X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen and WOW! 7.20-7.22

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/2012...allen-7-20-12/

wordy above, synopsis below.

Allen was not WOW...that was the Women's Only Weekend for trailwork with the 46rs.

I have to say, when I started "planning" my peaks, I never thought Allen would be done twice in the same year...but then again, none of it has turned out much like my original plan. And I am so glad.

Allen was a long walk in the woods, tall grass, and up and over rocks-- very different from back in February when it was wide open with all kinds of views, but still great conditions. No slime, or easily avoidable. The Hudson and Opalescent were a breeze to cross... very shallow.

Lake Jimmy...not so much. Easy in the morning to run across the unstable section but in the afternoon it had floated away and took some ingenuity to get across thanks to my older son. Lots of pictures of that fiasco.

But a 12 hour day with comfortable conditions, and we met Pathgrinder too. Always nice to met forum folks.

Saturday and Sunday were spent doing the WOW trailwork and it was terrific. I highly recommend it to everyone...bridge construction, rock work, and beer.

And it was a pleasure to meet Maria and see Pete Hickey and Joe Cedar as our Trailmasters.
    Last edited by WannabeALjr; 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM.
    Ready to join AlpineLamb's flock...

46W +1W
    AlpineAce: 46/46
    AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/

I first did Allen in August of 2006. I didn't expect to return for a while, either. But then I got back to school, and we started organizing Outing Club trips for the fall semester- and it was requested that we have an overnight trip to Allen Mountain early on in the semester. And sure enough, less than a month later, I was again leading a trip to Allen Mountain. Of course, the two club members who'd asked to have an Allen trip ended up backing out at the last moment, but the rest of us who went on the hike had fun anyways.

Sounds like you had fun too... and the trailwork is of course a great way to get involved. The world can always use more trailwork volunteers.

Comment

Always love your wordy version! Wish I had thought to tell you that in person but, we were walking out on Day 3 of our adventure and pretty fatigued. Glad to hear everything went well and congratulations to all of you for getting a tough one! Gotta love those views from Allen!
      Limped thru the Northeast 115...

Comment

Great TR on a long, eventful day of hiking! This is certainly the kind of hike for me where such a detailed account will help tremendously with planning. Looks like you and your boys had a great time out there.
        http://www.adkhighpeaksforheroes.com

Comment

Wannabe, it was great to meet you and Mary this weekend! I understand completely how you felt about getting up on Saturday to face 2 days of trail work after a hike like that, but WOW was definitely a very fun time. And your boys were quite the troopers on Allen - even when tough, these experiences will stay with them the rest of their lives so good for you for creating the moments.
          Last edited by Maria; 07-24-2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks again for getting down and dirty in the mud. Was nice working with you.
            (as well as the others)
            Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Congrats to all! Love reading those "wordy" versions with photos.
              46R - #4541W
              CL50 - #100
              Northville-Placid Trail :
              Saranac 6 - Winter

Comment

Nice to see the pictures They are super as usual so I feel like I was there!
                I really can't believe he spent all that time in the water trying to "help" the Lake Jimmy Bridge. Just an amazing effort!

Congrats on being down to the single numbers flock , you all should be very proud!

It was great to share WOW weekend as well...
                Think outside...no box required !

Comment

Oh.... I gotta tell this story about something that happened on the WoW weekend... Alpine Lamb was whacking at a 12 inch spike with a sledge hammer, but she just didn't have enough strength to get it in. I suggested that if she could get mad, maybe she would swing that sledge harder.

Wannabe came to the rescue.... she started whining..."Are we there yet?" "This is too steep".... I'm tired.....this is farther than you said it was....

After hearing that whining, Alpine Lamb whackked that sucker in with only a few swings!

They make a good team.
                  Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey View Post
                    I suggested that if she could get mad, maybe she would swing that sledge harder.
                    Wannabe She-Hulk?
                    46/46, 12/48, 58/115
                    46-R #6866

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                      I first did Allen in August of 2006. I didn't expect to return for a while, either. The world can always use more trailwork volunteers.
                      I "planned" to finish the 46 first, then repeat peaks, but I have repeated 19 of them. Trailwork was fun and satisfying, but also gave me a real appreciation. Some of those big rocks do NOT just land in the middle of muddly areas, as I am sure you know.

Originally posted by JW1069 View Post
                      This is certainly the kind of hike for me where such a detailed account will help tremendously with planning.
                      I am glad to provide some info, since so many people have given me the 411 prior to hikes.

Originally posted by Maria View Post
                      Wannabe, it was great to meet you and Mary this weekend! I understand completely how you felt about getting up on Saturday to face 2 days of trail work after a hike like that, but WOW was definitely a very fun time. And your boys were quite the troopers on Allen - even when tough, these experiences will stay with them the rest of their lives so good for you for creating the moments.
                      Thank you! Maria, I really enjoyed meeting you and hope that I'll see you again on the trails or trail work!

Originally posted by pete_hickey View Post
                      Oh.... I gotta tell this story about something that happened on the WoW weekend... Alpine Lamb was whacking at a 12 inch spike with a sledge hammer, but she just didn't have enough strength to get it in. I suggested that if she could get mad, maybe she would swing that sledge harder.

Wannabe came to the rescue.... she started whining..."Are we there yet?" "This is too steep".... I'm tired.....this is farther than you said it was....

After hearing that whining, Alpine Lamb whackked that sucker in with only a few swings!

They make a good team.
                      I had a lot of years practicing whining to AlpineLamb as she can attest. It was nice to put it to good use!

Originally posted by AdkWalrus View Post
                      Wannabe She-Hulk?
                      I'll always be wannabe there...she'll always be faster and stronger!
                      Ready to join AlpineLamb's flock...

46W +1W
                      AlpineAce: 46/46
                      AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Working...
                      X