Street & Nye 7/23/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street & Nye 7/23/12

After getting up at 4 am and driving for 4 hours, we got on the trail at 8:30. The temperature said 68, but the humidity made it feel much hotter as the day went on. We had the trail to ourselves, no one had signed in before us. We did meet a group as we summitted Nye, but they went over to Street and never caught up with us as we came down.
    The trail itself, as others have said recently, was so easy to follow and just a beautiful walk in the woods. The crossings were easy as the water levels are so low. We had one tricky spot on our way back down when we stopped at Indian Pass Brook to soak our feet and thought we had to cross the brook to continue; had to look around for the trail a bit and re-read the guidebook and realized we didn't cross it again at that point.
    The views from the summits weren't wonderful like some of the other mountains, but, a spur trail to the left of Street leads to fantastic views if you are willing to bushwhack a bit. Nye was a bit of a let down, but the four tenths of a mile to the summit was quick and before we knew it we were on top. Not sure it was actually 4 tenths of a mile. I loved the meandering through the woods and would definately do this hike again.
    Left the junction of the Summits at 2 and was back to the car by 4. Going down was very quick. We needed lots of water though since the humidity was very high. I went through 5 liters myself! Ended the day with at trip to the Mountaineer and dinner at the Noonmark. No pie though. Ice Cream at Natural Bridge to break up the long journey home.
    These make #8 and #9 for me and my son is at 20.
    A great day in the woods.
    HPHikingmoo

way to go, Moo!
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

These two are really a nice hike - the woods are so enjoyable.
      Glad you had a great day!
      Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
      Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Congrats! I did the same trip the day after you. Sometimes I wonder when I meet someone on the trail if I'll see a trip report of theirs on here. Hasn't happened yet. Nabbed me 7 and 8 of 46 on that trip.
        "Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence." -Hermann Buhl

36/46

2/46W

My 46er journey - http://adkjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good Report! These two always get a bad rap in the views department. I hiked them in Mid-April with snowpack still on the ridge and the viewpoints on the ridge and summits were very good. I found them one of the easiest of the 46 climbs. Happy Hiking!

NYE has views:

So does STREET:
          ADK 46/46 4W CATS 39/39 8W ADK100 63/102 VT35 26/29 FT's 25/29 VT FT's 9/15

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
          "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Comment

You had some pretty good views. Maybe the lack of foliage? Fog stopped me from getting any views.
            "Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence." -Hermann Buhl

36/46

2/46W

My 46er journey - http://adkjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

We, too, loved the walk through the woods for Street and Nye, and didn't see a thing because of drizzle and mist the whole day, but loved spending the hours together with our kids anyway.

enjoy,
              Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
                Good Report! These two always get a bad rap in the views department. I hiked them in Mid-April with snowpack still on the ridge and the viewpoints on the ridge and summits were very good. I found them one of the easiest of the 46 climbs. Happy Hiking!

NYE has views:

So does STREET:
                Wow those are some beautiful pictures. There were some very nice spots on the hike and I agree, I thought the hike was one of the easiest yet. Even easier than Cascade and Porter.
                HPHikingmoo

Comment

Working...
                X