No announcement yet.

7/21 - Couchy & Panther, Saving Santa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you had a great day!! You guys are always inspiring. Now I really wish I had done the Santanoni's last weekend while it's still dry instead of Algonquin! Lesson learned...
    11/46

Comment

Nice TR!
      The first time I did the Santas it was overcast and raining, no views from anywhere. Probably a good thing because when you look at the routes from Panther it can be a little disheartening, kind of psyches you out mentally.
      Two winters ago I found myself in the same situation and decided to come back for Santanoni. Actually I am glad I did, ended up finishing the W on Santa on a perfect day with Topogothics and as a single peak it makes for a nice day, not too easy, not too hard but very rewarding.
      A nice loop if you want an adventure is to bushwhack over to the Twin Slide then push through some thickness at the top and come back via the "express"
      Not a difficult slide climb but it is thick at the top and the slide itself is incredible.
      "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by DackerDan View Post
        We saw the sign for time square
        Hmm, that's new. A sign for the herdpath to Santas. Was it an offical one - brown with yellow letters? Was the text really "time square"?

Don

Comment

I love Couch's awesome vista of the Sewards about 1 mile in
          "Now he walks in quiet solitude the forest and the streams
          Seeking grace in every step he takes
          His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
          The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
            Hmm, that's new. A sign for the herdpath to Santas. Was it an offical one - brown with yellow letters? Was the text really "time square"?

Don
            Yes - brown with yellow letters, but hand painted letters, not neat block letters, so not official and yes it said "Time Square", I think you need to get back there, your getting out of date.

PS: ADKGurl's blog is now up to date.
            Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
            Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post

Don
              Yes, since the re-route takes you past the rock cairn denoting the herd path.

See the 3rd image from my blog post from last month:

http://www.offonadventure.com/2012/0...nge-62812.html
              offonadventure.com

Comment

Mike,

Printed out your blog to use as a guide - that picture of Bradley pond was what kept us looking for the beaver dam, we knew from that photo we were not crossing in the right place, otherwise we would see more of the pond than we did - most useful report.

Thanks again.
                Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
                Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Great job! My first trip to the Santas was done with my second son on a day that was in the 90s and humidity to match. I had thought I had broken my toe the day before and when we stood on Panther and looked at those views of Couch and Santa I knew I was done for the day. Confirmed the broken toe when I got home. Second trip I got all three but also some mild dehydration because I failed to fill up before leaving Panther Brook. I look forward to your next report, even though it'll be a while.
                  "Where I'm goin', I don't know
                  But I'll be headed out in sun, rain, hail or snow"
                  -The Saw Doctors

Comment

Great report as always, Dan. I loved the views from the Santas, but I know what you mean about Santanoni looking intimidating from Panther. The views back towards the Macs and the Great Range in the distance from Santa are awesome, I'm sure you'll enjoy!

Comment

Thanks for a detailed report... especially the 'unofficial' Times Square sign.

We are considering 2 or 3 of these on our next trip late August!

Awesome job for ADK Gurl!
                      46/46... awaiting my number !

Comment

Working...
                      X