The Dix Curse in Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dix Curse in Broken

In case you've missed me (I'm sure ) it's not because I'm on the couch eating pizza - Fiddlehead and I have been hiking the Whites in NH working towards out NE 115! In short order, we only have 8 more peaks to go in NH. Today I decided to break the Dix curse-the first time I came up the Beckhorn, it started to POUR - it was raining so hard and got so cold that I remember barely being able to get UP the Beckhorn (it scared me) and we basically tagged the summit as quickly as we could so we could get off the peak. No views of course. As avid forum members may recall, this winter we did a 14 1/2 hour traverse of the Dixes but with the longer than planned day and the impending blizzard, we found ourselves on top of Dix right as the weather was getting severe and there was no visibility. We practically ran across the peak and I had to go down some of the steep sections backwards. So today, I decided just to do an "easy" day and go UP Dix on a nice day from 73. 3 hours 35 minutes up, 3 hours 20 minutes down. I'll be brief - it was gorgeous - the perfect day. I spent 2 hours on the summit and played around a bit by visiting the Beckhorn, my former nemesis. When it's dry (and not wet or iced over) it's easy! Even fun. I made myself climb down and then scamper back up. So I'm over my fear of the Beckhorn for now (in case you were worried). Trail was in great shape. The 1600 foot steep part is steep for sure, but with all the Whites we've been doing, it didn't seem that bad. I secretly like when you do all the elevation at once - it makes it go quicker. Dix is just an awesome peak - the views were incredible to the great range, Santis, Vermont, Nippletop, Colvin.... everything! Alas, I didn't have a camera (long story) but hopefully someone else will post pics. Does anyone know about how climb-able the side is? One guy tried and came back down and another group was attempting it - I didn't know you could even go up that slide on the right - I'll let Neil fill me in since he's the crazy slide climber/bushwhacker. So nice to meet so many great people on top including a couple (not sure of their names) who just finished their 46 last week - congrats! A perfect day to get over my Dix issues. Now it's one of my top picks.
    46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
    48 (NH 4000) + winter
    NE 115 (#706)
    NE Winter 115 (#82)

Nice Report,
    Good job on confronting your nemesis. You deserve the views after a 3rd summit climb! I still think the Beckhorn is one of the most interesting geologic features in the ADK's. Happy Hiking!
    ADK 46/46 4W CATS 39/39 8W ADK100 63/102 VT35 26/29 FT's 25/29 VT FT's 9/15

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
    "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Comment

Hi,

So glad you finally got the amazing views from Dix, and spent an appropriate amount of time to enjoy them!

Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Aspiring HP Queen View Post
        In case you've missed me (I'm sure )
        Well of course we did!

Originally posted by Aspiring HP Queen View Post
        So today, I decided just to do an "easy" day and go UP Dix on a nice day from 73. 3 hours 35 minutes up, 3 hours 20 minutes down. I'll be brief - it was gorgeous - the perfect day. I spent 2 hours on the summit and played around a bit by visiting the Beckhorn, my former nemesis.
        I didn't get any views on Dix until my third or fourth time up. On one occasion it was clear except for the last 100 feet, so I sat huddled in a hole, out of the wind and blowing mist waiting for it to clear. It never did. Fortunately, there are so many interesting ways to climb this peak that there is always a reason to go back.

Comment

Thanks for the TR. With the way summer is flying by I don't think we will make it there this year as much as I would like.
          Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
          Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Working...
          X