Finding Lookout Rock beyond Mt Blake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Lookout Rock beyond Mt Blake

Climbed Colvin and Blake and continued on to Lookout Rock and toward the Pinnacle last weekend. The weather and views were amazing. Enjoyed the beer and company at the camp site as well.

Here are a few notes:

There is a second view from Colvin that is a few hundred feet beyond the first view that is more open. Both offer impressive views of the great range and Ausable valley.

The hike to lookout rock from Blake is an easy 0.4 miles but it is easy to miss lookout rock. If you come to two big boulders that restrict the trail width you have gone to far. Lockout Rock is within 0.1 miles from the boulders back toward Blake and just below a small summit. It is right off the trail on top of a boulder with no significant spur path. Watch for a sign above head height on a tree above the boulder on the side of the trail looking toward the great range. The view from lookout rock is worth the trip offer an amazing view with solitude.

I though I was on pinnacle but now I am not sure after looking on google earth. Finding it from the map in the woods can be tricky. There was a sign that said view 72 steps at a fork in the trail near the view I was at. There is a nice view of Elk lake from this location and a view of the Dix range with slight obstruction.

The trail beyond Blake has the remote feel of a heard path and is a tunnel of green through moss and evergreen trees traversing low to moderate peaks.

Sounds good

Thanks for the TR. I was too rushed the when I hiked those 2 peaks to do much exploring although I did find a good spot to gaze at Elk Lake. Looks like it's worth a return visit especially with the ladders improvements to the trail.
    Orono Stewie

Comment

Pinnacle is quite a ways beyond the 72 steps sign. There is also a ladder that leads up to the summit area of Pinnacle.

Here's a pic of the Lookout Rock location. The lookout is right there...no approach.
      Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by metricspork View Post

There is a second view from Colvin that is a few hundred feet beyond the first view that is more open. Both offer impressive views of the great range and Ausable valley.
        Completely agree. I noticed the same path just past the summit and had a "wonder where this goes?" moment. It's not to be missed. I actually enjoyed these views better than the actual summit. Here's one of the pics and there are a few more on my blog report.

http://www.adkhighpeaksforheroes.com

Comment

Originally posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
          Pinnacle is quite a ways beyond the 72 steps sign.
          Looks like about 2 miles in fact.
          Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
          Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
          Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
          Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
          CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

Originally posted by metricspork View Post
            Climbed Colvin and Blake and continued on to Lookout Rock and toward the Pinnacle last weekend. The weather and views were amazing. Enjoyed the beer and company at the camp site as well.

Here are a few notes:

The hike to lookout rock from Blake is an easy 0.4 miles but it is easy to miss lookout rock. If you come to two big boulders that restrict the trail width you have gone to far. Lockout Rock is within 0.1 miles from the boulders back toward Blake and just below a small summit. It is right off the trail on top of a boulder with no significant spur path. Watch for a sign above head height on a tree above the boulder on the side of the trail looking toward the great range. The view from lookout rock is worth the trip offer an amazing view with solitude.

I though I was on pinnacle but now I am not sure after looking on google earth. Finding it from the map in the woods can be tricky. There was a sign that said view 72 steps at a fork in the trail near the view I was at. There is a nice view of Elk lake from this location and a view of the Dix range with slight obstruction.

The trail beyond Blake has the remote feel of a heard path and is a tunnel of green through moss and evergreen trees traversing low to moderate peaks.
            Glad you found the site Steve. Great company indeed. I think you're gonna have to re-climb Pinnacle to see that view of the Ausable Lakes and Range-it's worth it.

Comment

Great to see others heading out to Lookout Rock and 72 Step Lookout. Both have very nice views. I had been on Blake 12 or so times but until recently had never been to Lookout Rock or Pinnacle - well worth the trip.

Comment

Thanks for the picture and clarifying the location of the pinnacle

Comment

Originally posted by krummholz View Post
                  Glad you found the site Steve. Great company indeed. I think you're gonna have to re-climb Pinnacle to see that view of the Ausable Lakes and Range-it's worth it.
                  Agreed, I like to go see Pinnacle from the Elk lake approach

Comment

Working...
                  X