View Post
                          Tim Hortons = Canadian
                          Dunkin Donuts = American
                          Starbucks = City Slicker/Yuppie wearing their overpriced Eddie Bauer/LL Bean/other "fancy" gear
                          Buffalo has far, far more Tim Hortons than Dunkin Donuts. I'd take Timmy Ho's over Dunkin any day. I'd take Labatt Blue over a Budweiser any day, too. I'd take hockey over baseball. Makes me pretty Canadian for an American.
                          ADK 46er #9204, 14/46 W

Comment

If you see this Shania, feel free to pm me. Thanks Charlene! I didn't know she had ties to Lake Placid.
                            I might be kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineLamb View Post
                              Just wondering IF Canadians ever say anything biased against American hikers?!
                              I don't know about biases against American hikers but I recall an amusing anecdote that may forever poison your memory if you ever hear an old speech by LBJ.

A merkin is a pubic hairpiece.

LBJ would typically begin his speeches with "Mah fellow merkins ..."

You're welcome!
                              Looking for Views!

Comment

Working...
                              X